So you think you know your Spectrum games, do you....

edited April 2007 in Games
I thought this might be a fun thing to test your knowledge of Spectrum games - below is a quote taken directly from Crash in their description of a particular game (covering the entire span of the magazines existence).....all you have to do is identify which game is being referred to :smile: .

Easy......or is it?

(1) "the trick in each room is to discover the route and the methods by which you can reach the various charms which must be collected without being impaled on a spike, crushed by a failing ball chain or zapped by a poltergeist"

(2) "A hero must take on the twelve different adventures and find and destroy the twelve runic hour glasses hidden deep within his magical castle..."

(3) "The reactor is protected by some of the most state of the art hi-tech you?ve ever seen (wait for this) Photo-electric perimeter shield with Hyper-Phase Lazer deactivated lock externally, and internally and indestructible intermittent ultra-sonic quantum blaster!"

(4) "The literature enclosed with the game goes some way to pointing out the pros and cons of each of the moves but a great deal can only be learnt by experience. It's best to start by mastering some of the easier moves which will be quite effective against the low order opponents..."

(5) "You have control of a defending droid which can protect and steer randomly transmitted programs between Transmitter and Receiver in each sector. With its destination successfully reached the program activates defence mechanisms preventing further damage to that Brain section. When all nine sectors are activated The Brain is safe"

(6) "Each location contains four bars, and on the wall opposite the end of each is a soda dispenser"

(7) "The idyllic lazy life of a schoolboy is far from our young hero as he has to come to terms with a mother fresh from assertiveness training who has him cleaning the whole house..."

8 "The waterborne race is presented in overhead, smoothly-scrolling fashion. It looks easy but the characteristics of the vehicles are tricky, collisions with other vehicles or land leads to spins, and there?s some attractive explosions to throw you off course."

(9) "Your army isn?t huge, but you have control over artillery, foot soldiers and cavalry. As usual the secret to winning the battle is careful deployment of troops, and added realism comes in the form of smoke and distance which obscure your view, the latter being overcome by using a telescope."

(10) "...Knutz Folly is an artificial planetoid, built by the highly deranged Baron Knutz for his seemingly estranged wife Hazel, before he went totally out of his tree"

(11) "Another hazard which appears if a screen isn't cleared quickly enough is the dreaded Baron von Blubba, an indestructible horror who'll track down the heroic dinos and give them his fatal touch if all the other creatures aren't destroyed very rapidly"

(12) "The game starts with you being given the order form for the current level. At first it?s fairly easy, as only a couple of different character dolls need to be completed. The first task is to power up the huge machine, achieved by jumping on a bicycle and peddling like mad!"

(13) "When your fuel gets low and you return to the heli pad to refuel and re-arm, the workman dashes out and does it all in a very busy animated sequence. On taking off, you pass out over the bay and reach the massive tanker..."

(14) "Each event has a qualifying time, distance or target, and to go onto the next event you have to qualify in the preceding one - failure to do so results in the termination of your game. There are six of the original events..."

and

(15) "Not long ago we reviewed a game based on the well known Central TV quiz show...the game is surely well enough known not to have to describe it in detail..."

Hopefully you'll have a bit of fun with this..... :grin:
Post edited by Amfoot on

Comments

• edited March 2007
    (10) Sweevo's world
    (11) Bubble Bobble

Only ones I can get straight away :)

Although popping the text in google does pull up the Crash reviews... but that's cheating!
    Quazar - Celebrating 23 years of Developing for the SAM Coupé
    Hardware, Software, Magazines and more for the SAM Coupé
    Twitter: QuazarSamCoupe
  • edited March 2007
    (1 ) Dunno.
    (2 ) Dunno.
    (3 ) Dunno.
    (4 ) Way of the Exploding Fist?
    (5 ) Marionoids
    (6 ) Dunno.
    (7 ) Happiest days of our lives?
    (8 ) Dunno.
    (9 ) Dunno.
    (12) Dunno
    (13) Dunno
    (14) Daley thompson?
    (15) Dunno

Jeez. I suck at that!
  • edited March 2007
    Number 6 might be Tapper?
  • edited March 2007
    id say 2 is runes of zendos and 6 is tapper
  • edited March 2007
    oh and 8 looks like it might be run the gauntlet
  • edited March 2007
    1 through 15. Atic Atac
  • edited March 2007
    (1) Blinky's Scary school?

(4) Samurai Warrior?

(6) Tapper?

8 ) Jet Ski simulator?

