I just bought the Amstrad e mailer with ZX Spectrum emulator built ini am i

edited January 2003 in Sinclair Miscellaneous
Its not a bad phone, i am posting this meesage with it. I wanted the phone anyway, the games centre was an extra bonus. Mind you , i think the games centre was a bit of an afterthought, its not that great.
Post edited by thx1138 on
Thanked by 1ivanb303

Comments

• edited January 2003
    The games centre, is pretty damned poor actually. After a lot of use, I conclude it was very much an afterthought.

I mean, the unit has a QWERTY keyboard, and yet mostly you have to use the stupid cursor keys. The choice of games is pathetic.

I pretty much just play chess on it now and then.

Anyway, for anyone that cares;

you can get them for 50 quid now;

http://www.currys.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0323133786.1041473185@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadchdllfkgfcefecfgmdffgdflg.0&chain=Currys&channel=WEB&browserName=ie&browserVersion=5&platform=pc&firstrun=yes&page=Home×tamp=2:6:24&page=Home&chain=Currys&channel=WEB×tamp=2:6:24&browserName=ie&browserVersion=5&platform=pc

• GPGP
    edited January 2003
    store it in the attic for 20 yrs then sell it on eBay ;)
  • edited January 2003
    I heard you could download games!
    Is that true or false?
  • edited January 2003
    It is true.

The choice is very limited.

There are several categories, such as action, arcade, sport, puzzle.

In total there are less than 100 games available. They cost 50 pence to download, and are autodeleted after 3 days.
  • edited January 2003
    I don't have one of these myself, but have heard this complaint before elsewhere. For this reason I emailed Amstrad several weeks ago regarding the lack of titles available, to see if they were interested in acquiring distribution rights to every game I wrote for the machine. As I'm still waiting for a reply I shall assume they're not interested.

Thankfully, most of my games are available to download from the WOS archives, and the only one mentioned as "missing in action" was so dire as to be unworthy of even an Alan Sugar Sinclair/Frankenstein abomination :)

How much do you reckon these Amstrad Emailers will be worth in a few years?

[ This Message was edited by: jonathan on 2003-01-03 16:21 ]
    No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • edited January 2003
    About ?3
  • edited January 2003
    Probably about the same as the old Amstrad Games console is now.

I guess that a boxed one will be worth (the future equivalent with inflation) a mere 30.00 pounds in around 15-20 years.
  • thx1138 wrote: »
    Probably about the same as the old Amstrad Games console is now.

I guess that a boxed one will be worth (the future equivalent with inflation) a mere 30.00 pounds in around 15-20 years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad-e-Mailer-plus-Boxed-brand-new-unused-/172130567704
  • Which is actually less than the going rate for a Amstrad GX4000 Console.
  • Jonathan: You wrote to Amstrad, but as far as I know, Amstrad is out of business. It has been sold to Sky and Sky does at the moment not do anything with the label. So your mails go into nowhere.
    I had the same experience when I wrote to Amstrad about the Spectrum30 Party. However, when I recognized that Sky took over Amstrad, I wrote to Sky as well, but still no answer. Best idea might be to ask the makers of the VEGA, as they should have contact with Sky (due to copyright reason, they own Amstrad and Amstrad owns Sinclair computers right).
  • edited March 2016
    Speccyman wrote: »
    Jonathan: You wrote to Amstrad, but as far as I know, Amstrad is out of business. It has been sold to Sky and Sky does at the moment not do anything with the label. So your mails go into nowhere.
    Hi Speccyman, Jonathan's post dates back from January 2003 so you might be a bit late with your reply. Things were different back then.
    ;)
    Post edited by Pascal Tournois on
  • Bump! This thread cropped up as a Related Discussion and thought I'd give it a peek.

Someone above, back in '03, recommended selling it on eBay in 20 years time. We're not that far off 20 years and, well, it might be worth trying in another 20 :))

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xamstrad+emailer.TRS0&_nkw=amstrad+emailer&_sacat=0
  • You never know. Look at the prices unwrapped cassettes are going for now! If only I hadn't opened that pack of TDK AR90s in 1998 and recorded something on them, I'd be sitting on a fortune now...
  • I'm 99% sure I've got a load of those, unwrapped in an attic somewhere......
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • Without looking - new cassettes must be a bit pants then?
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.