Bat Out of Hell 2 vs Bat Out of Hell 3

edited March 2007 in Chit chat
Am I the only person who believes that Bat Out of Hell 2 is a vastly superior album to Bat Out of Hell 3?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big Meatloaf and Jim Steinman fan, but I feel that, while Bat 3 certainly has one or two good songs on it, it simply can't compete with Bat 2.

Please tell me I'm not alone here...

Sitting listening to Bat 2 right now. :)
Post edited by BigBadMick on

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Even better is Bat Out Of Hell. Brilliant album! Faves on that album are:

- Bat Out Of Hell (obviously!)
    - All Revved Up With No Place To Go (great ending!)
    - Heaven Can Wait (best ballad ever! Puts all boy bands to shame!).

Don't get me wrong, Bat Out Of Hell 2 is a great album as well! Best songs on that album are:

- I'd Do Anything For Love (this version's a whopping 12 mins long!)
    - Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back (the title pretty much describes what life is like nowadays)
    - Out Of The Frying Pan And Into The Fire (great tune!)
    - Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are (was the title inspired by Jurassic Park?).

I nearly cried when Bat Out Of Hell 3 finished as it was a major dissapointment (like most things nowadays).
  • edited March 2007
    BigBadMick wrote: »
    Am I the only person who believes that Bat Out of Hell 2 is a vastly superior album to Bat Out of Hell 3?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big Meatloaf and Jim Steinman fan, but I feel that, while Bat 3 certainly has one or two good songs on it, it simply can't compete with Bat 2.

Please tell me I'm not alone here...

Sitting listening to Bat 2 right now. :)
    You're not alone, you are indeed absolutely right. Bat 3 is a travesty. How you can have a Bat Out Of Hell album without Jim Steinman is beyond me.
    Meatloaf may be the monster who sings the songs but Jim Steinman is the Dr Frankenstein who breathes life into the monster and the songs.
    Meatloaf on his own is an average singer/performer, Jim Steinman albums are pretty ordinary but together they are pure genius.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited March 2007
    Yes, Bat out Hell (my favourite ever album) is better than BooH 2, which is better than BooH 3. And yes, Jim Steinman's music and lyrics made Bat out of Hell, in fact almost all of Meatloaf's best songs were by Steinman.

Heaven Can Wait is my favourite ever song.

BooH 3 does have some great songs. Well, two, if you ask me. It's All Coming Back To Me, and What About Love are both great, whilst Bad For Good and Blind as a Bat are good. But the opening track is just not a BooH song - wheres't the bombastic, operatic quality that everyone associates with the BooH albums?

BooH 3 isn't a bad album, just nowhere near the quality of the earlier two, I think.
  • edited March 2007
    karingal wrote: »
    Meatloaf on his own is an average singer/performer, Jim Steinman albums are pretty ordinary but together they are pure genius.

The whole is greater than the sum of their parts :-)

Although the Loaf is a good actor aswell.
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited March 2007
    Albums can't have sequels. Which is why both are dreadful (and the third sold poorly in the US, the store i work at has marked it down to 9 US Dollars)
  • edited March 2007
    Most of 3 was written by Steinman but due to legal reasons he decided to have nothing to do with it (basically Meatloaf decided to call the album Booh3 without permission as Steinman owns the copyright.)

I guess that if Steinman had been involved it would have been a much better album - instead it was left to others to mess around with the songs.
    My test signature