Magpie (only just 80s)
Chorten and the Wheelies
Dangermouse
Joe 90
Crossroads (for its crapness)
Why don't you
Watch
Button Moon

Come on lets show the uk had the best 80's programs...
Post edited by Toxitalk on

Comments

• edited June 2007
    You can add Count Duckula to that list as well...

oh and Red Dwarf, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Catchphrase, Bullseye etc... I can go on and on forever!
  • edited June 2007
    Don't forget Stay Lucky. That's another show I used to love. It was very similar to Minder and also starred Dennis Waterman and of course the great Niall Toibín.

Necros.
  • edited June 2007
    button moon was well shonky. who'd in their right mind get into a space rocket made from a fairy liquid bottle piloted by a frigging spoon. i mean come on we know the russians had their proplems getting into space, but id trust a half cut commie cosmonaught to a kitchen utensil anyday.

does anyone remember the episode of why don't you, where they they told you to swim in resevoirs? steal fags/money/booze from your parents? steal hubcaps? start fires? cos thats all i remember doing as a kid.
  • edited June 2007
    mile wrote: »
    button moon was well shonky. who'd in their right mind get into a space rocket made from a fairy liquid bottle piloted by a frigging spoon. i mean come on we know the russians had their proplems getting into space, but id trust a half cut commie cosmonaught to a kitchen utensil anyday.

I was thinking more of the QA at NASA:lol:
  • edited June 2007
    Runaround
    Razzmataz
    Crackerjack
    The old grey whistle test
    blockbusters (my be 90's)
    Saturday swapshop
    Captain Pugwash
    Mr Ben
    Trumpton
    Jamie and the Magic Torch
  • edited June 2007
    There can be only one: Knightmare.
  • edited June 2007
    The adventure game
  • edited June 2007
    Wasn't there a series about a vet's practice (not All Creatures Great And Small)? I have vague memories of watching it in the 80s. It may have been Australian though, I'm not sure. What was it called?

Necros.
  • edited June 2007
    NickH wrote: »

id have given my left nut to be on that show.
  • edited June 2007
    The Crystal Maze. Now that was an awesome show, especially in the Richard O'Brien years. He was a nutter. :)

Necros.
  • edited June 2007
    Necros wrote: »
    The Crystal Maze. Now that was an awesome show, especially in the Richard O'Brien years. He was a nutter. :)

Necros.

I watched a repeat of this recently on a digital channel (ftn, I think). It really was rather good. O'Brien was what made the whole thing work more than anything - the asides to camera, the "backstory" stuff where his "mumsy" lived in the Medieval Zone, the way he cackled with wicked glee if someone got locked in. Marvellous stuff. Didn't Ed Tudor Pole only last one series as his replacement?
  • edited June 2007

Yes! That was an absolutely groundbreaking show. Extremely impressive SFX for the time and considering it was a kids' gameshow. I'm quite surprised it wasn't reborn into an early-evening slot at some point - I felt its appeal went beyond kids. Although I'm not sure what adults would have made of Treguard's outrageous hamming.
  • edited June 2007
    Wasn't there a series about a vet's practice (not All Creatures Great And Small)? I have vague memories of watching it in the 80s. It may have been Australian though, I'm not sure. What was it called?

Necros.
    A Country Practice.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited June 2007
    karingal wrote: »
    A Country Practice.
    That's the one. Thanks.
  • edited June 2007
    Zagreb wrote: »
    Yes! That was an absolutely groundbreaking show. Extremely impressive SFX for the time and considering it was a kids' gameshow. I'm quite surprised it wasn't reborn into an early-evening slot at some point - I felt its appeal went beyond kids. Although I'm not sure what adults would have made of Treguard's outrageous hamming.

The makers recently tried doing something like that, but couldn't get a British producer interested in it, so the projects got canned.

Seems a bit redundant these days, though. Back in 1987, computer games were nothing like what Knightmare had to offer, so Knightmare blew people's socks off at the time.

Nowadays computer games have close-to-photo-realistic graphics and complex, involved gameplay. A 21st-century Knightmare just cannot compete with what computer games have to offer.
  • edited June 2007
    The makers recently tried doing something like that, but couldn't get a British producer interested in it, so the projects got canned.

Seems a bit redundant these days, though. Back in 1987, computer games were nothing like what Knightmare had to offer, so Knightmare blew people's socks off at the time.

