Introduce yourself

Comments

• Hi! A late introduction (seeing as i joined here in 2007!!!)
    I'm markopoloman - lover of all things C64 - but before you throw bricks at me, love a bash on the Speccy :)
    I'm joining many forums due to being banned from the Retro Gamer forum for, well, breaking the AUP before they changed the AUP!
    There will be a few here that know me anyway - I'm a nice guy that doesn't do bad things on forums... much.

Still, my best mate had a speccy so spent many a weekend playing Manic Miner and the Ultimate games :)
    long time no see fella, ive not been on the RG forum for a long time tbh
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
    I'm markopoloman - lover of all things C64 - but before you throw bricks at me, love a bash on the Speccy :)
    I'm joining many forums due to being banned from the Retro Gamer forum for, well, breaking the AUP before they changed the AUP!
    There will be a few here that know me anyway - I'm a nice guy that doesn't do bad things on forums... much.

Still, my best mate had a speccy so spent many a weekend playing Manic Miner and the Ultimate games :)

Mel The Bell!!! Wow, nice to see you still active in retroland! Rg forum is not the thriving hive of activity it once was... but Retrocanteen is! http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Mel The Bell!!! Wow, nice to see you still active in retroland! Rg forum is not the thriving hive of activity it once was... but Retrocanteen is! http://retrocanteen.boards.net/
    cheers saved the link for later
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited July 2017
    Hello! signed up here, because I'm thinking of trying some spectrum development!
    I've developed my 'Chibi Akumas' game for the Amstrad CPC, and I'm wondering if I can port it to the Spectrum! I'll be aiming for the 128k systems, and disk only - as the game is multiload

I'm collecting techical resources and the like at the moment to work out what it will take to do this, so I'll be lurking around here soaking up the info!

if anyone wants to offer some advise, info or development help, please contact me!
    Post edited by keith56 on
    Bullet Hell Comedy-Horror Shooter for the Amstrad CPC: www.chibiakumas.com
  • @keith56 Welcome to WoS! Just checked your site and I am very certain that you will get tons of assistance and be cheered on, so I suggest you make a thread on this project in the Development subsection of the forum :-bd
    What now?
  • Awesome stuff.. Yeah, go on, port it..! Looks good.
  • Mornin'
    I got my first Speccy back in '86 (which has been proven by boffins in white coats to officially be 'the day' in 'back in the day').

I've been lurking (is that the word?) Around WOS for about 15 years but it's taken me this long to decide to say anything.

I'm also rubbish at choosing names for forums and thought Scroll? would be good for WOS before realising I couldn't put a question mark on the end.
  • Welcome abroad!

[geek]
    And remember, Space or N breaks the scroll! :)
    [/geek]
  • Scrolling in shops normally means rude words?
  • Scrolling in shops normally means rude words?

Eh?
    :-?
  • Scroll wrote: »
    Scrolling in shops normally means rude words?

Eh?
    :-?

Of course! The classic 'PRINT "rude words" GOTO' routine on the demonstration Speccy in Rumbelows/Dixons/Currys!

• 10 print "boozefreak is a fanny"
    20 print
    30 goto 10
  • Hi Guys,

Recently got an amazing deal (I mean the kind of deal that still makes me feel a little guilty) on a ZX Spectrum 128K +2a, and about 65 games. Hoping to learn more about the machine, and what mods I can do to it. I want to do the following:-
    1) Scart cable
    2) Stereo out
    3) I have got a 1bis interface with the Ethernet add-on - can't get it working
    4) Upgrade the rom to +3e (I read that this improves game compatibility)
    5) Install a harddrive inside the computer
    6) Try a different OS on it
    7) Learn how to use AGD (saw it on the spectrum show by Paul Jenkins)

Anyway, looking forward to speaking to you all.
  • Hi Everyone

I'm from South-Africa and was a PC gamer all my life, I never even knew that the ZX Spectrum existed. Then last December while on holiday I went to an antiques store and noticed this small black computer named a ZX Spectrum. I was immediately fascinated and googled it right there in the store. I then purchased it but unfortunately it was not working so I returned it as it was pretty expensive as well.

The next few months I hunted for a decent one until I found one on a local auction site which I bid on and won. It was a 48k in spotless working condition with the ZX interface, microdrive, software, games and manuals. From there I was hooked, I did the AV mod, created an audio cable for it and started playing around. It got me so hooked that I even started collecting other old game consoles which is quite a challenge in ZA as not a lot of them were officially released over here.

I got my brother-in-law (my sister married my best friend) also interested and managed to find one at an insanely low price but unfortunately it is in a rough condition. I want to work on and restore it for him so we can have some fun together.

I hope to add a C64 and some Atari systems to my collection but for now I'm happy with the little Speccy and the instance amount of games available for it.

