I wish I was an American bread-based snack. Oh how happy I would be...

edited August 2006 in Chit chat
D'ya remember this post?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8665&highlight=bagels

I was just reading it and it led to a very interesting (although possibly unanswerable) question. What is it about our website that it attracts so many pre-adolescents with social and behavioural disorders? So far we've had...

Tkrap (and his clones)
Gamestage (and his clones)
Miner_Willy (the 14 year old kid)
usspeccyfan (???)

There has probably been a lot more too that we don't know about. Can someone explain it? Answers on the side of a Starbucks coffee carton to the usual address* please.

Necros.

* /dev/null :)

Comments

• I would be a Bagel for a change !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • edited August 2016
    Surely that's a Jewish bready snack
    Post edited by beanz on
  • edited August 2016
    Doh.....Alright I would be a Matzo ball then !
    Post edited by grey key on
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • edited August 2016
    Talking bread based products, this morning I woke up fancying two soft fried eggs on buttered bread, with a little salt, went to the bread bin, opened it, then realised I had given the last half of the loaf to the foxes yesterday.
  • What are you cooking for the hedgehogs?
  • Brown sauce, oh wait you said for not on Oo
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • Morkin wrote: »
    What are you cooking for the hedgehogs?
    When they stayed over at Mr Badger's they had fried bacon IIRC. They had to cook it themselves though as Badger was 'indisposed' and Ratty and Moley pulled rank.

Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Not a problem in the end, I went to get the frying pan and in the cupboard was a complete unopened loaf, which I forgot I had bought, so happy ending.

The foxes and the seagulls get budget dogfood, the hedgehogs also have dogfood and leftovers, the 3 stray cats have budget catfood and biscuits, they don't even try to cook bacon, since the Foxes stole the frying pan.
  • You're not the guy I sometimes see sitting on a bench in York, covered in breadcrumbs and pigeons are you? Or the one who feeds his nuts to squirrels (steady!)?
    Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Nuts to squirrels ? I only give them a square of Cadbury's chocolate each, they eat a line from the top, than give it a quarter turn, then repeat the process until it is eaten, if they carried on after that, they would eat their hands. By the way the pigeons all over me are only a disguise, I am a secret agent after all.
  • I sometimes wonder what makes a pigeon fancier. Do you add glitter?
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • edited August 2016
    Sequins work equally well, with superglue, but I used my last bit when I superglued my knee to the floor and spilled my can of Monster Ripper ! The carpet will be ok, but I will have to wear the same pair of trousers for months, no change there then !
  • I find quite scary when a pigeon stares at me!
  • Be careful of the ones that tilt their heads at you slightly, they're contemplating your demise. I hear the big fat ones with the green heads can shoot psychic bullets.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • The head tilting is communication, if you copy them with the head tilts, and noises, you will become a pigeon to them. The seagulls love it as well !
  • By the way, reading the thread title I come to the conclusion that the key to happiness is being a twinkie.

I wish I had a twinkie now...
  • Oh sorry, I thought you said you wish you WERE a twinky, never mind I will change you back to normal in while.
  • edited August 2016
    Twinkies are really, really, disgusting.

I've never known anything that was supposed to be plain yellow sponge cake with cream (sorry "creme") in the middle taste so much like bath sponge filled with polyurethane.

Absolutely rank!
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Twinkies are really, really, disgusting.

I've never known anything that was supposed to be plain yellow sponge cake with cream (sorry "creme") in the middle taste so much like bath sponge filled with polyurethane.

Absolutely rank!

I've never tried them, although I'm pretty sure you can get them in Canada.

Most of the American 'staples' I've tried - like Oreos and Hershey's chocolate - have been a bit of a let-down.

They weren't so bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them again.

• A lot of people hate US chocolate, i think they use different ingredients?
    I tried Hersheys once and it was rotten.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Hersheys has an aftertaste of vomit. No wonder Americans love British chocolate!
  • Neilsen chocolate is pretty good.

