Introduce yourself

Comments

• They say you have one opportunity to create a first impression, so here goes! :D

Housey is my forum name, Steve is my real one and I frequent quite a few forums, though mostly petrolhead related be they public or private, but more about that 'stuff' when I have built credibility here!

I do have a rather large (too large according to my wife!) collection of vintage home computers, most of which are mint and boxed with all their 'bits'. I started about 15 years ago and today have around 40-50 computers, consoles and hand held devices, together with some of the newer stuff like the Analogue nt and of course a Framemeister to ensure crystal visuals on modern TV's.

No collection like this would be worthy without some good Sinclair representation and mine is no different with 3 x Spectrums of various flavours, a ZX81 (and yes...I have a 16K RAM pack!) and a QL too. I am 51, my first home computer (no boos please) was an Atari 400 (£299), Atari BASIC Cartridge (£100!!) and Atari Tape recorder (£100) which I remember like it was only yesterday, when it was in fact 1980! I then added Vic20, Spectrum, C64 and Amiga's before I finally went the PC route.

I live in the Staffordshire countryside (there is some, honest) and am married with no kids, so all my toys are mine...ALL MINE I TELL YOU!!!! >:)

So that's me. Anyone who frequents OCUK (Motors/Retro/GD) will hopefully recognise me as some of the old Pistonheads members if any are here.

That's me, looking forward to contributing and will add pictures of my kit when I work out....how to add pictures of my kit :)
  • Welcome aboard Housey. Do share those pic's of your collection. You can't upload pic's to wos directly, but you can add direct links from a photo hosting site like tinypic.com.
  • Done, though posted in the wrong section it seems. I have only posted the Sinclair machines however.
  • I don't think WOS allows you to post pictures of your KIT :))
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • I don't think WOS allows you to post pictures of your KIT :))
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • Grey key, I think you are near a white hole!
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • edited November 2018
    I don't think WOS allows you to post pictures of your KIT :))

I am an A-hole :D
    Post edited by grey key on
  • Knight-Rider-reboot.jpg

Once again Grey you are incorrect! :p
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • You are correct sir !
  • Yeah GK! Pack up your troubles in your old KIT bag!
  • I think I will have a break and have a Kit-Kat...…………...
  • 2 fingers or 4?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited November 2018
    I have 10 ( well 8 and two thumbs )
    Post edited by grey key on
  • Greetings from a new guy here, Vervilix.

Recently developed a love for vintage electronics, and purchased a ZX Spectrum via Ebay. Its in rather decent condition, and after buying some extra components, (I live in the States, so had to get a voltage transformer, etc.) I was able to fire it up and it runs well. Only issue is the 1-5 number keys don't work, unfortunately. There was some small corrosion on the ends of the membrane contacts, so I'm hoping that cleaning those up may solve the problem. (I have heard that the keyboard membranes do fail, but I am hoping that mine is fixable since its only those five keys that have stopped functioning.)

Other than that, I am very happy to have the Spectrum. I was worried when I heard about all the modifications needed to make it work in the US, but it wasn't too much trouble. Getting a voltage transformer wasn't too inconvenient, and for the input issues, I just used an adapter to change the connection from UHF Aerial to F-Type. I found out that modern Vizio LCD televisions accept PAL signal, and I just happened to already own one, so everything went swimmingly after that.

Just hoping I can get those five keys working again, and everything should be sorted.

Either way, much thanks for granting me access. I am ready and willing to learn from those far more experienced with the Spectrum than I.
  • Replacement membranes are available at a very low price, if you can't fix the problem.

Welcome, you will hate it here ;)
  • Welcome. you'll especially hate grey key, cos he's a mouse.
    Where as everyone else here are speccy twonks, who love an argument and will always contradict you. But they are a lovable bunch who will support anything you do with speccys.

I'm glad you got your speccy up an running (as GK says there are membranes online), what are you planning with it? Do you play, write code or both?
  • I'm insane in the membrane me...…………..
  • Luny wrote: »
    Welcome. you'll especially hate grey key, cos he's a mouse.
    Where as everyone else here are speccy twonks, who love an argument and will always contradict you. But they are a lovable bunch who will support anything you do with speccys.