I'm from a PC background so I've got a lot to catch up and learn but I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers
  • Welcome GunJitsu :) It's good to have someone from SA on here. I don't recall other posters from there on here (more seasoned members may correct me). Great that someone who wasn't aware of our humble machine getting involved.

Hope you enjoy the forum!
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Hi everyone! Thanks for accepting me into this forum!
    I am a passionate retrocomputing fan.
    I am also developing a cross-system 8-bit game for most 8-bit computers including of course the ZX Spectrum.
    The new of the game is CROSS CHASE and you can find more information at
    https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/ASCII-CHASE/releases
  • Welcome...!

Always find it impressive that people can write stuff over multiple platforms, I have enough trouble with one..!
  • edited August 2017
    Hi! I'm currently 24 years, way to young to had a zx-spectrum while growing up, but from a few years ago I grew interested in zx-spectrum micro computers and now I want to start gaming games for it and I tough that joining this community would be the best way to know more and learn from those with more experience.
    Post edited by bottled_antonio on
    I'm not full of bugs, I'm rich in features. I'm the most boring thing on this world.
  • Welcome young fella. Yep, there are thousands of games in the archive, get playing!

• Morkin wrote: »
    Welcome young fella. Yep, there are thousands of games in the archive, get playing!
    Speaking of which, I wonder how poor old Dasse is faring on his crazy quest?
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me :)
    I'm currently going through a retro revival period, going back to my fondest platforms and games - and the Spectrum was my first one. This seems like the best place to find like-minded fans :)

Also, this might be a weird place to ask but, in these forums, what would be the best place to ask a question about the Spectrum Games Bible? Since the site is down and the author's email isn't working, and I wanted to check something on the books...
  • DR80 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me :)
    I'm currently going through a retro revival period, going back to my fondest platforms and games - and the Spectrum was my first one. This seems like the best place to find like-minded fans :)

Also, this might be a weird place to ask but, in these forums, what would be the best place to ask a question about the Spectrum Games Bible? Since the site is down and the author's email isn't working, and I wanted to check something on the books...
    Owdo, welcome, as for your question i suppose the Games or Misc sections would be best?
  • Hello everyone. I've been floating around for a few weeks, having rediscovered my enthusiasm for all things Spectrum.

About 15 years ago, I had a site called the ZX Golden Years, dedicated to the years 1982-1986, and I was a regular contributor to the comp.sys.sinclair newsgroup.

That all fell by the wayside, but I'm in the process of redesigning and rewriting my old site, and hope to have it up and running in the next few weeks. Watch this space!
  • Welcome Tayles. Welcome to WOS. I look forward to the new site. Share it when you are done.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Welcome to WOS to you too. I can't remember seeing the site but I'm glad you are back at the Spectrum community.
  • edited October 2017
    Hello!

I'm new to WOS, and pretty new to the Spectrum, too. I grew up during the classic arcade and console era, but in Canada, so the only memories of Sinclair I have are of the Timex Sinclair a friend had. So instead of ZX Spectrum games, I grew up on Intellivision, then NES, and around the time of the SNES I lost interest in consoles for a while. I'd already got into emulators for the NES and others when I came across YouTube channels like LGR, Nostalgia Nerd, Kim Justice, and others, which piqued my curiosity about the Spectrum. Despite its hardware limitations, something about the games clicked with me, and I became a fan.

First it was classic games from back in the day (the first game I completed without save states was Fantasy World Dizzy), then I discovered modern homebrew games and was amazed by the quality and enthusiasm of the community (there are so many good games, right now my favourite is probably Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer). Seeing AGD in a video about modern Spectrum games led me to Paul Jenkinson's incredible tutorials (seriously, I wouldn't be making games without them), and a desire to try coding myself. And today I just posted my first game in the Brand New Software section!

So hi, I look forward to getting to know the community better, and I hope to make better and better games to share with you all. :)

Cheers, A.

p.s. I've never touched an actual ZX Spectrum of any kind! Perhaps one of these days I'll find a 48k, 128, or 2+ that needs a loving home.
    Post edited by AleishaBeesher on
  • p.s. I've never touched an actual ZX Spectrum of any kind!

4F09OU.jpg

...Just kidding, welcome to WoS.. :D
  • Morkin wrote: »
    ...Just kidding, welcome to WoS.. :D

Haha, thank you! :)
  • 10 print "boozefreak is a fanny"
    20 print
    30 goto 10

Cheeky sod! I just saw that!
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Ello, thanks for letting me join.

Speccy owner since 1984, first game I ever played was chequered flag! Scuba Dive is probably the most played.

Have moved about 10 times since then and taken my treasures around with me. Though am sure Ive lost loads to, probably a familiar story here! Have gotten the bug again, on the hunt for +3 disks especially, wish me luck haha!

Hope to see you all on the boards :)