Help! Need Vesa or glide or whatever help (Carmageddon)

edited September 2007 in Chit chat
Since being forced to run Windows XP instead of Windows 98 a few months ago (new hardware made it necessary), I've spent the odd hour or two here and there getting my old gamed to run OK, and thanks to DOSBox, VDMSound, and advice from people or 'net sites, I've managed to get everything I want running. With one exception.

I can't get Caramageddon (original, DOS) to work. Or rather, I can get it to work fine, using VDMSound, but only in software rendering mode. I can't get it to run in 3dfx mode. Carmageddon was software only, but later a new 3dfx compatable .exe was released (actually two .exes, one for the Voodoo 1, and one for the Voodoo 2, with a greater draw distance). Despite 3dfx being a distant memory, and these .exes not supporting modern standards like OpenGL or DirectX, I could get Carmageddon running great on my P3-700, 8MB S3 Savage card, with Win98 using a freeware Glide wrapper called DGVoodoo, but on this P4-2GHz, 32MB ATI card, Windows XP this makes everything slightly jerky, including the sound.

I found a shareware program called Glidos that's supposed to run Carmageddon on XP and modern 3D cards, but again it runs slower and jerkier than the software mode (software mode runs at full speed on the XP machine, but the under DGVoodoo or GLidos it's slower, whereas on the Win98 machine, both software and DGVoodoo ran at full speed). Anyway, I don't want to use Glidos if possible as to register it you can only register it to run on one PC (which it does by producing a unique ID number of your hardware systems), and I don't agree with that - what happens if (when) I get a new computer, or change graphics cards, or if I want to install it on my second PC? For this reason, I wouldn't buy Bioshock for the PC (Bioshock has a similar, but not as harsh, protection system) even if my PC could run Bioshock.

Anyway, Carmageddon runs in 320x240 mode, but you can run it in 640x480 mode with the command line:

carma -hires

but XP doesn't have the VESA support for this (or my 3D card doesn't, I don't know). Is there anything I can do about this, either to get the proper VESA mode on my PC, or to get Carmageddon to work properly in 3d hardware mode? If not, then fair enough, it still looks good in software mode, and since I still play Speccy games I'm obviously not a graphics-addict, but it does look even better in 3D mode, so if possible I'd love to get it running that way.

Come on, we all love Carmageddon, and it should be played in the 21st Century...
Post edited by ewgf on

Comments

• ZupZup
    edited September 2007
    I remember playing that game using VDMSound AND dgVoodoo under the XP dos prompt, in a 1 Ghz AMD Athlon.

First install VMDSound (and configure the Sound Blaster Settings), then install dgVoodoo and configure it. Latest, install Carmageddon, configure settings, patch it and then execute it.

You may want go to http://vogons.zetafleet.com and search there. The author of Glidos has a forum there, and you can find some threads about Carmageddon.
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • edited September 2007
    Zup wrote: »
    I remember playing that game using VDMSound AND dgVoodoo under the XP dos prompt, in a 1 Ghz AMD Athlon.

First install VMDSound (and configure the Sound Blaster Settings), then install dgVoodoo and configure it. Latest, install Carmageddon, configure settings, patch it and then execute it.

You may want go to http://vogons.zetafleet.com and search there. The author of Glidos has a forum there, and you can find some threads about Carmageddon.

That's what I did, but it doesn't work. Which version of dgVoodoo did you use, and what Carmageddon patch do you mean (I've only used the no-cd crack), please? I've tried both 3dfx .exe files, too (both worked fine under Windows 98, and I used the Voodoo 2 one as it had a better draw distance).

And yes I've been to Vogons (a very good site), it's where I learnt of dgVoodoo, Glidos, etc. I'll give it another look anyway, in case I've missed anything relevant.

I dread to think what compatability for DOS games will be like in Vista :-(
  • edited September 2007
    ewgf wrote: »
    I dread to think what compatability for DOS games will be like in Vista :-(

Thats when Dosbox comes in handy:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
    I'm a 21st Century digital boy, I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys.
  • edited September 2007
    I installed Carmageddon again on my XP machine a couple of months back. There's a Windows .exe (Carma95.exe) and a Dos one. The Windows one works fine with XP, although I'm assuming there wasn't a 3DFX compatible .exe that works for Windows? Bit of a bugger that. Still I think Carmageddon looks fine in 'Hi Res' without any 3D acceleration. It's only an old game so it can be forgiven for it's lack of thrilling graphics.
  • edited September 2007
    Collie wrote: »
    I installed Carmageddon again on my XP machine a couple of months back. There's a Windows .exe (Carma95.exe) and a Dos one. The Windows one works fine with XP, although I'm assuming there wasn't a 3DFX compatible .exe that works for Windows? Bit of a bugger that. Still I think Carmageddon looks fine in 'Hi Res' without any 3D acceleration. It's only an old game so it can be forgiven for it's lack of thrilling graphics.

