Eutrogamer - Best Speccy Arcade conversions

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Very little to disagree with in that selection. I thought they were going to forget Flying Shark but they had it in there. There are a couple I haven't played and so can't really comment on but it seemed like a really good choice overall.
  • edited November 2007
    Great video to watch. Makes you appreciate most of those Speccy conversions even more.

Still cant get into 1942 though, i so want to like it but i'm just not a fan of that Speccy one. Star Wars by Domark was pretty poor, 3d Starstrike i thought played so much better but i know it wasnt the official version.
  • edited December 2007
    ooer... good job I checked. I once did a site based on all this but never uploaded it properly.

anyway, I'm running a proper site now and decided to do a feature on this also.

site = www.peoww.co.uk

feature = http://www.peoww.co.uk/features/bih.html
  • edited December 2007
    It's fantastic that you have taken the trouble to match the conversion screen shots with the arcade originals. Wonderful stuff! You didn't need to do it. But you did it anyway. Wonderful.
  • edited December 2007
    Yeah i thought that was very good on the Rengade one.

Nice little article !
  • edited December 2007
    thanks chaps!

keep an eye on the site cos whilst it's multi-format I'm clearly Speccy-biased.
  • edited December 2007
    Nice work there Bluce! I liked the rest of the stuff on your site as well, esp the reviews since I've recently purchased a xbox360 myself. Keep 'em coming!
  • edited December 2007
    I love lists ! You often find a game you never really have given a chance to before, mentioned it a 1000 times before but the list at the Rubber Beermat is superb, looking forward to his 2007 one...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/themanor33/TRBv2/trbt100/trbtop100-index.htm

And yes Joffa before you say it its shameful Cobras not in the top 100 ! Should be top 20 !
  • edited December 2007
    Thanks. I think! But Cobra is a pooh game! A programming exercise and nothing else! Although there is a bit at the end of level 3 which takes the p*ss out of end of level baddies! The baddie being tiny and easy to beat! And the code is bugged too!
  • edited December 2007
    Bah. I prefer Cobra over Green Beret.
  • edited December 2007
    Arjun wrote: »
    Nice work there Bluce! I liked the rest of the stuff on your site as well, esp the reviews since I've recently purchased a xbox360 myself. Keep 'em coming!

cheers buddy,

if you check out the 1st thing at the bottom of the features page, that's pretty heavily speccy-based also.
  • edited December 2007
    I've kept an eye on the Eurogamer retro stuff; seems fairly decent stuff. Midnight Resistance, Pang, Chase HQ - all corking Speccy conversions. Like psj3809, I also like lists ..
    psj3809 wrote: »
    I love lists ! You often find a game you never really have given a chance to before, mentioned it a 1000 times before but the list at the Rubber Beermat is superb, looking forward to his 2007 one...

Glad you like it - it is something I enjoy compiling. I produce the top 100 every other year .. which means I'll getting one ready for 2008 (around the summer). I'm also planning on doing a TRB Awards top 25; kind of like a 'worst crap game' listing.

and now back to your scheduled thread topic ...
  • edited December 2007
    DOUBLE DRAGON!!!

*Gets Coat*
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2007
    michaelf wrote: »
    Glad you like it - it is something I enjoy compiling. I produce the top 100 every other year .. which means I'll getting one ready for 2008 (around the summer). I'm also planning on doing a TRB Awards top 25; kind of like a 'worst crap game' listing.

Yep always been a fan of your top 100. As i said discovered a few games on there which i never gave time to before. Still think Nemesis appearing on the list is a bit of a surprise ;)

Frobrush - Always loved Cobra, played it tons back in the day, was so good i bought the original ! Surprised the 'sequel' wasnt more popular though, forget the name of it but it was basically Cobra with new graphics wasnt it ;)
  • edited December 2007
    Tapper ?

Great video - Its great to see both together, to compare.
  • edited December 2007
    psj3809 wrote: »
    Frobrush - Always loved Cobra, played it tons back in the day, was so good i bought the original ! Surprised the 'sequel' wasnt more popular though, forget the name of it but it was basically Cobra with new graphics wasnt it ;)

?

If you mean Hysteria then that game owes more to Green Beret than Cobra, though I think the little guy resembles Stallone quite a bit (it probably is the same graphic with a new head stuck on! Well, I was rushed!). The game was a straight conversion from the Commodore 64 and I had no involvement with the actual design.
  • edited December 2007
    Cobraman.jpg

Hysteria.jpg

No. They are different. Just!

I just love Stallone's tank-top! The mark of a 'real' man!
  • edited December 2007
    You know you REALLY should have put a bonus level in Cobra where you had to cut a pizza with scissors and eat it within' a certain amount of time :D

EDIT: Or would that have been too close to the movie :p
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2007
    You know you REALLY should have put a bonus level in Cobra where you had to cut a pizza with scissors and eat it within' a certain amount of time :D

EDIT: Or would that have been too close to the movie :p

Yeah. That would have been great! It could have been a pac-man too! Ever greater! Stallone's character was named after John 'Marian' Wayne. The big girl's blouse! Wayne told Speilberg to not mess with war and make it funny after Steven's 1942. He was right! The film bombed!
  • edited December 2007
    frobush wrote: »
    I think! But Cobra is a pooh game! A programming exercise and nothing else!
    Absolute heresy! Cobra is still quite a playable little arcade game. It just needs a few more levels and some more varied enemies.
  • edited December 2007
    bcass wrote: »
    Absolute heresy! Cobra is still quite a playable little arcade game. It just needs a few more levels and some more varied enemies.

So. All that it needs to be, to be a better game, is to make it a better game! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Obvious in hindsight isn't it! Now, if I just had as few more seconds of development time! But hey! The mags are out tomorrow and unless I'm in Birmingham by 2am to make a master and get the game in the shops by sunrise the company will have to re-advertise, look bad, and start losing money!

"Finish it! As long as it doesn't crash we will go with it!"
  • edited December 2007
    Nah, I meant in the context of modern-day (or post-48K, to fit extra stuff in). I think back then it was all one could have expected from a Speccy game. Better than Green Beret IMO. It's one of the few Spectrum games I still find fun to play today.
  • edited December 2007
    To go back on topic for a minute - 1942 instead of WEC Le Mans or Midnight Resistance? For shame...
  • edited December 2007
    Or Enduro Racer.
  • edited December 2007
    No doubt Cobra is great game and Green Beret is even better. But speaking about arcade conversions i will rather focus on R-TYPE, Bubble Bobble or some of Galaxians clones.