Introduce yourself

Comments

• Hi all,
    After many years of just looking and playing the odd fuse emulated game I finally went out and got an in need of care an attention 3b 48k specturm, bringing me back to my childhood.
    Boy, I'd forgotten just how small these things are. Would love to get hold of a +3 at some point but for now....
  • Welcome!
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • 'Welcome to our house. Come freely and leave something of the happiness bring' >:)
  • Hi, it looks like I signed up to this forum in 2008 (I've been using the site for as long as I can remember for games tho...) but I am going through my biennial spectrum phase just now, hoping to master AGD but hoping to really grasp machine code, I have tried many times and failed but my brain seems to be in a good place for learning just now and it's finally making sense to me (all those years of typing in hex-dumps from magazines did absolutely no good for me!! :D) Procrastination, it's great ;)
  • Hi there.

Brand new member here. I thought I´d just pop in and say "thanks for approving membership"...[*thumbs up*].
    Cool website!

Greetings from Sweden
    /jr
  • Dunny wrote: »
    Excellent, I now know more about who Arjun, Mel and Daren are from the comprehensive personal information they posted!

My additional info...

I'm 32, and live in Scunthorpe (in North Lincolnshire, UK) with my partner Janett and my 12 year old son, Eddie.

This is me:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Dunny.jpeg

This is Janett:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Janett.jpeg

And here's Eddie:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Eddie.jpeg

I started with the Speccy when I was... I forget what age, but it was young. I never learnt z80 m/c, as it was just too damned hard. I stuck with BASIC up until the day I got my Amiga where it became painfully obvious that Sinclair BASIC was in fact superior to Amiga BASIC.

From there I learnt Amiga E, and some 68k m/c when I was working for Applied Systems Group - who were quite a major supporter and manufacturer of Amiga products.

After that I started programming PCs in Smartware II for Glanford Council (who still use my Time-Analysis and House Maintenance systems in their office). It's about time they upgraded.

When work dried up, I took a few temporary manual jobs, ending with Portering at the local hospital. One thing led to another, and I am now a third-year student nurse due to qualify in december.

In my spare time, I program in Borland Delphi 5 and the results of my efforts can be seen in the ZXSpin emulator (which was a collaborative project involving myself, Marko, Woody and Damien Guard), and BASin - my attempt at a Delphi-like IDE for Sinclair BASIC. I've also programmed the SCREEN$ screensaver, to much critical acclaim :-)

For these projects, Woody and Marko endeavoured to teach me x86 and z80 assembly, for which I am indebted to them.

My favourite speccy games are the Cybernoids, Sabre Wulf, Where Time Stood Still and Explorer. My favourite PC games are the Thief series and the Thievery Unreal Tournament mod.

I am now using BASin to write my first Speccy game, and having to modify BASin until it's up to the task as I go.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment :)

D.

WOW!
  • Dunny wrote: »
    Excellent, I now know more about who Arjun, Mel and Daren are from the comprehensive personal information they posted!

My additional info...

I'm 32, and live in Scunthorpe (in North Lincolnshire, UK) with my partner Janett and my 12 year old son, Eddie.

This is me:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Dunny.jpeg

This is Janett:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Janett.jpeg

And here's Eddie:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/Eddie.jpeg

I started with the Speccy when I was... I forget what age, but it was young. I never learnt z80 m/c, as it was just too damned hard. I stuck with BASIC up until the day I got my Amiga where it became painfully obvious that Sinclair BASIC was in fact superior to Amiga BASIC.

From there I learnt Amiga E, and some 68k m/c when I was working for Applied Systems Group - who were quite a major supporter and manufacturer of Amiga products.

After that I started programming PCs in Smartware II for Glanford Council (who still use my Time-Analysis and House Maintenance systems in their office). It's about time they upgraded.

When work dried up, I took a few temporary manual jobs, ending with Portering at the local hospital. One thing led to another, and I am now a third-year student nurse due to qualify in december.

In my spare time, I program in Borland Delphi 5 and the results of my efforts can be seen in the ZXSpin emulator (which was a collaborative project involving myself, Marko, Woody and Damien Guard), and BASin - my attempt at a Delphi-like IDE for Sinclair BASIC. I've also programmed the SCREEN$ screensaver, to much critical acclaim :-)

For these projects, Woody and Marko endeavoured to teach me x86 and z80 assembly, for which I am indebted to them.

My favourite speccy games are the Cybernoids, Sabre Wulf, Where Time Stood Still and Explorer. My favourite PC games are the Thief series and the Thievery Unreal Tournament mod.