(9) Stonkers?

(14) Supertest?

Hopefully you'll have a bit of fun with this..... :grin:

Aaargh! I don't think I got any 'em right! :(
  • edited March 2007
    The games with the question mark are guesses cos I've never played 'em.

1] Pentagram
    3) Quazatron
    7] The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 (7)
    13] Combat Lynx (?)
    14) Hypersports
    15] Blockbusters (?)
  • edited March 2007
    15) Blockbusters?
  • edited March 2007
    Arjun wrote: »
    (9) Stonkers?

Definitely not. :wink:

I think it's probably The General.
  • edited March 2007
    5) Martianoids
    13) Escape from Krakatoa?
  • edited March 2007
    jamieangus wrote: »
    Number 6 might be Tapper?

True... and Root Beer Tapper at that.
  • edited March 2007
    I remember seeing a map of 12 in YS.

At the bottom was a bike on a conveyor belt and there was loads of machinery above it. There were giant paint tubes up on the right hand side somewhere.

Can't think what the name of it is, but I do remember that map.

Oh, and I think it was a black background with mainly yellow sprites.

-edit-

Night Shift!!! :-D
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited March 2007
    4] Yie Ar Kung Fu
    8] Spy Hunter (maybe)
  • edited March 2007
    number 1 is manic miner!
  • edited March 2007
    You're all doing splendidly :rolleyes:

I'll do a quick update now, to keep things clear as to where we are with correct answers (and the first person in the string to correctly identify the game is the name in brackets after the solution, and well done you).

Games yet to be identified are denoted with a :-?

(1) :-?

(2) The Runes of Zendos (Jumping Stack)

(3) :-?

(4) Way of the Exploding Fist (Andrew Rollings)

(5) Martianoids (Andrew Rollings)

(6) Tapper (Jamieangus)

(7) The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Cuchulainn)

8 Run The Gauntlet (Jumping Stack)

(9) The General (MattB)

(10) Sweevo's World (Quazar)

(11) Bubble Bobble (Quazar)

(12) Nightshift (Vincent AC)

(13) :-?

(14) Hypersports (Cuchulainn)

(15) Blockbusters (Cuchulain)

So that's a darn fine effort all in all.....now, how about those remaining few...?
  • edited March 2007
    1. ???
    3. Blue Thunder
    13. Krakatoa
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited March 2007
    1. Knightlore?
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited March 2007
    13 has to be krakatoa - cichlasoma named it earlier in the thread
  • edited March 2007
    Amfoot wrote: »
    You're all doing splendidly :rolleyes:

I'll do a quick update now, to keep things clear as to where we are with correct answers (and the first person in the string to correctly identify the game is the name in brackets after the solution, and well done you).

Games yet to be identified are denoted with a :-?

(15) Blockbusters (Cuchulain)

So that's a darn fine effort all in all.....now, how about those remaining few...?
    mjwilson wrote: »
    15) Blockbusters?

I did get Blockbusters by my own deduction, but evertime I thought of another answer I edited my post. mjwilson got it as well, but I never saw his entry until I'd finished my 4 edits.

1] Hunchback (?)
  • edited March 2007
    1) is obviously Knight Lore.

3) Android 1: The Reactor Run?

13) no idea :(
    I never make misteaks mistrakes misyales errurs — oh, sod it.
  • edited April 2007
    1. it was the complexity of playing the platform style game that gave it appeal, along with its lively graphics
    2. Despite arguments about [...] whether **** was merely an Atic Atic with leaves on, the game has caused more praising mail than any other game we can think of this year
    3. The stunning graphics are the first thing to hit you in the eye...
    4. no one could possibly argue that it isn?t loaded with graphics of a very high standard indeed
    5. tremendous comic style graphics, suited to a game set in the roaring twenties when hoods were really hoods, and people were assets to be squeezed
    6. The game appealed to me much more than most of the other wargames due to its higher quality of graphics, large scale and simple controls.
  • edited April 2007
    Of Robert's games:

2. Sabre Wulf.
    5. Mugsy.
    6. Stonkers.

Not sure about the rest though; the comments don't seem terribly specific.
  • edited April 2007
    Chucky Egg

Sabre Wulf

Pyjamarama

Fairlight

Mugsy

Raid Over Moscow
  • edited April 2007
    Matt_B has got three out of six. :)

All six quotes are from the same page, which should help considerably. :D

P.S. I just had to make sure that Stonkers was one of the games. :lol: