Fuse 0.5.1 and libspectrum 0.1.0 released

edited December 2002 in Emulators
Version 0.5.1 of Fuse, the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, is now available from its homepage, http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/spectrum/fuse.html and probably from WoS after Martijn is his normal efficient self.

The main change in this version is the separation of Fuse's file format handling code into its own separate library, libspectrum, which is available from http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/spectrum/libspectrum.html . Hopefully, this will be of use to other emulator and utility authors.

Also, the utilities previously packaged with Fuse are now separate, and there a few fairly minor functionality improvements to Fuse, as well as some bug fixes.

Comments here, on css, directly to me, wherever you feel like really.
Post edited by Philip Kendall on

Comments

• edited December 2002
    Philip, your emulator is very good, and definately getting better and better as you release new versions. Gives us unicists a hope... :) I particularly like your effort of making it work under Solaris.

One thing I notice with it, though, is that the graphical interface is not extremely responsive. Could be because the emulation sucks out most of the CPU cycles, I haven't had the time to profile the execution so far.

Another thing, have you considered using ALSA for sound output instead of OSS? I find ALSA to be a much better solution for audio under Linux, but it may not be necessary, really, for beeper emulation. :)

Or, you might even consider the use of SDL for your I/O, which would probably make it easier to per fuse across platforms, but then again, you've done an outstanding work so far, and it might not really be the case to embark on modification which may just make the whole thing slower.

A very good job so far.
  • edited December 2002
    I particularly like your effort of making it work under Solaris.

which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that my work is a Solaris shop :)
    Or, you might even consider the use of SDL for your I/O

centauri:pak21:~/fuse$ ls *sdl*
    fuse_sdl.patch

Will be in the next version :) credit for this one should go to Frederick Meunier.

[ This Message was edited by: Philip Kendall on 2002-12-10 12:49 ]
  • edited December 2002
    On 2002-12-10 12:48, Philip Kendall wrote:
    I particularly like your effort of making it work under Solaris.
    which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that my work is a Solaris shop :)

you *DO*??! Philip, this is off-topic, but I have a Netra server at home that I can't get to boot nor reinstall...Would you mind it if I asked you questions about it, in a different place than WOS, of course? It's a server they were dumping at my department, I saved it from oblivion, but could never get to boot (HW is ok, it's just a conf. problem with the OS).
    centauri:pak21:~/fuse$ ls *sdl*
    fuse_sdl.patch

Will be in the next version :) credit for this one should go to Frederick Meunier.

SDL are a portable way of handling I/O, so that should make it easier to port fuse... I've written 100% linux software and I had it run on Win32 without problems thanks to SDL. And by it you can have platform independent access to video, sound and input. Good choice IMO.
  • edited December 2002
    FUSE use some undocumented extensions of Z80 snapshot format (new hardware models), so where i may find FULL Z80 documentation ?
  • edited December 2002
    You can't, as there isn't one really :( Best starting point is the FAQ, but then there's a few other hardware types that aren't listed there. Erik Kunze put in a claim at one stage for hardware type 11 for xzx's Didaktik emulation, and after that Fuse uses 12 for the +2, 13 for the +2A and 14 for the TC2048. Jonathan Needle had a different proposal for the +2/+2A, but I don't know if he ever implemented that or not.