"The ZX Spectrum Book" preview chapter available for download...

edited March 2006 in Games
Okay, so I feeling a bit guilty about being late...

I've put up an UNEDITED(!!!) chapter of the book for download from zxgoldenyears.com

Please bear in mind it's unedited... There will be two further editing passes to root out any typos, etc. so please don't complain about any such errors...
However, if anyone finds any factual errors I'd be interested to hear about it.

The download url is here.

Please do me the favour of posting here if you download it. I'd like to get a rough idea of who's looking at it.

Also, it requires Acrobat Reader 7.0 to view, and is about a 3 meg download.

Have fun.

Andrew
Post edited by andrew_rollings on

Comments

• edited March 2006
    "This document requires a password" (disclaimer: this is with xpdf on Linux)

[ This Message was edited by: Philip Kendall on 2006-03-18 19:30 ]
  • edited March 2006
    Really impressive so far Andrew. I'm looking forward to the whole book and I will be buying it as soon as it's available. :)
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 19:29, Philip Kendall wrote:
    "This document requires a password" (disclaimer: this is with xpdf on Linux)

[ This Message was edited by: Philip Kendall on 2006-03-18 19:30 ]

I trump your disclaimer with my prior disclaimer that it requires a version 7 reader :)
    I don't think xpdf supports all of version 7 features.
    :(

Andrew

[ This Message was edited by: andrew_rollings on 2006-03-18 19:34 ]
  • edited March 2006
    Looks good to me. Judging by the quality of the layout and the presentation I think this is going to be quite something. Of course I have the usual hang-ups about the games that aren't included (where the f**k is Dizzy!?), but I realise that you have limited space and can't include everything to please everyone. So what the hell. Like most people I'm really looking forward to this book and wish you the best of luck with finishing it.

Cheers,

Jamie
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 19:34, jamieangus wrote:
    (where the f**k is Dizzy!?)

Dizzy is covered in a later chapter. Fantasy World Dizzy, to be exact... It's generally considered to be the best in the series, and I wanted to pick a representative game from that series, rather than covering all of them...

Still, I never really got into the dizzy games, personally... :(

Andrew

• edited March 2006
    I am gonna download it right now!
  • edited March 2006
    Correction, my Adobe Acrobat can't handle it!
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 19:57, Ivanzx wrote:
    Correction, my Adobe Acrobat can't handle it!

Is using the version 7 reader an option?
    Hmm... Maybe I misjudged when I assumed most people would have the version 7 reader by now.

Andrew
  • edited March 2006
    ive just downloaded it :)
    well opened it in adobe acrobat and saved it :p

looks nice
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 20:04, mel the bell wrote:
    ive just downloaded it :)
    well opened it in adobe acrobat and saved it :p

looks nice

A nice comment from Mel :) My life is complete... Wait a minute... I must be dreaming!

Andrew

(Only joking... Thanks Mel.)
  • edited March 2006
    Very nice Andrew! For a good 20 minutes I was transported back to the days and nights when life revolved around the Speccy. No worries, no responsibilities, no stress! Just a glass of juice, some biscuits and the entire evening spent playing some smashing games! Happy days!

Btw, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be nice to have the scores SU, Crash and YS gave each game in their respective reviews? Though probably too late for that I suppose.

Brint it on Andrew! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Downloading it whilst hoping I can view it :)
  • edited March 2006
    looks like you need an upto date pdf viewer cos daz said it looked like he'd need to update acrobat.

works fine here straight off tho
    i have adobe acrobat 7

good job you said that was a joke above andrew
    i was just about to drag you off to my gimp celler for punishment
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 20:21, Arjun wrote:
    Very nice Andrew! For a good 20 minutes I was transported back to the days and nights when life revolved around the Speccy. No worries, no responsibilities, no stress! Just a glass of juice, some biscuits and the entire evening spent playing some smashing games! Happy days!

Btw, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be nice to have the scores SU, Crash and YS gave each game in their respective reviews? Though probably too late for that I suppose.

You know, I was actually considering just that yesterday :)

Andrew
  • edited March 2006
    Brint it on? :)
  • edited March 2006
    Very nice :)

• edited March 2006
    Downloaded. Pro stuff.
  • edited March 2006
    Downloaded...
    Nice one, keep up the good work :)
  • jiljil
    edited March 2006
    Andrew: I think there are one or two minor factual errors you may like to investigate.

