US Gold arcade conversions, did you like them?

edited December 2005 in Games
I recently read Retro Gamer and there was an article about Streetfighter II on Speccy, and i wondered if anyone had played it, or any of the other US Gold arcade conversions, like Final Fight...

Which was your favourite US Gold game, and which was your worst?

For me LED Storm (Speccy) was my fave and SF2 for C64 being the worst, i said C64 because i haven't played many speccy US Gold games.
Post edited by Resident0 on

Comments

• edited December 2005
    US Gold did some amazing conversions. My favourites are :-

Spy Hunter
    Tapper

Street Fighter 2 is the worst one. I bought that when it was originally released and I thought it was awful. Too slow to be playable and the multiload was a pain in the arse (you had to play through both sides of the tape to load the characters and the background).

Necros.
  • edited December 2005
    Bionic Commandos and Street Fighter stick out for me. Solomon's Key and Gauntlet were excellent.
  • edited December 2005
    Tapper was a good conversion, as playable as the arcade.

• edited December 2005
    720? was a good game, if only because it was the only way I could skateboard without mashing up my face.
  • edited December 2005
    Tapper, Zaxxon and Bionic Commando were the ones that did it for me.

Street Fighter 2 was the only game that I (as an ickle 11-year-old with a couple of quid pocket money a week) paid more than a fiver for. It was also the most regrettable purchase of my Spectrum gaming life. It is an absolutely abominable game and seemed to be concentrating on big, juicy graphics instead of decent gameplay. 8-bit SF2 versions just didn't work - the best was actually the C64 version if I remember (which wasn't all too bad in itself, but wasn't great)
  • edited December 2005
    There were some great games but also some terrible ones (Breakthru)

Some of my favourites were 720 degrees, Bionic Commando, Gauntlet, Last Duel.

1943 and Side Arms arent bad but just wish the 1942/1943 type of games were just a bit better. Considering how basic they were i thought the Speccy games werent the best.

At the time i loved Outrun but looking back at the Speccy conversion its not great and the games dull as anything.

Gauntlet was brilliant and an excellent 2 player game.
  • edited December 2005
    Outrun was awesome, i went to london once for a hospital visit and picked this up in a little store coming home, i remember reading the manual and box about 20 times on the way home, it was the one with the 2nd tape with the audio soundtrack.

I liked that game, i think it had a multi load though?

I so wish i could go back to that time and do it all again.
  • edited December 2005
    You actually liked OutRun? That's got to be a first...

Some of US Gold's arcade licences were great - ghouls n ghosts, un squadron, mercs, 720, thunderblade to name but a few..
  • edited December 2005
    I mostly found arcade conversions to be a let down no matter who programmed/published them. The speccy(and other 8-bits) just wasn't quite enough for many arcade games. I'm not saying I wasn't gobsmacked with what was achieved but I sometimes thought "Why did they bother?? The speccy is stretched to snapping point and the game is crap.".
    For every good conversion there were at least three crap, over ambitious ones.
    eg: Commando(good) - Kung Fu Master, OutRun, StreetFighterII all pure muck(and three of my fav games ever - in the arcade).

ASpec.
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • edited December 2005
    When I was a kid I really didn't have much of a clue what was an arcade conversion and what was an original game - I didn't arrive in the arcades until Streetfighter 2 came along.

Favourite US Gold games:

Strider and its sequel
    Tapper
    Gauntlet (all of them except 3)
    Winter Games
    Thunderblade
    Heroes of the lance (& Dragons of flame)

I don't know how many of them were arcade conversions but I always thought US Gold varied in quality a lot more than Ocean did.

I also thought Final Fight and SF2 were impressive efforts - just not very playable ones.
  • zx1zx1
    edited December 2005
    I hated Streetfighter 2, too slow and took too long to load. Some of my US Gold faves were Tapper, Beach Head, Spy Hunter and Monaco Grand Prix (I think it was called that!) was quite good but fave company was Ocean (and Mastertronic).
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited December 2005
    tapper i used to love
    and spy hunter (for some reason i now hate it tho)

and gauntlet i used to play on the speccy
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited December 2005
    Tapper and Beach Head were two games that I quite liked. US Gold did a fine job there. As far as conversions go, Elite was the company to beat though.
  • edited December 2005
    Thought Beach Head II was very bad, that first level was boring as hell. Good you could play as either team though.

I agree with you about Elite. Commando/Ikari/Bombjack/Space Harrier/Paperboy were all very very good. Just a pity 1942 was pretty dire.
  • edited December 2005
    I liked 1942 actually. Admittedly, 1943 was better but the first one was still fun.

Necros.
  • zx1zx1
    edited December 2005
    I can't remember the difference between 1942 and 1943, it's been so long since i've played 'em.
    MERRY XMAS TO ALL SPECCY ADDICTS!!!
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited December 2005
    I will hold my hand up and say that I love Outrun on the Speccy (the 128k version anyway - that multiload on the 48k must be a right annoyance). I actually prefer it to Chase HQ!

I got Outrun and Gauntlet as Christmas presents the year I got my +2 and played both to death.

Outrun the arcade game is one of my all time favourites and imo the Speccy conversion is the best of the 8-bit efforts, even if it is a tad slow. Great graphics and bags of character.

It even beats the 16 bit Amiga version which is just apalling!

Outrun was the first game i downloaded from the WOS archive after I got my emulator up and running, and now that I can play it at x2 speed it's even better. Shame there's no option to switch between (the great) music and SFX though.

Other fave US Gold conversions:

Spy Hunter
    Crystal Castles
    Thunderblade
    Road Blasters

Great US Gold games:

Impossible Mission
    Beach Head
    People From Sirius (YS covertape game)
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-22 09:28, zeropolis79 wrote:
    You actually liked OutRun? That's got to be a first...

I loved OutRun. I remember borrowing it from a mate at Cubs and played it solidly for weeks. OK, so the multi-load was a real pain and it did slow down at times, but I think it is a class conversion, and I still play it (under emulation-it gets rid of the multiload) today.

Final Fight was a good conversion too. the graphics were great (if abit slow). I brought that on it's day of release and never regreted the decision. Great conversion.

Street Fighter 2 was just shit. A real pain to load and the controls and moves were all over the place. I'm glad I got my copy cheeply at a jumble sale a few months ago and didn't pay full price for it! Crap!

The early games were great too. The First Street Fighter was great (I played the demo to death until the budget re-release...I used to change the colour's every time I played it and pretended to be on the next level!) Ghost's N' Goblins was also great, Ghouls N' Ghost's was abit poor compared to the arcade though.
  • edited December 2005
    Ghosts'n'Goblins was by Elite...

[ This Message was edited by: WhenIWasCruel on 2005-12-28 15:56 ]
  • edited December 2005
    On 2005-12-28 15:56, WhenIWasCruel wrote:
    Ghosts'n'Goblins was by Elite...

[ This Message was edited by: WhenIWasCruel on 2005-12-28 15:56 ]

It was still good though!
  • edited December 2005
    I quite liked Outrun as well...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited December 2005
    I quite liked Outrun as well...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited December 2005
    The problem with US Gold conversions was the fact that Tiertex handled a fair few of them which usually meant a total lack of colour and no enhancements for 128k modes.