Introduce yourself

Comments

• Welcome to WoS..!

Nice to see you've still got your goodies from the 80s..

Scuba Dive is a decent step up from Chequered Flag... :))
  • Welcome Aleisha and Acid
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited October 2017
    Hi everyone.
    I'm based on the North Yorkshire coast, I'm a life-long Sinclair fan. I've been looking to satisfy that Spectrum itch, I looked at the V*** (machine we can't mention?) and it didn't do it for me, the 'recreated' Speccy arrived from and was promptly returned to Amazon this week. :-/

As someone starting afresh after 30 or so years, I'm reading stuff all over the place, I find various things are no longer active, it's hard to tell what the current state of the Spectrum is today (Oct/Nov 2017). My -aim- is to buy a Spectrum Next, sometime next year after it's released and in production (I hope it's the real deal!). I have £50/60 set aside for something like a ZX Uno to tide me over, is that a viable choice?

If anyone has advice and can point me in the right direction to get started, I'd be greatful! Cheers!
    Post edited by efjay on
  • Welcome efjay...!

Y'know, you can always just buy a Speccy from ebay... ;;)
  • Morkin wrote: »
    Welcome efjay...!

Y'know, you can always just buy a Speccy from ebay... ;;)
    Hi, thanks. I don't really want an original machine for day-to-day use. I'm hoping for something based on newer hardware will have various add-ons included like ESXDOS(?), I've got a CD-ROM I bought about 20 years ago full of Speccy programs that would run well off an SD card.
  • @efjay Welcome to WoS!

I'd suggest starting your own thread asking for advice as many will not view this particular section of the forum.
    efjay wrote: »
    My -aim- is to buy a Spectrum Next, sometime next year after it's released and in production (I hope it's the real deal!). I have £50/60 set aside for something like a ZX Uno to tide me over, is that a viable choice?

If anyone has advice and can point me in the right direction to get started, I'd be greatful! Cheers!

What now?
  • Hi WoS!

I've been a long-time lurker on the site, and thought it was time to delve into the forum.

I'm just in the process of refurbishing my Speccy, which I've owned since Christmas 1982!
    It's been repaired a number of times over the last 35 years, but it's been neglected for a couple of decades up in the loft (the keyboard membrane has completely turned to dust!)... I'll be replacing all capacitors, doing the composite output mod, as well as replacing the membrane, keyboard and fascia.
    Somewhere down the line I'll likely invest in a DivMMC Future too.

I've got a large collection of gaming hardware (mainly consoles - from all generations except the current one) and an even larger collection of software for all of it! However, the ever increasing prices of the games for older consoles has recently inspired me to give more love to my Amiga and Spectrum.

I prefer the 82-86 era of Spectrum releases, but will admit to some of my favourite games for the micro being from the 87-91 period. I'm not averse to emulation, but if I own the original hardware I'll always prefer to use it over emulation... and as a child of the 70's/80's, I'm certainly not averse to piracy! ;)

Hope to get to know some of you better - as well as getting to know the Speccy better!
  • @Duwen48k
    Welcome to WoS! Do try to revive your original rubber-key Speccy, and share the results with us.
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • @Duwen48k
    Welcome to WoS! Do try to revive your original rubber-key Speccy, and share the results with us.

Thanks!
    I will definitely share the results... I stripped it down over the weekend - and while the exterior is grubby, to say the least, the internals look spotless! So, while I was intending to do a full recap I may just see how it performs without (save for possibly adding a capacitor for the composite output mod).
    I'm documenting it all with photographs that I'll share, but until I get my package from RetroRadionics I'm currently at a standstill.

BTW - removing perished keyboard membrane fragments from the connectors on the board was no fun!
  • Welcome.

Nice avatar..! I don't think I've seen anyone use a Maziacs avatar until now.. :)
  • Yep, very original. And a great game.

Welcome!
  • Thanks!
    Maziacs was the first 48k game I ever bought for my speccy (and it's still a fun game now), so it seemed fitting to use it as my avatar.
  • Duwen, welcome to WOS. I too prefer my old hardware to emulation. I'm even so nutty that I prefer cassette tape to the modern flash card based interfaces. For me it has to be a totally authentic experience, well except for the 55" wide screen TV its connected to :D.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Reply to efjay

Well there is a thread on the ZX-Uno and what can be done with it. Here is the link to it:-

