A Spectrum, a couple of felt tip pens and a lot of free time on Sunday afternoons...

edited July 2002 in Games
In my opinion the best part of having a Spectrum was drawing a game map of the latest Ultimate game in the back page of my geography text book thereby failing most of the exams I ever took at school.

Surely this is a lost art now? I blame those stupid walk through guides you can now buy at the same time, sometimes before, the actual game.

Grumble, grumble.
Post edited by AndyHerbert on

Comments

• edited July 2002
    Too right...
    Atleast you were using the geography lesson correctly by drawing maps....
  • edited July 2002
    Actually, thinking about it, they'd probrably give the Turner Prize away to someone who could draw the complete Driller world in the style of late 20th century impressionist artists.

I wish I kept my school books now instead of burning them outside the school gates.
  • edited July 2002
    On 2002-07-19 22:52, AndyHerbert wrote:
    I blame those stupid walk through guides you can now buy at the same time, sometimes before, the actual game.

Buy? I've got about 40 PC game guides and I downloaded all of them for free, the majority from GameSpot.
  • edited July 2002
    I confess, I bought the Morrowind guide. No freakin' way I'm sitting there mapping out that thing with a felt-tip pen! :D
  • edited July 2002
    i only ever drew 1 full map and that was for Espionage Island.
    I remember writing down the cheat code and numbers for the screens on manic miner in the back of my history book during the lesson but the best for me was copying the colour inlay card for jet set willy during maths using felt tip pens and all the time my maths teacher thought i was doing some bloody trigonomotry...hahaha i fooled her!!
    :D
  • edited July 2002
    I tried mapping a few games though have never done any one fully. did attempt "soul of a robot" and "The Hobbit". too lazy to do the others.
  • I can't remember the last time I had to make a map for anything other than a Speccy game. Most modern games seem to come with maps as standard...
  • Has anyone still got their maps? Worth a scan and upload I reckon...
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • My Bubbler map was published in Your Sinclair -
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-maps/b/Bubbler.jpg
    drawn on paper (between A3 and A2 sized) pinched from the Technical Drawing class - we were allowed to take plenty of sheets for our homework. Once done, hand delivered to the Your Sinclair stall at the next Microfair along with the pokes and the 'Jing It Baby' cheat for Chronos.

The last map I made was during summer 2015 for the DS version of Kim Possible, so that I could collect all the pickups and complete the levels in the fastest time possible to achieve the Super Spy rating.
  • I made a few scribbled 'maps' back in the day for games like Pyjamarama, Techie Ted, Firelord and the odd text adventure.

Nothing up to Mr Gubbins' standard though. Props!
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Amazing draftsmanship Mat, don't suppose you got it back? That would look great on the wall.
  • Thanks guys, the artwork wasn't returned but got a few badges and compliments slip through the post.
  • I've still got most of my hand-drawn (mostly adventures, mostly unfinished) maps from Spectrum games. They usually include notes about object locations, vocabulary, solving problems, etc., although these are sometimes so cryptic that I've forgotten what they mean.

Ashkeron - finished game, map seems mostly done, 7 pages (2 crossed out)
    Atic Atac - finished, a quite neat pencilled map on 6 pages
    Avalon - unfinished, 4 pages, lots of crossings out
    Basil the Great Mouse Detective - unfinished fragment, 1 page
    Batman - nearly finished, 4 reasonably tidy pages
    Book of the Dead - unfinished fragment, 1 page
    Bride of Frankenstein - unfinished fragment, 1 page (but see below)
    Colour of Magic - unfinished, 2 pages
    Damned Forest - unfinished, map mostly done, 1 page (unidentifed map on reverse)

If you want to try identifying the unidentified map, here's some of my notes which might prompt a memory :
    * gate house (gas main lever, matches, hmmm...)
    * vegetable plot (carrots - from seeds)
    * greenhouse (watering can, seeds, hmmm...)
    * garden + flowers
    * wood + log (*silver bar*, planks)
    * bedroom + bed (whistle) - blow whistle
    * room (pantry) *brooch*
    * room + table (lamp)
    * study + safe
    * room + shadow + hole -> rope + shovel
    * alcove + stone -> cavern + stalactite -> acid pool + plug
    * beggar (*gold coin*)
    * top of cliff (*onyx sculpture*)
    * beach -> harbour + ship -> net
    * ravine + bridge (use rope + planks)

Dungeon Master - finished, 10 pages, lots of crossings out
    Future Knight - unfinished, 6 pages, reasonably neat
    Gyron - mapped all three games, but didn't quite finish Necropolis (1 page each)
    Heartland - finished, 5 pages
    Heavy on the Magick - finished, 11 pages, quite a neat effort
    Hobbit - finished game, but map's an awful mess

Oh, I've found a letter from "Homeground - The International KATE BUSH Fanzine" in amongst the maps, overwritten with tips from Mountains of Ket. "Hello, Sorry it's late again. All the best for '85. Dave".

Neverending Story - unfinished, messy map across 4 pages
    Price of Magik - finished, map published by Michael Bruhn with his DID fanzine
    Riddler's Den - just some notes and a small map with a dozen or so locations
    Runes of Zendos - finished, but I seem to have lost the map
    Sherlock - messy map on 3 pages, got nowhere with that one
    Souls of Darkon - finished, but just a map fragment & notes on 1 page
    Spellbound - 3 pages, mostly notes, unfinished
    Stifflip & Co - 1 page, ditto
    Storm - unfinished, 3 pages
    Tir Na Nog - finished, 9 pages, quite a neat map
    Treasure Island Dizzy - just some notes
    Underwurlde - not quite finished, map with lots of tiny rooms across 4 pages
    Zzzz - I think I finished this, but I just have some notes, no map

That's the end of the Spectrum maps that I've still got; the remainder of the pile is for PC games. I did a few nice maps on the PC for Spectrum games which are on-line; mostly on The Tipshop, I think. These are: 5th Quadrant, Here Comes the Sun, Trailblazer, Twin Kingdom Valley, Bride of Frankenstein, Crusoe, Last Sunset for Lattica, Wiz.

