Fuse 0.8.0.1 released

edited June 2007 in Emulators
I have just uploaded version 0.8.0.1 of the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator to SourceForge and WoS, where they should become available soon. This is a bug-fix release for 0.8.0 and features:

* Fix IN timings and floating bus behaviour.
* Fix widget UI pokefinder and keyboard help picture.
* Fix crash if fullscreen mode attempted a resolution higher than the native graphics mode could handle.
* Ensure ABS, MIN and PATH_MAX are available where needed.
* Distribute autoload snapshots
* Remove flicker when playing back RZX files with embedded snapshots.
* Remove warnings when building from CVS.

There are also new uploads of the Fuse utilities and libspectrum. Please report any problems or the like.

In other news, if you are interested in Fuse in any way, you are very welcome to join the #fuse channel on the Astrolink network to discuss anything and everything related to Fuse. Hope to see you there :-)
Post edited by Philip Kendall on

Comments

• Philip, is there any plan to make a precompiled package for Fuse? As I said in the other thread, I've had problems to compile Fuse, and a nice package would make things easier :D

And I've noted a problem with the file selector in the SDL version. Even the beta Windows version quits unexpectedly when browsing a directory with a lot of files on it.
  • edited May 2007
    Hern?n wrote: »
    And I've noted a problem with the file selector in the SDL version. Even the beta Windows version quits unexpectedly when browsing a directory with a lot of files on it.

Can you run Fuse under the debugger and send us a backtrace? This doesn't happen on OS X when run on a directory with 15000 files.
  • edited May 2007
    I believe the bug is more to do with long filenames than a large number of files; there's an unchecked strcpy() at widget/filesel.c:167.
  • edited May 2007

Could you send us a copy of a directory listing for a directory that makes Fuse crash?
  • Don't know how to use a debugger, but I've uploaded a directory listing of the crashing folder :D

http://www.speccy.com.ar/fusecrashdir.zip

Just tested it with the new Beta6 for Win32, same problem.
  • zubzub
    edited May 2007
    Just tested it with the new Beta6 for Win32, same problem.

Thanks. I believe we've fixed it, now. I'll release Beta7 later today.

I seem to have credited Arda with finding this bug. If you reported it first, then I am sorry. I think you both reported it at about the same time. :)
    FUSE: the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, also for Windows, OS X and more!
    http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/
  • It doesn't matter who reported first, only matters that is solved now :D

I presume that is should be solved for all SDL-based versions, isn't it?
  • zubzub
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't matter who reported first, only matters that is solved now :D

I presume that is should be solved for all SDL-based versions, isn't it?

Yes, the problem was in the 'Widget' user-interface code, which is also used for the FB, GGI, SVGAlib and Xlib versions.
  • zubzub
    edited May 2007
    zub wrote: »
    Thanks. I believe we've fixed it, now. I'll release Beta7 later today.

Okay, here it is. (It's based on the code in CVS.)
  • Is there any way to download the CVS source code in a tar.gz package?
  • edited May 2007
    Forgive me for the very n00b request I'm about to make. The last time I compiled something I was using Hisoft software on my +2. I would like to install Fuse (I'm using Win XP) but I have no idea where to start. I don't know what to download or how to compile it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Does anyone have a pre-compiled version for Windows?

Thanks.
  • edited May 2007
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Does anyone have a pre-compiled version for Windows?

Look two posts above yours. :lol:
  • edited May 2007
    Thank you. I thought I read all the posts in this thread, but I didn't. :lol:
  • edited May 2007
    Does the team foresee FUSE (Windows version) going down to about the one meg size, or so?

Skarpo
    :-?
  • edited May 2007
    Hi there
    I've just installed XFuse-GTK on Ubuntu 7.04 by following one of the Debian links on the Fuse webpage and clicking on several .deb packages. It all works fine and have tried several of my fav games, which all run Ok.
    My question is, I see the version I have is 0.7.0.11. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 0.8.0.1 ? or is it best to stay with what I've got.
    I'm a noob to Linux/Ubuntu (although v experienced with windoze) so don't feel like compiling sources and stuff yet.
    Thanks for the help.
    MevWeb
  • edited May 2007
    At the moment, there are unfortunately no Debian/Ubuntu packages for 0.8.
  • zubzub
    edited May 2007
    Skarpo wrote: »
    Does the team foresee FUSE (Windows version) going down to about the one meg size, or so?

Skarpo
    :-?

I've already got it down to about 800K without the utilities, and about a meg with. I don't expect it to get much larger, but I'm not making any promises. I will post here when beta 8 is ready for testing (although be warned that large parts of the user interface will be missing).
  • edited May 2007
    zub wrote: »
    I've already got it down to about 800K without the utilities, and about a meg with. I don't expect it to get much larger, but I'm not making any promises. I will post here when beta 8 is ready for testing (although be warned that large parts of the user interface will be missing).

Cool, thanks for the update. I did eventurally DL that 4meg version and I have to say I impressed given that it's a beta. Do miss not being able to use a mouse though :-(

Keep up the hard work!

Skarpo
    :-)
  • edited May 2007
    Do miss not being able to use a mouse though
    Welcome to the Spectrum circa 1983...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • zubzub
    edited May 2007
    Cool, thanks for the update. I did eventurally DL that 4meg version and I have to say I impressed given that it's a beta. Do miss not being able to use a mouse though :-(

Keep up the hard work!

Skarpo
    :-)

Thanks! Here's the new version. I find the popping sound rather irritating — that's probably something we need to fix... but hopefully you'll agree that I should concentrate on making the other half of the user interface not be missing, first. :)

Of course, if you miss not being able to use the mouse, this release would be a big step backwards! ;) (J/K, IKWYM.)

BTW, a word of warning: the eSafe and Fortinet anti-virus programs detect the executables as being 'suspicious'. These seem to be false positives, caused by compressing with UPX.

Edit: BTW, this release is much smaller: only 1.1 MB! 8)
  • zubzub
    edited June 2007
    Fuse/Win32 Beta 9... fixes a few bugs... and you can now resize the Window! Also, I forgot to mention when I released beta 8 ? you can now load files using drag & drop!

BTW, to emulate a machine other than the default (the 48K), you currently need to run Fuse from the command line. For example, "fuse -m 128" from within the Fuse directory will start Fuse with 128K emulation. The machine names are: 16, 48, 128, plus2, plus2a, plus3, pentagon and scorpion. (There is a bug affecting the 2048, 2068 and ts2068 machines.)

There's also the -g option, which allows you to choose a filter. For example, "fuse -g tv2x". Usable filters are: normal, 2x, 2xsai, 3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, dotmatrix, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, paltv, paltv2x, and paltv3x. (The half, halfskip, timex15x and timextv are for the Timex machines, so they can't yet be used.)