Steve Davis Snooker 128k?

edited May 2014 in Games
I'm in the middle of an, erm, interesting discussion with a bloke on AtariAge. The long and the short of it is he's claiming to have written a 128k version of Steve Davis Snooker, released by CDS Microsystems. Now I don't believe a word of it, as he initially implied that he wrote the original game (which came out in 1984) yet his date of birth in his profile page was 1977. When I pulled him up on this, he changed his DOB to 1971 and implied I couldn't read (I saved a copy of his old profile page as I had the suspicion he'd do something like that).

Anyway, I can't find any reference to a 128k version of Steve Davis Snooker, nor any reference to a list of games he claims to have written...
Halls of Zatress, Centipod, Zombie!, Advanced Lawnmover[sic] Simulator, Steve Davis Snooker (renamed by publisher CDS originally callled plain Snooker), Penalty Shootout, Forest, Big Boxing, Shooting Range and Digger Doug (which had digitised speech and music on the 128k!) were all games I wrote myself. I also helped out with the coding on many other games and did work for Durell, Star Soft, CDS and Firebird (who my uncle worked for).
...but I'm fully prepared to admit I'm wrong if anyone has ever heard of any of these. He also claims to have had some games on magazine cover tapes but won't give any other details.

Anyone remember this mystical 128k version of Steve Davis Snooker? Or is this bloke just making crap up? The thread's here if anyone's interested and would like to comment.
Post edited by Malc74 on

Comments

• edited August 2006
    For wotever it's worth: I certainly haven't heard of it! :)

EDIT: Plus I find it an interesting co-incidence that none of the games mentioned by him can be traced.
  • edited August 2006
    Perhaps Rainbird Rich could investigate his Firebird claims and also his uncle (probably called bob or dave)

I've heard of Rogue traders and rogue ebayers but rogue 8bit coders, hmmmmmm, could be an interesting topic. Perhaps we could have a topic called rogue retro where any rogue coder, dodgy ebayer etc could be named and shamed.

Whilst on the subject of Firebird has anyone else noticed that if your loading a firebird bleepload game and have the original box on the desk somewhere near the monitor the red firebird logo glows as it loads. Believe me it's true I saw it myself.
  • edited August 2006
    "the original 1984 CDS game which was written in Basic!"

No it wasn't. Writing a decent pool or snooker simulation requires machine code and involves sine tables, fast custom-written multiplication and division routines, not to mention square roots - at least it would if I were writing it. This is probably beyond the scope of someone who can get his own birthdate so spectacularly wrong. If he had anything to do with any 128K version it's likely he just bolted a few add-ons to the original code and nothing else.

"I had a few on cover tapes on magazines"

"I also helped out with the coding on many other games and did work for Durell, Star Soft, CDS and Firebird"

There's only one Star Soft game in the archive, it's called Froggy and appeared on the 16/48 tape - I assume he's referring to that. It's written in BASIC with a solitary machine code routine which appears to call the ROM sound routine at 949. If this is one of his efforts he would have been 12 or 13 when this was written, which is credible enough.
    No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • edited August 2006
    jonathan wrote:
    "the original 1984 CDS game which was written in Basic!"

No it wasn't. Writing a decent pool or snooker simulation requires machine code and involves sine tables, fast custom-written multiplication and division routines, not to mention square roots - at least it would if I were writing it. This is probably beyond the scope of someone who can get his own birthdate so spectacularly wrong. If he had anything to do with any 128K version it's likely he just bolted a few add-ons to the original code and nothing else.

Good point - I had a look at the tzx and there is, indeed, a large chunk of machine code (about 13K) compared to around 8K or so of BASIC. It's kind of interesting he claims to have "updated" a game and isn't aware of the language it was written in.
    "I had a few on cover tapes on magazines"

"I also helped out with the coding on many other games and did work for Durell, Star Soft, CDS and Firebird"

There's only one Star Soft game in the archive, it's called Froggy and appeared on the 16/48 tape - I assume he's referring to that. It's written in BASIC with a solitary machine code routine which appears to call the ROM sound routine at 949. If this is one of his efforts he would have been 12 or 13 when this was written, which is credible enough.

I've found a few more quotes from him where he mentions buying an Atari Lynx in 1990 and states that one of his schoolmates owned a Game Gear. Now if he was still at school in 1991 (when the GG came out in the UK) then he obviously wasn't born in (his amended birth year) of 1971.

I'm leaning heavily toward the belief he's just churning out random crap in an effort to sound cool. He probably thinks that because it's primarily a North American forum that no-one will question what he says, especially when it comes to the Speccy. Still, maybe there's a sensible explanation to it all - I'll wait and see if he replies to my last post.
  • edited August 2006
    Malc74 wrote:
    Good point - I had a look at the tzx and there is, indeed, a large chunk of machine code (about 13K) compared to around 8K or so of BASIC. It's kind of interesting he claims to have "updated" a game and isn't aware of the language it was written in.

I've found a few more quotes from him where he mentions buying an Atari Lynx in 1990 and states that one of his schoolmates owned a Game Gear. Now if he was still at school in 1991 (when the GG came out in the UK) then he obviously wasn't born in (his amended birth year) of 1971.

I'm leaning heavily toward the belief he's just churning out random crap in an effort to sound cool. He probably thinks that because it's primarily a North American forum that no-one will question what he says, especially when it comes to the Speccy. Still, maybe there's a sensible explanation to it all - I'll wait and see if he replies to my last post.

This guy sounds like a fraud to me. Loved the post where you linked to his pre-amended profile via Google cache. Nice one.
  • edited August 2006
    An interesting read indeed, although they seem to think we count re-releases into the count (we don't; those are all unique entries, as easily verified)...
  • edited August 2006
    Daren wrote:
    This guy sounds like a fraud to me. Loved the post where you linked to his pre-amended profile via Google cache. Nice one.

Yeah this guy is talking shite. I bothered to look at some of the topics he started at AA and this post sums it up: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65679&hl=

He did some programming on the Spectrum in Basic, ie nothing of which would have been published after 83/84 (when he was 7 years old ;-) Several other of his posts are asking for information on how to program in assembly and how to compile basic programs. That's not the sort of questions any experienced programmer, capable of writing a complete commercial game on his own, would ask. Maybe he did have an uncle at Firebird who let him playtest or help out a bit, I don't know.

Of "his" titles, I did find Centipod, ALS (of course), Steve Davis Snooker (as you did), and Forest in the WOS database, and all by different authors. I've nerver heard of a 128k version of Steve Davis Snooker either?

I say take it easy on him and don't embarass him too much -- his life is not going well / he's very young if he's making up these sorts of fantasies.
  • edited August 2006
    Rumbled! haha that's a funny thread. I'm looking forward to reading his reply ...
    :D
  • edited August 2006
    Rumbled! haha that's a funny thread. I'm looking forward to reading his reply ...
    :D

Oh. My. God. This guy is unbelievable! He really is claiming he's the author of the original Advanced Lawnmower Sim! So that makes him either Duncan MacDonald or Walter Mitty.

I've gone with the second option. And I'm pretty much going to leave it at that. AA is right - the poor guy must be pretty screwed in the head.
  • edited August 2006
    Hey Malc I much prefer your AtariAge avatar perhaps I'll change mine to Wee Eck
  • edited August 2006
    Major league blagger....:D

I liked this reply from some other guy..

"This thread has no offcially lost me. I don't even know who Duncan MacDonald is. Even if I did know, I don't think I'd care if Kizza was or was not this person. All the guy said was he wrote a couple of games here and there . Geez, he never claimed to be freakin' Clive Sinclair, or anything"

So in other words he really doesnt mind being bullshitted. He would have enjoyed long chats with TKrap I guess :)

Not Clive Sinclair ? No thats coming in his next thread mate ;)
  • edited August 2006
    Sard wrote:
    So in other words he really doesnt mind being bullshitted. He would have enjoyed long chats with TKrap I guess :)

Maybe he is an Advanced TKrap Simulator.
  • edited August 2006
    lol - love it... especially foggy joining in at the end there.

i always think people making claims like that should be outed... no matter how tragic their real-life.... i thought such things only happened on PSP forums, not amongst the retro-community. still, the guy said he once owned an ST so wtf do you expect? he must be tw@ (no offence to any ST owners in here, although you all know you deserve it :p )
  • edited August 2006
    That was a great read. I love the defensiveness that came in - and not once did he come anywhere near to answering any of the reasonably questions put to him.

I can't imagine him making any more entries on that thread., though don't rule out some newly registered posted appearing from nowhere and completely defending the guy to the hilt!
  • edited August 2006
    MattLamb wrote:
    I can't imagine him making any more entries on that thread.

He was online just a little while ago, but didn't reply to the thread. If he's got any sense (and I accept he's shown no sense at all so far) he'll steer well clear, especially now that Foggy's rolled into town as well (cheers Foggy!).

