A athlon 3000 32 bit system or a athlon 3000 64 bit system

edited December 2005 in Chit chat
They will cost about the same which i was suprised to learn, but which system would you recommend, if i build the 64 bit one, can I still play my 32 bit games ??
And i have noticed that Far Cry has a 64bit version available will it only run with the 64 bit version of windows XP ???
+ i remember reading that someone had a lot of probs with SATA drives should i buy a SATA 2 drive or the older eide drives, would there be much difference ????
I am buying new motherboard processor and hard drive, windows media centre edition, could i reuse my pc case and memory ??
Sorry for all the questions but the time has come for a new pc and i don't want to waste any money buying the wrong items.

[ This Message was edited by: swordheart on 2005-12-04 13:53 ]
Post edited by swordheart on

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Go for the 64bit but install 32bit windows.

You'll only have problems with the SATA drives if you are booting from it. You need to make sure you have the driver on a floppy before you install as the installation process doesn't pick up SATA drives. If you go for x64, make sure you have the 64bit driver.

SATA drives are bloody fast, but I have killed 2 that were just over 12 months old. Not a very good record considering I have IDE drives that have lasted for years.

If your case is a standard one, then it is reusable. As for the memory, it depends on how old it is. I tend to buy new memory at the same time as the motherboard.
    My test signature
  • edited December 2005
    Hi foggy thanks for the reply the case is a M Atx case with a 200watt power supply thanks for pointing that out i had totally forgotten about that so i guess it aint powerful enough ????
    Do the SATA drivers have to be installed before the operating system ( which would mean i will need a floppy drive as well ) because i was going to have the sata drive as the boot drive, or do you mean a SATA drive cannot be used as a boot drive ?
    Have u gone back to a normal eide drive ?
  • edited December 2005
    Can you confirm which CPUs you're considering. AMD made/make:

AthlonXP-3000 (Socket-A, 32bit)
    Sempron-3000 (Socket-A, 32bit)
    Sempron-3000 (Socket-754, 32bit)
    Sempron-3000 (Socket-754, 64bit)
    Athlon64-3000 (Socket-754, 64bit)
    Athlon64-3000 (socket-939, 64bit)

When you say 32bit Athlon, I assume you're refering to a Socket-A system (Just making sure because AMD also released Socket-754 Semprons with the 64bit extensions disabled, effectively making them 32bit).

If you do, be aware that Socket-A has been depreciated by AMD and they're slowly dropping support for it. I know a lot of suppliers are now finding it difficult to get their hands on socket-A processors and they're virtually all Semprons when they do. AthlonXP CPUs are getting as rare as hens teeth.

If you are talking Skt-754 Sempron (and not athlon64), unless you're really unlucky and buy from a supplier shifting old stock, they now also support 64 bit just like the Athlon64.

MikeW
  • edited December 2005
    At the start of installing windows from CD you'll get a blue screen (it's blue most of the time) with text at the bottom saying that if you need to install 3rd party RAID drivers etc press whatever now.

I'm assuming that you'd press whatever button and try to install the SATA drivers there.
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-04 21:20, VincentAC wrote:
    At the start of installing windows from CD you'll get a blue screen (it's blue most of the time) with text at the bottom saying that if you need to install 3rd party RAID drivers etc press whatever now.

I'm assuming that you'd press whatever button and try to install the SATA drivers there.

Thats right. And you WILL need a floppy drive. Pretty bizzare as Windows 98 picks up the SATA drives without needing to install the drivers!

I've gone back to eide drives as boot drives & use SATA as data drives.
    My test signature
  • edited December 2005
    I've had one SATA drive and it went tits up after 4 months. Same problem has occurred at work several times too. They are lightning quick but the technology is just too dodgy IMO.

Definitely go for the 64 bit CPU. I've had mine for a year now and it is superb. Nothing has failed to run on it so far. I wouldn't bother with a 64-bit OS just yet though, it works well enough I suppose but drivers are a major issue with it as a lot of the smaller manufacturers don't do 64 bit drivers.