I am now using BASin to write my first Speccy game, and having to modify BASin until it's up to the task as I go.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment :)

D.

WOW!
  • edited April 2017
    Hey Guys

One day my dad bought home a ZX80 home from work. I must have been 10ish I suppose. I had a bit of fun with it for a month or so before he too it back! Years later when I had just turned 13 I got a spectrum for Christmas. I did quite a bit of programming but no assembly. It was beyond me. Later on in my teens I got an Amiga 500 which seemed like it came from a different planet! I have played around with the Z80 a bit through the years but always wanted to make a proper Speccy game in Machine Code so here I am. The ZX Spectrum Next has re-ignited my interest in playing again. My goal is to learn assembly and eventually take advantage of the new ULA colour modes.

I had an early career in electronics repairing computer monitors. That shifted into IT. The company I worked for actually made an interface that used a Z80. With a little help I made a small disco lights controller but there wasn't much coding involved with it. My career finished in 2001 due to ill health.

I have done a bit of coding through my life. Most recently I have been playing with Unity and got to the stage of a working game on my Android phone. I have now switched to the Speccy and trying to learn Basic & Assembler again so all help is welcome!
    Post edited by Balrockus on
  • You will hate it here, we all do, but they won't allow us to leave, they only talk about silly things, and they hate my beloved Commodore 64.

;)

Still, welcome to WOS >:D<
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • edited April 2017
    OI! Grey key, get back into your box. You've been told about talking to the new arrivals. And take the brown bread bin with you.

Welcome Balrockus
    Post edited by Luny on
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Ello had a spec 48 back in them good ole days.....

now my grandon has found one of my old books by Tim Hartnell

so Its back to the past/future/thingy/whatever

I'm stuck with emulators for now, just to brush up on my basic and assembler... but he will get a speccy soon...I hope....

DAMN...these glass transistors get hot!!!!!
    (and if you understand that you are old....ancient in fact)
  • Mornin' all,

Had my first Speccy in '89, wasn't interested in the games I was more mesmerised by the fact screeching noises converted into images, colours & information on screen - presumably by witchcraft & sorcery. A few days later I was learning to change borders, ink & paper colours, play sounds, move objects and so on.

In short, I moved from the non-computer world to the computer world in awe.

Anyway, I've not been an active part of the 8bit online world until recently. I've began collecting many old 8bits and now set up my own forum recently.

Hope to have some good chats :)
  • Welcome..! What forum is it?
  • Commodore Land !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • Hi.

Another newbie here. Lately, I've been getting nostalgic for the long lost computers of my youth (probably just going through a very geeky midlife crisis!) and so I've discovered the wonderful; world of WoS and emulators. Maybe now I'll finally manage to write my great Quilled adventure that I never managed the first time round. (I can still remember what most of the puzzles would've been!)

Mind you, you all seem to know so much about the technical side of the Spectrum. It's a bit intimidating. I've forgotten most of what I knew, and that was never much to start with. Never mind, it'll probably all come back with time.
  • Yeah, you should do it..! There have been a few new text adventures but I haven't seen many appearing recently.
  • Hi.

Another newbie here. Lately, I've been getting nostalgic for the long lost computers of my youth (probably just going through a very geeky midlife crisis!) and so I've discovered the wonderful; world of WoS and emulators. Maybe now I'll finally manage to write my great Quilled adventure that I never managed the first time round. (I can still remember what most of the puzzles would've been!)

Mind you, you all seem to know so much about the technical side of the Spectrum. It's a bit intimidating. I've forgotten most of what I knew, and that was never much to start with. Never mind, it'll probably all come back with time.
    dont worry, were not all technical here ;) some of us are apes

Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • Some of us are Apps
  • I thought you were a mouse
  • edited May 2017
    Hi all.

I'm 44 and a croissants + frog eater.
    My story with the Sinclair marvels started when I was 8 or 9, thanks to my father buying a ZX81 (kit).
    I then got a ZX Spectrum, with unreliable microdrive and then Beta Disk interface.
    I tried to understand Z80 programming but ahem I was both too young and too stupid to understand it.
    So the Speccy ended up as a gaming machine (although I must admit I would have loved a C64 instead).
    I insisted not to have a QL when it was available : I didn't like the specs.
    I then had various systems : Amiga for gaming, megadrive, snes (I did a bit of business selling some super wild card systems) and then I became an Acorn nut thanks to the Acorn Archimedes.
    I believe without this machine I would have never learnt assembly language.
    That's about all about me.
    In life I used to be a real estate developer (to make a long story short) and at the moment I don't do much in this field for various reasons, although I should restart that soon.

