Arcade Conversions

edited February 2002 in Games
What arcade conversions do people still play on their Speccys (real or emulated)?

For me it has to be Commando, Frank Bruno (Punch Out arcade clone), Paperboy, Ghosts and Goblins, Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble (there are some great MAME versions - BB Memories is fantastic)

These were the ultimate games of their time in the arcades that I used to go home and wish I could own - and now we can with MAME and such-like.

Windows and Mac owners can play these ROMS (my powerbook gets a daily workout of bombjack) but it?s still fun to load up the Spectrum version once in a while?

So what arcade conversions do you still enjoy on the Spectrum?

Also - does anyone own the DVD versions of Dragon?s Lair 1 & 2 and if so are they any good? Apparently they're mastered from the original laserdiscs....
Post edited by beebul on

Comments

• edited February 2002
    I still play R-Type 1 and 2 on the Rage emulator, and on MAME, Frogger, Phoenix, Pacman and Space Invaders.

On the speccy, I love Pheenix and Horace Goes Skiing (just about counts as an arcade conversion of Frogger maybe icon_smile.gif
  • edited February 2002
    Strange as it seems, I think couple of the Spectrum conversions are actually better than the originals, particularily Renegade and Bombjack. Every time I try the Mame version of Bombjack, I get disappointed even if it is a good game. The arcade version of Renegade, however, is truly crap!

Apart from those, I still play Cabal, Op. Wolf, Terra Cresta and Commando. I've probably forgotten half a dozen good arcade conversions, but these are the ones that are so great that I regard them as equally good as the originals.

Btw: I've completed the Mame version of R-Type on just 1 credit! I never completed the Speccy version though, since I had the bad version of the game with the last level missing.
  • edited February 2002
    Ah yeah - forgot R Type - I think the Speccy version is on a par with the arcade...

Great graphics.
  • edited February 2002
    Hi, I played fabulous FlyingShark conversion from DominicRobinson as any other game in my life... just cool!
    Also I find that 128k version of Op.Wolf is very addictive.
    I agree with that Renegade from speccy is many better that coin-op.

Seems that is inevitable to talk of R-Type =) well, I got finished in Amiga version just with one life. In speccy I reached until 7 stage.. I guess.. This game is cool in all versions..

Also I like GreenBeret, DragonSpirit and RainbowIslands speccy versions.
  • edited February 2002
    Oh damned! I forgot to mention Green Beret (thanks for the reminder, Javier)! That's another one of the games that is better in the Spectrum version than the arcade version.

btw: The Amiga version of R-Type was very easy compared to most other versions. icon_wink.gif
  • edited February 2002
    Bomb Jack is the winner (the BOMB!), hands down. R-Type, Green Beret, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Commando are already mentioned, but I'd like to confirm that they're really great conversions.

And I want to add some new ones: Enduro Racer, WEC Le Mans and Spy Hunter. I played the original Spy Hunter with MAME the other day and I was really disappointed! The Speccy version is much better.
  • edited February 2002
    Spyhunter! What a classic. Not been able to figure the key controls out on MAME - though... not that I've spent that much time trying - it just isn't the same without the steering wheel and the pedals!

Great Speccy conversion though!

Keep 'em coming! icon_smile.gif

Paperboy is another good example - play it for 5 mins on MAME but without the handlebars it's just too frustrating...

Speccy version is pretty good considering...
  • edited February 2002
    what about Chase H.Q.?? did you seen the coin-op?? I dont but the speccy game, is totally superb.

Also I guess Forgotten Worlds is a nice conversion.. I like ForgottenWolrds but not Strider conversion.

ah! and SpaceHarrier were pretty incredible..
  • edited February 2002
    Chase HQ had steering wheel and pedals, it seemed great at the time, but now I prefer the Speccy version to the MAME version.

Forgotten Worlds - love Spectrum version. Never played it in the arcade - have to check out that ROM.

Space Harrier was an amazing contraption in the arcade and the speech used to be really loud (you'd always here it when you were miles away from the arcade). I'vve completed it in MAME.

The speccy conversion is fantastic.
  • edited February 2002
    What about Rainbow Islands? I actually found a Rainbow Islands arcade machine once. There are a few things missing from the Spectrum version but you'd barely notice.
  • edited February 2002
    I'd agree Bomb Jack, Green Beret and Spy Hunter on the spectrum are much more fun than their original arcade versions (and any other home computer version too). Lets not forget The Empire strikes back, which (bar the speech missing) is almost as good as the arcade version.

