remaking speecy arcade conversions

edited February 2006 in Games
Has any considered remaking speecdy arcade conversions. I thought double dragon conversion was ok but it could have been better. If u guys get my drift?
Post edited by Countvarg on

Comments

• edited February 2006
    you mean just pc remakes of speccy remakes of arcade games?
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited February 2006
    Sorry - don't konw how to start a new thread! D'oh!

Need to delete my stuff off wiki - got most of it off still a few bits left! Can anyone help? Be forever greatfull!

Fro.
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-25 20:48, frobush wrote:
    Sorry - don't konw how to start a new thread! D'oh!

Need to delete my stuff off wiki - got most of it off still a few bits left! Can anyone help? Be forever greatfull!

Fro.

WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
    is that english?
    looks like gibberish to me, well done son youve outgibberished an expert
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-25 20:38, Countvarg wrote:
    Has any considered remaking speecdy arcade conversions. I thought double dragon conversion was ok but it could have been better. If u guys get my drift?

How strange that you pick Double Dragon, since that very game has been talked about here regarding a remake. In fact it was one of the biggest threads in the history of WOS.

The problem with doing a remake is that you need to be good at programming and be prepared to put a lot of time into making your game, and that rules out just about everyone. Most of the people that are making games want to do something completely knew because it excites them more. But yeah i'd like to see Double Dragon remade.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited February 2006
    http://www.gamestyle.net/DDF.zip

double dragon forever demo there
    its based on 1 and 2, they missed threee out cos they thought it was crap

personally id have missed all 3 out :)
  • edited February 2006
    the thing with the arcade Double Dragon is that its not as good as you remember. A great conversion of it would still be gash.
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-26 01:44, Bluce_Ree wrote:
    the thing with the arcade Double Dragon is that its not as good as you remember. A great conversion of it would still be gash.

plus it needs to played with two players to get the best out of it, and nobody comes round anymore to play on the spectrum
  • edited February 2006

Well that's your opinion, but for me it's still hugely playable. A good conversion of DD would have been a major Speccy release of its time.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
  • edited February 2006
    As most of you will remember, it was me who tried getting a remake of Double Dragon made. Sadly although a few coders started thr project, they all gave up. The graphics and 60% of the music was finished, so if any coders are up for the gig, please let me know.

[ This Message was edited by: Swainy on 2006-02-26 21:00 ]
  • edited February 2006

I for one don't remember it having that much slow down. It slows to a crawl at times!
  • edited February 2006
    there been many manic mimer etc
  • edited February 2006
    The problem with doing exact arcade-conversions is purely that - having to do an exact conversion. I'm currently writing a Mr.Do! style game (see other thread), and if I were trying to do an exact conversion I'm sure it would take 10x as long to complete (writing it is difficult enough anyway - trying to get the A.I. correct is a nightmare!)

I wouldn't recommend anybody to convert arcade games to the speccy unless it really was a labour-of-love. Instead, take the best elements, mix them up a bit, and try to come up with something a little different & new instead.
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-27 04:09, Brido wrote:
    there been many manic mimer etc

Manic Mimer? Is that one of those chaps in Covent Garden going crazy on acid?
  • edited February 2006
    Regarding the Double Dragon thing, I'd like to see a beat em up on the Speccy similar to the Gameboy version of Double Dragon, that mixed fighting with platform style play.
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-27 23:13, Swainy wrote:
    Regarding the Double Dragon thing, I'd like to see a beat em up on the Speccy similar to the Gameboy version of Double Dragon, that mixed fighting with platform style play.

maybe woody can oblige, with his now world famous willy sprite :p
  • edited February 2006
    On 2006-02-27 23:13, Swainy wrote:

I really liked that version of DD - the gameplay was funky, but I wish it didn't force you to go back to the start of the level when you die. A version of that would be really good, coupled with some AY backing.
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah, I think a game inspired by the Gameboy version would work very well. Any coders up for it?