Bubbler
    I'm not sure if Bubbler was "the second of three post-Stamper games", but rather "the last of four post-Stamper games".
    Gunfright was the last game the Stampers worked on "as a team" (according to their Crash interview) and it was reviewed by the mags in early-1986, about a month or two before news of the US Gold takeover broke.
    Assuming the mags reviewed the following games at the time of release... Cyberun (Crash review, issue 28) was released in Summer 1986, closely followed by Pentagram (Crash review, issue 29) a month or so later. In Summer 1987, Martianoids (Crash review, issue 40) was released, followed by Bubbler (Crash review, issue 41) about a month later.
    Of course, the review dates may not necessarily reflect the exact dates that the games hit the shops, and I can't prove that the Stampers didn't have any input at all into these four games, so I can't confirm the above.

Head Over Heels
    There are nowhere near "700 or so rooms". Perhaps it's a typo and you meant 300? According to this old CSS post by the author, there were 301 rooms. The Crash review said there are "over 300". To confirm the exact number, you may like to check a map like this one and count the rooms one by one. ;)
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-18 20:45, andrew_rollings wrote:
    On 2006-03-18 20:21, Arjun wrote:

You know, I was actually considering just that yesterday :)

Andrew

Hi Andrew -

If you need the Crash scores I have built a database that contains every review from Crash. Not all of the full review text is there (only done up to issue 10 thus far) but the Scores and General Rating comment certainly are for every review. If you email me a list of games (email is on my profile) I can easily dig them out through an SQL query.

I used to have the database on a website, but IIS/DNS started playing up so I left it. I'll see if I can get it up and running again and let you know so you can have a look.

Chris.
  • edited March 2006
    Looking good Andrew. Glad I pre-ordered now - 25 quid very well spent :)
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-19 11:38, jil wrote:
    Andrew: I think there are one or two minor factual errors you may like to investigate.

Bubbler
    I'm not sure if Bubbler was "the second of three post-Stamper games", but rather "the last of four post-Stamper games".
    Gunfright was the last game the Stampers worked on "as a team" (according to their Crash interview) and it was reviewed by the mags in early-1986, about a month or two before news of the US Gold takeover broke.
    Assuming the mags reviewed the following games at the time of release... Cyberun (Crash review, issue 28) was released in Summer 1986, closely followed by Pentagram (Crash review, issue 29) a month or so later. In Summer 1987, Martianoids (Crash review, issue 40) was released, followed by Bubbler (Crash review, issue 41) about a month later.
    Of course, the review dates may not necessarily reflect the exact dates that the games hit the shops, and I can't prove that the Stampers didn't have any input at all into these four games, so I can't confirm the above.

This one was very hard to research... I will check into it - and at the very least include your input as an area of uncertainty...
    Head Over Heels
    There are nowhere near "700 or so rooms". Perhaps it's a typo and you meant 300? According to this old CSS post by the author, there were 301 rooms. The Crash review said there are "over 300". To confirm the exact number, you may like to check a map like this one and count the rooms one by one. ;)

Yeah... probably a typo on my part :) Not an easy one to catch though! Thanks.

Oops.

Andrew
  • edited March 2006
    Quite the best showcase of old speccy games Ive ever seen! Awesomely good stuff. Reserve my copy please bod.
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-19 16:47, Fudgepacker wrote:
    Quite the best showcase of old speccy games Ive ever seen! Awesomely good stuff. Reserve my copy please bod.

You know, you can reserve your own :)

Follow the link below... :)
    (Unless you already have, of course ;) )
  • edited March 2006
    Really enjoyed reading that! Looking forward to seeing some more.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Andrew, the preview chapter looks great.

A question...is the book going to be in "landscape" orientation, like the sample pages are, or are they going to be rearranged into "portrait" before printing?

Cheers,

Daren
  • edited March 2006
    On 2006-03-19 20:33, Daren wrote:
    Hi Andrew, the preview chapter looks great.

A question...is the book going to be in "landscape" orientation, like the sample pages are, or are they going to be rearranged into "portrait" before printing?

Cheers,

Daren

It will be in landscape.
  • edited March 2006
    Like Arjun said for 10 minutes i was totally transported back to the 80's ! Great to read and now i cant wait even more for the final version !!!

Great stuff !
  • edited March 2006
    Great work, looking forward to buying when it is released.
  • edited March 2006
    Have just had a little read - looks excellent! Looking forward to the final product!
    Doug.