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/52728/zx-uno-modding#latest
  • edited February 2018
    Romanian, male, with wife, no kids .. I am the kid, 6 Speccys. Hard Enduro racer - KTM 250 .
    DC admin : vmware, Cisco networking, UCS, ASA, ASR, ISR, et c., storage NetApp, daily hated Wx from M$.
    First comp was a clone, Cobra dual boot running CP/M or 48k ROM.
    Developed in asm ( 1991 ) custom filesystems and routines using regular PC floppy on Cobra floppy interface. Use commands Load * " " , Cat, Format with no parameters.
    Unfinished, using only one side of the diskette because no space on ROM for the aditional code. Spend 1 month trying shortest instructions for byte send receive loop ( max 31 us/byte, no DMA ). All routines fill the empty space on regular 48K ROM ( ~1.3K I remember ) even empty space between syscalls at the very beginning of ROM and reusing RET and the end of Spectrum routines. I see technique reusing OS routines or fraction on latest viruses/worms. I had it in 91.
    Unknown to the world. I will search for sourcecode.
    Some '90 asm projects : fiber optic pyrometer, dynamic light ( text display ), thikness measurement device, mining conveyor automation, and some forgotten due to alzheimer or daily fried brain :-)

Here for sharing my last project: Speccy 128 clone with maximum 25 regular 74HC series cips including CPU, RAM, ROM.
    No read contention on video ( shaddow video ), perfect compatibility timings and 20Mhz turbo mode.
    Post edited by blue_led on
  • @blue_led Welcome to WoS! Sounds like you'll fit right in! :-D
    What now?
  • edited February 2018
    Hi, my name is Swibbz. I'm new here. I'm living all the way in Canada now, but I'm originally from Glasgow, Scotland
    Post edited by Swibbz on
  • Hello everyone!

My name's Rob and I'm a spanish computer game programmer.

I also collect and preserve retro hardware and software. I'm most active with Amstrad CPC/PCW and Dragon computers, but I like them all.

Some friends of mine let me borrow some Spectrum software I think is missing, so I decided to join you and help the archive grow.

Cheers,
    Rob
  • Hi guys.

Been a long time reader of WoS. Had my first spectrum around 1987 and been a fan since then. I still play modern games, but spectrum are the ones that i really like :)

Have a few spectrums around and it's time to start taking care of them, so I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the Hw section.

Cheers,
    António
  • Hmm, ok lets do a little presentation.

I am a nice guy from sweden, I live in a house (with two garages) with my girlfriend and two kids (now 3 and 5 years old) I love technical stuff in general but computers have a special place in my heart, especially the Amiga and the spectravideo 3x8. ..But I also had a spectrum, and C64/128.

On the spectrum I mainly played atic atac, pssst, starquake and the sabreman series.

I also love old workstations, I have several SGI-machines, HP-PA RISC, DEC Alpha, and a LOT of Sun machines (about 20, thats because I used to work with those).

I also love motorcycles (Suzuki GSX1100e and GS500e right now), and cars, I drive a SAAB 9-5 Aero to work, my girl drive another 9-5 daily, and I also have several hobby cars, Toyota Celica GT-four (ST205), Celica GT (ST202) and a Pontiac Fiero.

And I am into electronics, I can do soldering (holemounted and SMD) and have most common instruments, and a pretty big stash of components..

And work.. In school I became a boat technican, I never worked as that, but I have been working with cars (mainly electronics), copiers, faxes, printers, and then I worked 15 years as a UNIX sysadmin (Mostly Solaris and Linux), but now I work as a service engineer in aviation, more exact I work with ATC systems.

Well, That was a short version of me.
  • edited March 2018
    @Repulsiv Please, tell me you're doing something awesomely cool with those!
    Repulsiv wrote: »
    I also love old workstations, I have several SGI-machines, HP-PA RISC, DEC Alpha, and a LOT of Sun machines (about 20, thats because I used to work with those).

Oh, and welcome to WoS! :-)
    Post edited by F_Clowder on
    What now?
  • Well. I thought it was about time I made myself known.

I've been lurking around WOS for more years than I care to remember. I started out with a ZX81 in 1983. I bought my first ZX Spectrum in 1984. I've been through a few Spectrums over the years, but I still use them on a regular basis. Current Stable is:

ZX81
    A pair of rubber keyed 48K Spectrums.
    A 128K +2B
    A 128K +3e.
  • Welcome folks
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited May 2018
    Yes welcome, you will hate it here, but with a name like yours, it will cheer many a dull day !

Why do the new people pick all the good names ?

From now on I want to be known as Chompywombits....................
    Post edited by grey key on
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • edited May 2018
    grey key wrote: »

From now on I want to be known as Chompywombits....................
    Boozy will constantly throw things at you cos it sounds like one of his favourite bands

Chomponwombattits
    Post edited by mel the bell on
  • Yes but they will fall before they hit me, anyway, If I get knocked down, I will get up again :))
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • Then pair of you can sod off!
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • No they're never gonna keep me down !
  • Cos we built this city......Oh no wait wrong band
  • Hi I am new to this Spectrum thing, so I want a brand new Spectrum toastrack preferably sealed in a perfect condition box, if possible with a 100 or so games in equally perfect order. I can't afford to pay though, so if you have these things, please send them to me asap, you will also have to pay postage as I only get one pound pocket money a month. If you drive, you can deliver them to me, I live in Antarctica.