I'm glad you got your speccy up an running (as GK says there are membranes online), what are you planning with it? Do you play, write code or both?

Well, as of right now, I'm a complete novice. I grew up in the decade after the Spectrum, but I've always had an interest in history. I was learning about the 8-bit micro-computers from the 80's through some retro-gaming videos on Youtube. I got very interested in them, and really wanted to get one. I know I could have used an emulator if I wanted to play some of those old games, but it just didn't seem right to me, I wanted the full experience.

One of my favorite games in the current era is Elite Dangerous, and I hadn't known that it had predecessors until watching those videos. The first one I saw showcased footage of the original Elite running on a Spectrum, which immediately gave the Spectrum points over the other options. I also really liked the design of the Speccy, how small it was compared to the others, and the curious looking keyboard. Ultimately my interest boiled over and I acquired one off Ebay.

So ultimately, I suppose I really want to play some old games on it, especially Elite. (That may prove to be a much harder challenge than getting the Speccy, I haven't seen a single copy of Elite on Ebay.)

Now while I don't have any skill points in programming, other than the 20-goto-10 joke, I am very interested in learning BASIC during the hours I spend on my hobbies. Progamming code and how it translates to graphic scenes and characters has always mystified me, and I'd like to know how it works.

The Speccy is also just my first vintage computer. I'm hoping to collect a few others as well.

Also, thanks to Grey Key, I did some digging online for a new membrane after I saw your message and found them. I went ahead and purchased one so I can be sure I'll be able to get all the keys functioning again. Many thanks.

• I did some digging in the garden and found one, or was it a worm, I forget now, either way welcome to the Jungle !
  • Just don't mention what is under the patio!
  • That reminds me, I still have an Avon book around here somewhere :D
  • Hey all =) I can't believe so many old faces are still here! So cool to see. I hope you're all ok. What ever became of Lister? That weird ugly guy hahaha
  • Wow, you haven't been here in years, welcome back.
  • Ooh, a HH fan I presume. (Great name and avatar. I got all the books). Nice to see ya!
  • Hello there! My name is Rafa, ufoman2k on Internet, and I have a ZX Spectrum enthusiast since I had my beloved ZX Spectrum +2A back in 1990. I have had many Sinclair machines these year, such as +2As, 48Ks or +3. Sadly, they had go due to circumstances (moves, unemployment, etc.).

Nowadays, having a steady job and my own place, I'm trying to get a couple them back, specially a grey +2 and a +3. We'll see what the future brings, but now I'm happy to share my hobby with this wonderful community, from which I hope to keep learning about our amazing Speccys.

Regards!
  • Welcome Rafa ... I've seen your Instagram, you also have a lot of cool retro stuff (japanese games for DC/Saturn/PCE etc.)! Hope to see your Ryu in SFV in Evo 2020! ;)
  • Does anybody play any SF games beyond SF Alpha 3 these days? :))
  • Well, unlike SF2 in the early 90s, the SF games certainly are not mainstream gaming anymore here in Europe ... personally I like watching pro players on YouTube.

We should find a way to play online via some emulators for nice versus matches (or Dramatic Survival 2 players vs the CPU), mate ...
  • XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Welcome Rafa ...

Thanks for the warm welcome! :) Well, although I like playing SFV very much, I'm one of these @dm_boozefreek talks about. I stopped playing 1vs1 seriously back when "Capcom vs SNK 2" was released :D
  • edited May 2019
    XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Well, unlike SF2 in the early 90s, the SF games certainly are not mainstream gaming anymore here in Europe ... personally I like watching pro players on YouTube.

We should find a way to play online via some emulators for nice versus matches (or Dramatic Survival 2 players vs the CPU), mate ...

I know Mednafen supports online play, and pretty much perfect Saturn emulation, it's a pretty bare bones front ended emulator, takes some digging around, trial and error, and research to get it up and running though. I've got it set up to play Saturn games only, and I can't for the life of me remember how I did that now? :O
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on