Nowadays computer games have close-to-photo-realistic graphics and complex, involved gameplay. A 21st-century Knightmare just cannot compete with what computer games have to offer.

what was that VR game show craig charles did?

what ever happened to VR, tomorows world promised that we'd all be living in virtual reality now. or at least have a VR machine at home. lying bastwarts.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm just reminded of some other British quiz shows I used to love back in the 80s - Catchphrase and Treasure Hunt.

We didn't have the British channels back then but my aunt and uncle did and I always made a point of watching Catchphrase when we used to visit them on a Sunday. I remember being really impressed with the computer graphics in the show. :)

Necros.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm just reminded of some other British quiz shows I used to love back in the 80s - Catchphrase and Treasure Hunt.

We didn't have the British channels back then but my aunt and uncle did and I always made a point of watching Catchphrase when we used to visit them on a Sunday. I remember being really impressed with the computer graphics in the show. :)

Necros.

say what you see
    say what you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE
  • edited June 2007
    what was that VR game show craig charles did?

what ever happened to VR, tomorows world promised that we'd all be living in virtual reality now. or at least have a VR machine at home. lying bastwarts.

The Craig Charles show was "Cyberzone". I was actually going to mention it before in relation to "Knightmare". I can't recall much about it, but I think I remember it only lasting one series. It was broadcast in the BBC2 6pm "young adults" slot, iirc.

As for VR. I seem to recall the reason it never took off is that too many people were complaining of motion sickness and other maladies caused by using it for any longish period of time. Manufacturers decided it wouldn't take-off and it became one of those "next big thing" creations that didn't go anywhere. Its biggest legacy is probably making a whole lot of early-mid nineties TV and film look incredibly dated.
  • edited June 2007
    say what you see
    say what you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE

"That's good.... very good... but it's not right. Necros, you're back in play."
  • edited June 2007
    The BBC had a VR style show called The Adventure Game (I think)

It features a plant on a stand and the end game was the think I am talking about 'The Vortex'

Anyone else remember said show...
  • edited June 2007

Necros.
    The amiga was responsible for the graphics on for Knightmare, Catchphrase and of course the piolt for Babylon 5...
  • edited June 2007
    Toxitalk wrote: »
    The BBC had a VR style show called The Adventure Game (I think)

It features a plant on a stand and the end game was the think I am talking about 'The Vortex'

Anyone else remember said show...

yeah the plant was an aspidistra, i remember trying descibe the show to someone while we were both on ketamine, it took me about 15 mins to say aspidistra.
  • edited June 2007
    yeah the plant was an aspidistra, i remember trying descibe the show to someone while we were both on ketamine, it took me about 15 mins to say aspidistra.

Do you remember the BBC micro they showed sometimes? The contestants had to find they way round a version of 3D monster maze.:smile:
  • edited June 2007
    Do you remember the BBC micro they showed sometimes? The contestants had to find they way round a version of 3D monster maze.:smile:

i only have vauge memories of it. i only brought it up to that mate as we though there was a plant looking at us suspiciously.

i remember the aspidistra and the grid people have to navigate in a certain way. oh and some sort of disks they may have collected.
  • edited June 2007
    i only have vauge memories of it. i only brought it up to that mate as we though there was a plant looking at us suspiciously.

i remember the aspidistra and the grid people have to navigate in a certain way. oh and some sort of disks they may have collected.

The disks were currency the contestants had to win by playing the games (I think), the aim of the vortex game was to get from side to the other with out getting caught.

You tube vid below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bC0aUPcnE
  • edited June 2007
    The amiga was responsible for the graphics on for Knightmare

Whoa-ho-ho! The Amiga was only responsible for a couple of overlays (e.g. the Quest Status Bar).
  • edited June 2007
    Whoa-ho-ho! The Amiga was only responsible for a couple of overlays (e.g. the Quest Status Bar).

That what the mags were saying at the time, looks like you cant trust anything you read...:lol:
  • edited June 2007
    That what the mags were saying at the time, looks like you cant trust anything you read...:lol:

Hrm, must be Amiga mags, because there's the small matter of the Spaceward computer...
  • edited June 2007
    80's TV

Don't forget:
    Cities of Gold
    Ulyses 31
    Dog Tanian and the muskerfuckwitts
    Around the world with Willy Fogg
    Jayce and the wheeled warriors
    Transformers
    Battle of the planets
    Speedracer
    Pole position
    Centurions
    Voltron
    Go-bots
    He-man

More than that I'm sure, hows about the sweeney as well that was pretty sweet (or was that the late 70's?).
    The wall game
    Orm and cheep
    Superted (pretty sure now that him and Spotty were bumming each other though)
    Fantastic Max
    Bananaman

Can't be arsed to think of any more.........
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!