• Heavy on the Magick - finished, 11 pages, quite a neat effort

I'm kind of obsessed with this game. Is your map available somewhere?
    Heavy on the disasm
  • You should make them all available if you are able to! I know they would just be of passing interest to most people, but personally I think they give historical context to the era.
  • I miss that, we'd see immaculate drawings of maps that must have taken hours and hours, like Mat's map. The isometric games especially, they always had well drawn maps.
    I guess there aren't really any games that warrant hand drawn maps these days, the internet killed graph paper, and the endless pursuit of finer and finer point felt pens :D - that and procedural roguelikes seem to be the only type of 2D games we see these days.

It's funny, but I have yet to find a better use for graph paper than game mapping or development... I use it all the time, it's ideal for planning things for games, of course - but my point is that I don't use it for anything else. Then there's isometric graph paper, which seems to have only been invented for mapping isometric games :D - I remember the first time I saw that, my head nearly exploded, ohh the speccy game mapping possibilities that could have been!
  • Bedazzle wrote: »
    I'm kind of obsessed with this game. Is your map available somewhere?
    Yes, it's available on 11 sheets of paper in a cupboard in my house. :) There are other maps available for Heavy on the Magick on both WoS and Tipshop. I'm not likely to be doing a paper to PNG version of mine any time soon.
  • Yes, it's available on 11 sheets of paper in a cupboard in my house. :) There are other maps available for Heavy on the Magick on both WoS and Tipshop. I'm not likely to be doing a paper to PNG version of mine any time soon.

Of course, I already have maps from WOS and TS.
    Please, please, please, scan your work, or at least do a photo! Maybe one day I release HOTM extensions promised by GG, then you will be mentioned somewhere. ;)

Heavy on the disasm
    Maybe one day I release HOTM extensions promised by GG...

Is this something you're working on Bedazzle? Or is it a wish / dream?

• OK, I'll scan the pages for my "Heavy on the Magick" map over the weekend, join together the multi-page levels, and put them up on my site. The map measures 2'x4' in total area. I'll check through the other games where I've done a complete map (including the PC games) and if they're not too messy I'll scan them as well.
  • ^
    That would be fun to see.

It's funny how when I was a bairn taking notes and drawing maps was just an accepted part of playing computer games. Nowadays, as an old curmudgeon, I rile at the idea!

It's a shame that it seems to be something long since lost though. It certainly helped games 'leap from the telly' into the real world with homemade real life material articles tied to a virtual world. The tangible and intangible together if you want to get faffy about it. :)

It's something that I'd like to see come back - at least in some form or other. I mean, companies could mechandise the crud out of official stationary and the like.
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer. 212 555 4200
  • edited April 2016
    ...I mean, companies could mechandise the crud out of official stationary and the like.

Like this you mean...

PRODPIC-39771.jpg

BHaoo_FCYAIozGd.jpg
    Post edited by Luny on
  • Personally, I've always found these a bit pointless. I guess the idea of doing the Right Things in a Strict Pre-Defined Order, typically with some kinda time limit to boot (and in the end you get a, what, 'OK you've saved the princess ggwpxoxo' message?) just didn't hold too much appeal to me. As a rule of thumb it tended to be much more fun to just roam around :)
  • Luny wrote: »

It is a dream, but I'm working on it with small steps.

Like was mentioned earlier, several months ago I tried to contact GG, but they didn't gave blessing because of current work "with big software house". Unfortunately, active agreement covers all their past work, even old Speccy.

So I'm just "playing" with game in text editor, sjasm and emulator. :)
    Heavy on the disasm
    Luny wrote: »

It is a dream, but I'm working on it with small steps.

Like was mentioned earlier, several months ago I tried to contact GG, but they didn't gave blessing because of current work "with big software house". Unfortunately, active agreement covers all their past work, even old Speccy.

So I'm just "playing" with game in text editor, sjasm and emulator. :)

Would you like some help?
  • Luny wrote: »
    Would you like some help?

I think, not at this moment. :) But I will keep you in mind. ;)
    Heavy on the disasm
  • OK, cheers.
  • As requested, I've put my old maps for Heavy on the Magick here (4 mono GIFs, 959 kb):

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27paw4/pourri/hotmmaps.zip

There was some text in green on the first page which didn't scan, so I overtyped the area. It was supposed to be black bold text but Paintshop did it in outline; I couldn't see how to fix that.

The unidentified map was for Golden Apple.
    Thanked by 1Bedazzle
  • I filled my maths jotters with maps for Bloodwych, found them not so long ago. I've recently posted a few of my other maps I found as well, for games like Battle Command, Barbarian 2, and Super Robin Hood. Not sure if I posted them here or elsewhere.
  • edited April 2016
    I actually handmade my own wee tips magazine called "Tipster" with maps I made myself. Only one copy in existence lol.
    Tipster1.JPG
    Tipster2.jpg
    Tipster3.jpg
    Tipster4.jpg
    Post edited by The Lone Magpie on