Hershey's 'Cookies 'N' Cream' bar is quite good as well. (It's like white chocolate with chocolate chips) - and those 'Hugs' and 'Kisses' (little blobs of chocolate wrapped in tinfoil) are alright.
    (They come in plastic bags - people in offices tend to buy them and put them in bowls on their desks for some reason).

Their regular chocolate is OK as well.. I get one now and again for a change, but like I said earlier, it's not something I tend to go for often.

I mostly buy Cadbury's 'Wunderbar' when I'm grabbing something. It's the same as Cadbury's 'Star Bar' is/was in the UK, but repackaged, obviously. Those are great.

I miss 'Boost' and 'Wispa' - never seen anything like those over here.

• Yeah I'll be grabbing a load of Wunderbars when I hit Canada in October, and a few packs of Romeo and Juliets :D
  • How long will it be before Cadburys have an after taste of vomit?
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • Talking funny names for snacks, whatever happened to KP " Snackers " ? they were a mix of 4 or so snacks including peanuts and I loved them. I think they went off of sale about a year ago. I have tried to find old stock on the internet, but it seems everywhere is sold out.

If it had been for the fact that people used to call them Nackers, they would have re-named them, walkers do the ones with a mix but not like Snackers !
  • grey key wrote: »
    Talking funny names for snacks, whatever happened to KP " Snackers " ? they were a mix of 4 or so snacks including peanuts and I loved them. I think they went off of sale about a year ago. I have tried to find old stock on the internet, but it seems everywhere is sold out.

If it had been for the fact that people used to call them Nackers, they would have re-named them, walkers do the ones with a mix but not like Snackers !

Can you not make your own from a variety of kp,snacks?

:))
  • Luny wrote: »
    How long will it be before Cadburys have an after taste of vomit?

"Bourneville Green is PEOPLE!!" :P
  • Luny wrote: »
    How long will it be before Cadburys have an after taste of vomit?

Probably not long in the US since Hershey are distributing the Cadbury stuff, although the whole no importing "British Candy" embargo they tried to enforce a year or so back hasn't worked at all. All the shops that would sell proper Cadbury, or Galaxy (None of this "Dove" shite), still do as far as I can see.

I've got some Drifters, some Mint Aeros, Dairy milks (plain, and funky variations), smarties, a packet of penguins, a couple of Yorkie bars, and a load of crisps. Most of these were bought after the whole let's stop people importing British snacks b*llocks.

I've got 18 bottles of Irn-Bru in the closet, the ones in the fridge are out of date now. I'm not a food hoarder unless it's British stuff. I seem to have a problem with eating it incase I don't get any more :))
  • edited August 2016
    Yeah I'll be grabbing a load of Wunderbars when I hit Canada in October, and a few packs of Romeo and Juliets :D

Whereabouts in Canada are you headed to?

Loblaws / Real Canadian Superstore have an imported foods aisle where you can get Ribena cordial in 1 Litre bottles for about $7. I'll have to get some more as I'm starting to run low.

(I only usually buy a couple of bottles once or twice a year. They don't seem to 'do' cordial in Canada as this is the only brand of it I've seen. They have frozen, concentrated fruit juice that you throw into a two litre pitcher and fill it up with water and mix it in, but there's no local cordial mixes, which was quite surprising.

I tend to drink hot Ribena when it gets cold. It's quite nice.)

They also had Horlicks when I moved here in 2005, but they seem to have stopped getting that in now. They have Ovaltine Malted Milk instead. I got it once, but I tried it and it's rank, so I'm not getting that again.

You mentioned Yorkie bars - there's a candy place in town that imports foreign sweets from all over - they had a Roadshow stand at a mall once and I was passing - I ended up paying about $5 for a Yorkie.

Oh yeah, and this girl from one of the offices I work in went to England and brought back a load of Cadbury's chocolate. She gave me a Curly-Wurly. Hadn't seen one of those in years.
    Post edited by Grunaki on