The 64-bit version of Far Cry is stunning; the textures, draw distance, etc far out-strips the 32-bit version.
  • edited December 2005
    Hi thanks for the info guys, i can tell you it will save me a hell of a lot of frustration.
    Mike yeah i was thinking of a socket A. Hadnt realised that socket 754 were Semprons and 939's were Athlon64's, I was on the verge of buying a 754 motherboard,
    I haven't built a new PC for years, And havent read about all the different versions. Can't wait to play Far Cry mastertronic are releasing it at ?9.99 with the 64bit version included in January :)
    I had a quick search about sata drives and was reading a site that mentioned how unreliable they are, how they can get away with releasing a standard that is unreliable i don't know.

[ This Message was edited by: swordheart on 2005-12-04 22:52 ]
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-04 22:47, swordheart wrote:
    Hi thanks for the info guys, i can tell you it will save me a hell of a lot of frustration.
    Mike yeah i was thinking of a socket A. Hadnt realised that socket 754 were Semprons and 939's were Athlon64's, I was on the verge of buying a 754 motherboard,

No, a socket 754 can also support the Athlon64. I have a 754 pin board and an Athlon64 3000+.

but the 754 boards are for the dicontinued line of Sempron/Athlon processors. Only get the (current) 939 pin boards now.
  • edited December 2005
    You've probably already thought about this but...

Although it's not been mentioned, make sure you get a decent graphics card (getting that kind of spec PC means one thing, games).

But don't belive the crap that you need the latest nvidia or ati dogs-bollox-fast-as-a-mutha-fucka-ninja-bast card.

I'm still using an ATI Radeon 9600 and that (with 3000 64 bit amd, 1gb mem) has coped with all of the latest games. I couldn't give a sh!t about playing at 1280-1024 res, 6408480 with all the gubbins turned on does me just fine.

I've always stood by the rule of buying laetst technology minus 2 generations for my grpahics cards when the latest games have started "cludging" with my current one.
  • edited December 2005
    I'm still using my GeForce FX5200.

Surprisingly it can handle HL2 no bother at 800*600 with all the trimmings! Mind you, 1GB RAM helps it along nicely :D
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited December 2005
    I'm going to get a 6600gt card at about ?120 is that best quality card i could get for the money ??
    Starglider do u mean that AMD are going to be making 939 semprons, or have they already, I dont know could be a daft question i just asked then ah well.
  • edited December 2005
    Well these will be my last questions on this subject ( i promise ) what i am going to do is have 2 HDD each with a different version of windows on, what i want to be able to do is boot from either HDD1 or HDD2 ( by changing the motherboard bios at post ) and so boot from 1 of the 2 versions of windows, and be able to read and save files on the unbooted drive,

Will there be any conflicts of any sort if i do this

will the HDD's need to be on different ide cables and each set to master or can they be on the same ide cable with 1 set to master and 1 set to slave
  • edited December 2005
    Either way will work.
    My test signature
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-04 21:24, fogartylee wrote:
    On 2005-12-04 21:20, VincentAC wrote:

Pretty bizzare as Windows 98 picks up the SATA drives without needing to install the drivers!

But isn't there a problem if the HD is larger than 130gig (if I remember correctly) ... or was it that it only detects the first 130 gigs ... or something like that.

Skarpo
    :)
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-05 15:55, swordheart wrote:
    I'm going to get a 6600gt card at about ?120 is that best quality card i could get for the money ??
    Starglider do u mean that AMD are going to be making 939 semprons, or have they already, I dont know could be a daft question i just asked then ah well.

Actually for that price, you should be able to pick up a 6800 for under ?120 online.

As for the processor? Get an Athlon64 939 pin. In the long term, you will get more benefits from a 64 bit processor from future OS's.