DreamSpec 1.0... so is that it for Speccy emulation on the Dreamcast?

edited January 2003 in Emulators
Damn. It seems pretty sad that DreamSpec for the DC is seemingly done and buried... it's a pretty solid emulator, IMO, that really could've been a true great with just a little more polish.

Still, credit where it's due... if the author (BigBoy) reads this, I'd like to say thanks for giving me the ability to play some of my old Speccy faves on an NTSC TV via my DC. And even if the rest of the world doesn't seem to care about Speccy emulation on the Dreamcast, I most definitely do... :)

And if anyone else happens to be working on a ZX emulator for the 'Cast, speak up and let it be known the world (of Spectrum) over! :D

(Though I admit it is tempting to buy a second Xbox, chip it and use the OpenXDK port of DreamSpec on it...)
Post edited by Jazzbeaux on

Comments

• edited December 2002
    BTW, hi to all, I know I've not been seen round these parts for a bit... good to be back. :)

EDIT: Okay, I picked up a keyboard for my Dreamcast for 'even closer to the real thing' effect, and it's great.

Honest to God, aside from occasional issues with certain games (the other guy warping all over the place in Way Of The Exploding Fist, for example, or lack of sound in some games but not others), the only thing I can think of that I'd really like to see added is 128K (including AY, of course - I'm such a sucker for AY music) support. Everything else (less flickering in the menu, for example) would merely be nitpicking.

Yes, folks, Speccy gaming on an actual TV without fancy PC stuff or modifications to a real Speccy in the USA. It's bloody marvellous.

[ This Message was edited by: Jazzbeaux on 2002-12-09 07:53 ]
  • edited January 2003
    Hmmm

Unfortunately I'm an idiot. I've downloaded the DreamSpec emu with sound but have problems burning it. Please can you help! I have Dreamspec 0.005 which runs fine after burning cd image downloaded but version 1.0 is just a bin file and DiscJuggler does n't recognise it as a cd image. I've tried copying the file onto CD but it does n't recognise it as a valid file ( after using Utopia as it says latest version not self-booting)

Any help would be appreciated even though I know I'm just being very dim

Dave Beer
  • edited January 2003
    On 2003-01-12 01:51, dave_beer_uk wrote:
    but version 1.0 is just a bin file and DiscJuggler does n't recognise it as a cd image.

You will be wanting the ready made image then :)

Go here and scroll down the page to DreamSpec

http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_emulators.shtml
  • edited January 2003
    Thank you very much.

I'm in the process of downloading it now.
    Very much looking forward to playing some classics on my TV with sound!

Just need to get a Dreamcast VCD player now

Dave Beer
  • edited January 2003
    On 2003-01-12 21:59, dave_beer_uk wrote:
    Thank you very much.

I'm in the process of downloading it now.
    Very much looking forward to playing some classics on my TV with sound!

Dave Beer
    Someone I know can get you one :)
  • edited January 2003
    On 2003-01-12 21:59, dave_beer_uk wrote:

There's a software VCD player available somewhere on the net. I can't remember the name of it but I used to use it a couple of years ago and the picture quality was reasonable.
  • edited January 2003
    Well I've got Gyp Player ( or whatever it's called) which is okay but you need to burn the image with the VCD each time and cannot simply insert a VCD after loading the player. I've also tried downloading DreamSnes which goes mad and keeps rebooting continuously.

Back on topic though and I have to say DreamSpec is great - playing Manic Miner on a TV as it should be played.Next purchase will have to be a Dreamcast keyboard.
  • edited January 2003
    On 2003-01-14 17:30, dave_beer_uk wrote:
    Back on topic though and I have to say DreamSpec is great - playing Manic Miner on a TV as it should be played.Next purchase will have to be a Dreamcast keyboard.
    I must download it then. :)
    But it probably won't work. :(
    Anyway, if anyone's interested I have an old Dreamcast Keyboard in my cupboard. I'll probably won't need it. So i'll swop for a copy of Super Mario World :)