I've got a YT channel about demos, a few games, and the bit of ARM codes I've been working on for a few years.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes75009

My collection of Sinclair bits includes various Spectrums of all kinds, many 'clones' from the East, a Sinclair C5 (+ many parts) I bought in the U.K. and brought back to France in my BMW X5, and recently I've acquired a Sinclair T.V.
    Various QLs with accelerator boards, extra memory etc ... although I haven't tried them yet.
    As far as the 32 bit Acorns are concerned, I believe I own 97% of everything that has ever been available (hardware and software).
    I'm a bit (to say the least) addict to compulsive buys on Ebay, with the excuse I'll run a private museum when I retire. (And it can be a long-term investment, although I agree I should have bought some bitcoins instead ;-) ).

I own various other systems : Acorn 8 bits, Amstrad, Tatungs etc ... in fact everything, almost every brands and models, except Apples ...(in fact no : I own some IIGSes).
    I've got 2 houses totalising about 350 m2 of various stuff ...which can be a nightmare to live with.

Kind regards,
    Xavier.
    Post edited by Zarchos on
  • edited May 2017
    Welcome aboard, Xavier!
    Zarchos wrote: »

A frog eater? I think you should join this thread, we'll get fun! :D

Regards from a huge Spectrum fan and a snail eater.
    Post edited by JuanF. Ramirez on
  • edited May 2017
    Welcome aboard, Xavier!
    Zarchos wrote: »

A frog eater? I think you should join this thread, we'll get fun! :D

Regards from a huge Spectrum fan and a snail eater.

I too. Burgundy snails : the best !
    With a bit of garlic + parsley and of course some butter.
    Post edited by Zarchos on
  • edited May 2017
    Are we allowed to make fun of the French ?

We do it about ourselves, but we won't be able to do it about anything soon, R.I.P. comedians all over the world.

Just realised, you are French too...................
    Post edited by grey key on
  • Welcome Zarchos..!

Sounds like a great collection of stuff - does the C5 work (even if just pedal power)?
  • Forget the C5, what about the poor frogs
  • Hi There.
    I am Argy101, and have been since march 2017. I am in my 40s and has worked in many Industries that involve Computers.I live in a remote part of the world, and i am known by many other names. I am here to enjoy WoS and its community of fine people, who share the same common interest as i do. I am new to this Forum, but have been a "Lurker/Member" under a different name for many a year.

My other interests include Fly Fishing and Law. I have 3 children and i am a very happy and respectful person.Keep the Faith
  • Argy101 wrote: »
    Hi There.
    I am Argy101, and have been since march 2017. I am in my 40s and has worked in many Industries that involve Computers.I live in a remote part of the world, and i am known by many other names. I am here to enjoy WoS and its community of fine people, who share the same common interest as i do. I am new to this Forum, but have been a "Lurker/Member" under a different name for many a year.

My other interests include Fly Fishing and Law. I have 3 children and i am a very happy and respectful person.Keep the Faith

Beanz is that you ?

Well welcome anyway !
  • Hi I'm Phil South, and I am an alcoholic. Oh wait that's the other meeting.

Well I wrote some reviews, played some games, went to lunch a lot and spent an inordinate amount of time on a coach going back and forth between Hemel Hempstead and Marble Arch every day for 2-3 years. Marcus Berkmann and I spent at least two straight years rolling around on the floor laughing at each others jokes and being paid hansomely for it.

I co-wrote an adventure game called FISH! or rather I should say I tried to write an adventure game called FISH! in a way that wouldn't work as an adventure game before anyone could stop me . . . and then John Molloy, Pete Kemp and Rob Steggles fixed it so it worked and had the good grace to leave in some of my better jokes.

Then I went freelance and wrote about other computers from a cottage in the middle of frickin nowhere for a longish while.

Somewhere in the middle aliens stole my brain and used it as an ashtray on their spaceship for a while, mounted on a pedastal made from a human thigh bone. In circumstances which remain a mystery I ended up back in my body and felt oddly compelled to teach myself how to make web pages.

Then when I got too old to write about computers and I had two hungry kids to feed I worked for Disney Channel and Microsoft Developer Network Journal. Then I worked at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School wrangling their computers and teaching people how to make movies.

The kids grew up and became game bloggers. Now I am mostly a pro blogger, part time voice actor and I make a lot of videos about tech. I've written a lot of fiction and even published some of it. I am just about to make some Interactive Fiction for the first time in 30 years.

There that's about it. The stuff which happened before that, being in theatre and bands and stuff is not really part of the ZX life. :D

This has been what's left of "Snouty". Face front, stand by your beds.
    Thanked by 2F_Clowder Vampyre