I'd love to play in hi-res mode, sinceall of my attempts to play in 3dfx mode without jerkiness have failed, whether I run dgVoodoo or Glidos, but I can't; hires only works in the DOS executable, and that just crashes, aparently since my ATI card doesn't emulate the DOS VESA mode :(

Have you gotten the Windows .exe to run in hi-res mode? If so, where did you get that version of the .exe from?
  • edited September 2007
    I got the .exe from the CD, seeing as I own the original game. You not got yourself a sneaky copy from some site or BitTorrent I hope! :P And yes it runs in Hi-Res which is just as well as full-screen VGA graphics on a TFT monitor is a horrible experience.
  • edited September 2007
    Collie wrote: »
    I got the .exe from the CD, seeing as I own the original game. You not got yourself a sneaky copy from some site or BitTorrent I hope! :P And yes it runs in Hi-Res which is just as well as full-screen VGA graphics on a TFT monitor is a horrible experience.

I have the originals of both Carmageddon (bought about 1997 - ten years ago!) and the Splat Pack, but my current Carmageddon directory was a zip/unzip from my old laptop, as I installed Carmageddon and the Splat Pack on there, using the Splat Meld Pack Patch (or whatever it was called), that allows you to have all of the tracks and vehicles of both games in one. I'd also used a no-CD crack, so that I could play it without the CD. I'd copied the Windows .exe files to the directory, in case I ever needed them. But when I finally tried them recently, they didn't work.

Anyway, I've now dug out both CDs, and installed the Windows version of Carmageddon (not the Splat Pack yet, I'm going to have to find the Meld Pack again), and it does work in high resolution mode! It doesn't look as good as 3dfx mode, but it does look a lot better than low resolution mode, so many many thanks for trying. The trouble is, now I have to keep the CD in the laptop, unless I can find a no-cd crack for the Windows .exe, and I'm sure I only ever found a crack for the DOS version. Oh, and now I've got to find the blood patch again (it's zombies only on the new install :evil: ), but that's not going to be hard, and I think it's on the Splat Pack CD anyway.

Do you have a no-cd crack for the Windows .exe, please?

Thanks again for your info on the game.

I wish SCI would release the source code for the game, though, as then someone could compile a native Windows 3D version, as has been done with Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, and others.
  • edited September 2007
    ewgf wrote: »
    I have the originals of both Carmageddon (bought about 1997 - ten years ago!) and the Splat Pack, but my current Carmageddon directory was a zip/unzip from my old laptop, as I installed Carmageddon and the Splat Pack on there, using the Splat Meld Pack Patch (or whatever it was called), that allows you to have all of the tracks and vehicles of both games in one. I'd also used a no-CD crack, so that I could play it without the CD. I'd copied the Windows .exe files to the directory, in case I ever needed them. But when I finally tried them recently, they didn't work.

Anyway, I've now dug out both CDs, and installed the Windows version of Carmageddon (not the Splat Pack yet, I'm going to have to find the Meld Pack again), and it does work in high resolution mode! It doesn't look as good as 3dfx mode, but it does look a lot better than low resolution mode, so many many thanks for trying. The trouble is, now I have to keep the CD in the laptop, unless I can find a no-cd crack for the Windows .exe, and I'm sure I only ever found a crack for the DOS version. Oh, and now I've got to find the blood patch again (it's zombies only on the new install :evil: ), but that's not going to be hard, and I think it's on the Splat Pack CD anyway.

Do you have a no-cd crack for the Windows .exe, please?

Thanks again for your info on the game.

I wish SCI would release the source code for the game, though, as then someone could compile a native Windows 3D version, as has been done with Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, and others.
    if you can't find no cd patches etc, and you've got plenty of spare disk space, download alcohol and use that, it creates a virtual drive, and you make an ISO of your cd and then you can just mount it with two clicks
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited September 2007
    By mount he doesn't mean actually physically mount your PC. I did that once when drunk and got my nob stuck when the CD drive closed on me. Fortunately I've learnt my lesson. It's no fun having to aim in the opposite direction you're facing just to piss I can tell you.

Anyway, you might as well make a copy of the CDs as Guesser suggested and mount the disk image to your hard drive. You'll only require an extra gig or so of HD space at the most. Which is a bit tricky if your hard drive is full of pirated tv shows and filth but there you go.

Good luck if you can find find a solution to the 3DFX mode though. I don't even have the Splat pack so I'm still running over green zombies. Fortunately the ones I mow over in the Tesco supermarket car park spray the standard red blood so I'm happy.

PS: I know you can get blood patches for the game even without the add-on but I really don't care!
  • edited September 2007
    I just do it cause I'm too lazy to reach up to the cd rack 3 feet away.
    Oh and my pc has a door on the front too that I can't be bothered to open :)
    and with 140 odd gigs still free on my windows hard drive I can afford to rip a few more cd roms to my hard drive to be lazy yet :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.