As for Ray, there's probably some history showing in his quote. He's a relative newbie to AtariAge, and when he first showed up he started 3 different threads about why David Crane deserved the same recognition as Shigeru Miyamoto. After the third thread I got a bit narked and asked him if he was David Crane's mum or something, so he's probably just getting me back.
  • edited August 2006
    chop983 wrote:
    Hey Malc I much prefer your AtariAge avatar perhaps I'll change mine to Wee Eck

Heh! Now, who wants to be Fat Boab and Soapy Soutar?
  • edited August 2006
    The guy is a major fuckwit.
    My test signature
  • edited August 2006
    fogartylee wrote:
    The guy is a major fuckwit.

I'm absolutely speechless watching this going on! I'm itching to post something else, but it's pretty much just going to be feeding his ego and insanity at this point.
    I'd leave it Lee, the guy is as mad as a small village - he's probably, erm, wanking his cock furiously at all the attention he's getting right now.

[EDIT] Ah shite! I couldn't resist it.
  • edited August 2006
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80605&hl=

Scroll down and check out the dudes answers to these questions....

Game set and match methinks :)

Quick Addition: Yeah dont hold back on this turkey Malc ! Looking at the way he's happy to flame away in other threads on there he needs an arse kicking ! :)
  • edited August 2006
    that thread is so soo classic, lol
  • edited August 2006
    I know youve seen this Malc but i'll put it here for the others...

This is him talking about when the got his 1st Atari Lynx...
    Got mine in 1990 from Dixons when they had just dropped the price to ?129.99.....(blah blah)..... One of my friends AT SCHOOL had an imported Game Gear and I thought that was amazing and was gonna get one ... (blah blah)........It was the summer holidays at the time and it was so funny cos when I got back to SCHOOL 3 of my other mates had all got Lynx's too!

Now considering we have an obviously intelligent coder here , who even if we believe was born in 1971 was being published at the age of 14/15 or so... it seems that he was held back a year or two ( or three or four or five ) by a school who somehow missed his remarkable talents and forced him to attend untill he was at least in his early twenties ! Those 'O' Levels sure were a bitch huh ? :D

Ironically (and I shit you not) he says his favorite Spectrum game is " Bak To Skool " ;)

Mr Kizza :AKA Mr Kidder :)
  • edited August 2006
    I wrote Super Mario 64. Just in my spare time, like.
  • edited August 2006
    redballoon wrote:
    I wrote Super Mario 64. Just in my spare time, like.

I invented Redballoon, you know. He's a robot, made out of plastercine and Lego.
  • edited August 2006
    I bet 20p and a packet of Revels that Mr Kizza will try to spin out his excuses for two more posts before bringing the thread to a conclusion with the classic "oh no! I've just discovered that my little brother has been using my account to post stupid things here, I'll kill him when I get my hands on him".

Any other offers?
  • edited August 2006
    Well he doesn't seem like the type to give in so I reckon he will just come up with excuse after excuse. Usually he avoids the actual questions and comes out with something non related as if to change the subject in the hope that people will forget it.
    He should be a politician :D
  • edited August 2006
    Great post sard !

Funny as hell that thread. To think he thought 'i'll impress these Atari US fans making out i've written many ex games' and then its all total porkies.

So 'weird' as well that most of the games hes mentioned are the MIA ones ! And the lies about his age, funny as anything !
  • jpjp
    edited August 2006
    Hmm. Unless the target audience appreciate the reputation and subtle humor of "Advanced Lawnmover[sic] Simulator", this is probably not the finest example of code to brag about.... unless you are indeed Duncan Macdonald ;)
  • edited August 2006
    who needs TV when events like this unfold? haha

shame he seems to have gone mute now... i was hoping that old kizza might retort with "yeah... well.... YOUR MUM!"
  • edited August 2006
    jp wrote:
    Hmm. Unless the target audience appreciate the reputation and subtle humor of "Advanced Lawnmover[sic] Simulator", this is probably not the finest example of code to brag about.... unless you are indeed Duncan Macdonald ;)

Exactly ! I thought okay hes telling porkies about those other games but why oh why would you say you created that game when that one is so obviously 100% done by Your Sinclair as a wind up
  • edited August 2006
    Actually, a lot of us could be eating some humble pie as I've dug deep into the Spectrum scene to find out that he was one of the top coders.
    Evidence : http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/1516/kizzavt9.png