Oooo, and how could I forget to mention Tapper - Just as playable as the arcade version too.

MAME-wise, no other version beats the original arcade Marble Madness, Gauntlet, 720, Final Fight, or Streetfighter 2 games.
  • edited February 2002
    Playability wins over every other Arcade gimmick - novelty control systems, colour graphics, speech, whatever...

And as we all know the Speccy had oodles and oodles of that!
  • edited February 2002
    So, since I have little to add, is the definitive list (I hope!) of top arcade conversions based on the posts on this thread:

NOTE: In order or no particular importance

1) Chase HQ
    2) Green Beret
    3) Forgotten Worlds
    4) R-Type
    5) Rainbow Islands
    6) Commando
    7) Frank Bruno
    8) Paperboy
    9) Ghosts and Goblins
    10) Gauntlet
    11) Bubble Bobble
    12) Renegade
    13) Bombjack
    14) Cabal
    15) Operation Wolf
    16) Terra Cresta
    17) Flying Shark
    18) Enduro Racer
    19) Wec Le Mans
    20) Spy Hunter
    21) Space Harrier
    22) Tapper
    23) Xaviour (my addition)
    24) Gryzor (based on the Contra arcade game)

BTW, weren't there any good fighting games? And how good were the Outrun and Afterburner conversions?
  • edited February 2002
    Most of the great conversions have already been mentioned but i also liked the Speccy versions of Yie Ar Kung Fu and Hypersports.
  • edited February 2002
    Both Outrun and Afterburner were pretty bad conversions.
  • edited February 2002
    Super Off-Road Racer is a near perfect conversion from original.. just like Plotting.
    Also Solomon?sKey was a nice conversion.

Hey, Arjun in the list you say "Xaviour".. did you wanted to say "Xevious"??

bye
  • edited February 2002
    What about Super Sprint? I'm sure the Speccy version was good although my memory is going and i may of played it on a different format.
  • edited February 2002
    I only played BombJack for the first time last summer! I was hooked.

Got a rubber key 48k set up in the games room (have two computer rooms now LOL! one games one 'semi-serious') and I still play it now.

I loaded R-type up recently but I did not like it. I was very good on the coin-op though.
  • edited February 2002
    My fave speccy arcade conversions are...

Bombjack
    Enduro Racer
    Hunchback
    Galaxians (artics version)
    Hypersports
    Tapper
    Commando
    Star Wars

bad conversions....pole position was terrible,but then it was on any computer at the time,,and lets not mention street fighter 2 lol
  • edited February 2002
    Aaaaaaaargh!!!!

In my earlier post I forgot to mention 'Moon Cresta' - What a superb conversion, and while we're at it, Pheenix was smart too!
  • edited February 2002
    updated list (Version 2):

NOTE: In order or no particular importance

1) Chase HQ
    2) Green Beret
    3) Forgotten Worlds
    4) R-Type
    5) Rainbow Islands
    6) Commando
    7) Frank Bruno
    8) Paperboy
    9) Ghosts and Goblins
    10) Gauntlet
    11) Bubble Bobble
    12) Renegade
    13) Bombjack
    14) Cabal
    15) Operation Wolf
    16) Terra Cresta
    17) Flying Shark
    18) Enduro Racer
    19) Wec Le Mans
    20) Spy Hunter
    21) Space Harrier
    22) Tapper
    23) Xevious (thanks for the correction Javier)
    24) Gryzor (based on the Contra arcade game)
    25) Moon Cresta
    26) Pheenix
    27) Hypersports
    28) Star Wars
    29) Super Off-Road racer
    30) Super Sprint
  • edited February 2002
    Ms Pacman, add the song "PAC-MAN fever" to it through the cassetterecorder (although the original PACMAN would be better to it, but PAC-MAN isn't as good on our Speccie as the Arcade-version) and it is complete.

I've got PACMAN fever....
    It's driving me crazy.
    PACMAN fever....
    going out of my mind.

pi...di...li...di....dop. (GAME OVER!!!!)
  • edited February 2002
    I had to find the lyrics.....

"Pacman Fever"

I've got a pocket full of quarters,
    and I'm headed to the arcade.
    I don't have a lot of money,
    but I'm bringing everything I've made.
    I've gotta callus on my finger,
    and my shoulder's hurtin' too.
    I'm gonna eat 'em all up,
    just as soon as they turn blue.

Chorus: