Best and worst arcade conversions

edited November 2007 in Games
Said in a last thread:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18335

A lot of Spectrum games were converted from arcade coin-op machines(Spy Hunter, for example).

Which dou you think is the best conversion? and the worst?

For me, the worst was Kung-Fu master; there were a great difference between the superb arcade (10/10) and the spectrum conversion :-x

The best, possibly Green Beret; it has the best graphics and scrolling a Spectrum game can display.

Others good: Spy Hunter, Tapper, ...
Post edited by JuanF. Ramirez on

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Worst - Street Fighter 2

Terrible, terrible game.

Best - too many to mention, although Gauntlet, 1943, Commando, Bomb Jack, Paperboy immediately spring to mind.

Necros.
  • edited November 2007
    tiger road was a sheeit conversion, i loved that on arcade and nearly got angry when i bought the game for the speccy.

i thought robocop was a pretty decent conversion.
  • edited November 2007
    mile wrote: »
    i thought robocop was a pretty decent conversion.

You mean the arcade game was a pretty good conversion from the spec version, seeing as the computer game came first :P
  • edited November 2007
    Without sounding like a geek wasnt Robocop one of the games which was first released on computers then as an arcade game ? (Geek mode over !)

Best: Most of the Elite ones - Commando, Bombjack, Paperboy, Space Harrier was ambitious and pretty good, Midnight Resistance is superb. Afterburner and Operation Wolf i thought were pretty good conversions.

Worst: Nemesis, Jackal, Jailbreak, Kung Fu Master, Tanks (That Ocean one). Breakthru was disappointing big time.

1942 could have been so much better, 1943 was good but lacked colour

I LOVE arcade conversions on the Speccy and play those most of the time. Cant remember the name of this game - Was from Ocean i thought. Great arcade conversion of a not so famous arcade one. You were on a 'chessboard' type of thing and you had to knock the enemies off the side. That was a very good game and a good conversion.
  • edited November 2007
    some well known good ones for you

R Type
    Renegade
    Bubble Bobble
    Rainbow Islands
    Flying Shark
    Arkanoid
  • edited November 2007
    turtles was good
  • edited November 2007
    Good shout by Jumping Jack. Totally agree with those, cant believe i left off Flying Shark and R-Type. Two great games. Completed Flying Shark back in the day, some excellent levels on that game later. Just wish 1942/43 were more like that
  • edited November 2007
    psj3809 wrote: »
    Cant remember the name of this game - Was from Ocean i thought. Great arcade conversion of a not so famous arcade one. You were on a 'chessboard' type of thing and you had to knock the enemies off the side. That was a very good game and a good conversion.

Sounds like motos.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah thats the one ! Cheers. Think thats an excellent polished game, never played it on MAME previously but obviously enjoy playing it now and of course the Speccy conversion.

Always enjoyed Metro Cross as well, bit of a different type of game, decent gameplay and a lot of fun.
  • edited November 2007
    Ghost's and Goblins was my personal fave
  • edited November 2007
    You mean the arcade game was a pretty good conversion from the spec version, seeing as the computer game came first :P

Damn, you beat me to it! It drives me mad when people assume that the speccy version was the conversion.
  • edited November 2007
    Damn, you beat me to it! It drives me mad when people assume that the speccy version was the conversion.

To be fair it is 99% of the time though.

Ghost n Goblins was a great conversion but way way too hard though ? Ghouls n Ghosts was a good sequel, again pretty tough but pretty good.

Used to play Ghosts n Goblins tons back in the day and still like to have a blast of it now but cant ever get past level 2 !
  • edited November 2007
    Moon Cresta.
  • edited November 2007
    Sounds like motos.

Motos was great and was the one and only games I discovered an infinite lives poke for all by myself.

I'm ashamed to admit it but it was a fluke, It was something like this:

"Right, if the game has 3 lives then if I look at the memory locations in decimal then if any memory location contains 3 then that could be where the lives are stored"

I know, I'm sorry!

Anyway............Green Beret for me.
  • edited November 2007
    Motos was great and was the one and only games I discovered an infinite lives poke for all by myself.

I'm ashamed to admit it but it was a fluke, It was something like this:

"Right, if the game has 3 lives then if I look at the memory locations in decimal then if any memory location contains 3 then that could be where the lives are stored"

I know, I'm sorry!

Anyway............Green Beret for me.
    The only game that I discovered a cheat for myself was Gryzor. It didn't involve POKEs though (I didn't have a Multiface or any experience with hacking) but I did discover it by accident. 8)

Speaking of which, Gryzor is another fantastic game. I spent hours playing it back then. I never played the arcade version though so I have no idea how it compares.

Necros.
  • edited November 2007
    Hyper sports - superb conversion.
  • JmkJmk
    edited November 2007
    Tough choice for the worst... Nemesis, Salamander, Pac-Land, Road Runner...

I'll go for Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom - I paid full price for that and I remember the disappointment!

For the best... honourable mentions to Bionic Commando and Gauntlet.

But I'll go for Bombjack.
  • edited November 2007
    Best? Chase HQ. About as arcade-like you can make a driving game on the Speccy. Even has some of the speech from the arcade machine.

Worst is probably the previously mentioned Kung Fu Master. I don't think the original is that great, but the Spectrum version is atrocious.
  • edited November 2007
    I'd have to go with Green Beret for best conversion. The conversion was so good that when I played the arcade version on real hardware I was an instant expert -- all the tricks I used to play the Spectrum version also worked on the arcade.

R-Type is a fantastic conversion too but its gameplay is different from the arcade. I don't know if it's because I played the Spectrum version first or not but I actually find the Spectrum version more fun to play.

And then there are the strong contenders... Hypersports, Flying Shark, Bombjack, etc.

As for worst, there were a fair share of truly crap conversions. I don't even like to think about them they were so disappointing. People have expectations with arcade conversions and I prefer they would have just not published rather than release some truly disappointing crap.
  • edited November 2007
    Best: R-Type, and Chase HQ

Worst: E Swat (48k) although the 128k version was also diabolical.
  • edited November 2007
    Definitely "Flying Shark". It looks a bit bobbins with all that yellow-and-black but it plays as well as the arcade version (if not slightly better).

I'll also give a nod to "Metrocross" which is converted very well. And "Chase HQ", of course.

As for worst conversion... I can't really think of any off-hand. There were some stinkers but none really spring to mind.
  • edited November 2007
    Green Beret for me too! (Have I mentioned that I like this game?) :)

Second place would be Flying Shark.
  • edited November 2007
    Tapper. Can't believe I forgot that one. :)

Necros.
  • edited November 2007
    I never played the original arcade versions of most of them, if not all of them, so I can't tell which one is the better conversion, which one is more similar to the original game.

But Commando is one of the best games taken from a coin op, anyway.