A bit of a ropey question

edited October 2008 in Chit chat
Right I'm not really sure how to start this one off.

So I'll just go for it!

Does anybody know of a "safe" keylogging software?

I know it sounds bad but I have my reasons.

By safe I obviously mean a program that is not going to basically open up the computer to all kinds of "righteous" hacker types. I don't want to have to use an e-mail address to use this software.

Right here it is, for months my wife has been accusing me of breaking her computer, and it's starting to grind on me something rotten. Now I know which sites both me and her visit, but the computer runs slow, I mean like shit, and I scan it almost every day to find tons of Malware, adware, and gooorrrd knows what other crap on there.

Now my wife spends almost all day away from the computer anyway, and the only reason I've been spending so much time in front of it these last couple of weeks is cos' I'm between jobs. But I keep finding cookies to sites I know for a fact me and her have not visited, also along with all the "Get a date", "win an XBOX360" type shite and it's really starting to get on my tits, so to speak.

Basically I did a good 3 hours trawl of the computers hidden files and cacheing tonight and I didn't like what I found.

My wife has a HUGE family who come and go from our address as they please usually, basically there isn't always somebody near the computer. I hate pointing the finger but I suspect my sister in laws friends or sadly my wifes stepdad (he's a redneck and he loves to visit stupid sites with women and guns and things like that). But after all these finds I suspect that it is a 3rd party who is ruining the wifes computer (cos' I'm fuckin' sure it isn't me).

Basically I want to keylog when I'm away from the computer during the day and the wife is at work. But I have no idea what to do because I always combine the word keylogging with alarm bells basically.

I'm sick though, so I want to spy on who uses the computer when me and the wife aren't there, hopefully they are dumb enough to use their real names in their log-ins or whatever.

I apologise for raising a bad subject

Martijn or Foggy if you find this post unacceptable due to it's ethics or content feel free to lock or delete it.

But I'm really at the end of my tether here :(
Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!

Comments

• edited December 2007
    Just Google there's plenty of software out there, then check out your torrent sites for the freebies, Just don't use a web cam to catch 'em at it you never know what else you'll see. :o
  • edited December 2007
    Have you done a search on the net ? Sure theres some software out there but when i worked at an Internet Security company they used to show us this device, looks like a small matchbox with a USB port. Basically you attach that to the back of the computer, then plug the keyboard into it and it'll log every key.

Searching for keylogger brings up a fair few...

http://www.waresight.com/

40 dollars but seems worth it, install it and i presume it runs on startup in the background.

http://www.keylogger.co.uk/

Looks similar , 60 dollars.

Its worth doing as it sounds like someones looking at some freaky stuff perhaps if theres tons of these ads and other stuff clogging up your system. Easy question i know but what does the internet temp files say ? You've seen the cookies but arent there lots of dodgy jpgs/gifs in your temp directory ? Seriously you want to be careful, if anything is doing anything dodgy then i'm sure you'll get the blame as its your computer.
  • edited December 2007
    Hope you've not got any personal stuff on the computer, if you let folks on it, when your not there. Can't you lock the computer down at all to prevent acces ?
  • edited December 2007
    Also on a 'similar-ish' type of issue. On my website i can see what IP addresses have come to my site and what pages they are looking at which is interesting. When a certain page isnt linked to the menu (eg a specific page for a customer) i know obviously its that customer looking at that page (as no one else has the link).

But say i have a page on a service i sell and people have been looking at it, is there anyway of converting say the ip address to an actual domain name, eg could i enter someones ip address of 17.16.14.200 who has looked at a page on my site and see it as @potentialcustomer.com

So basically i see some new customer is looking at a certain page of my site a lot ?
  • edited December 2007
    psj3809 wrote: »
    Also on a 'similar-ish' type of issue. On my website i can see what IP addresses have come to my site and what pages they are looking at which is interesting. When a certain page isnt linked to the menu (eg a specific page for a customer) i know obviously its that customer looking at that page (as no one else has the link).

But say i have a page on a service i sell and people have been looking at it, is there anyway of converting say the ip address to an actual domain name, eg could i enter someones ip address of 17.16.14.200 who has looked at a page on my site and see it as @potentialcustomer.com

So basically i see some new customer is looking at a certain page of my site a lot ?

only if it's a corporate person using a work computer that the IP will resolve to that customer.
    most of the time if it's not you just find out what ISP the person looking at it is using.
    try whois.domaintools.com
    for example it tells me that potentialcustomer.com in this case is Apple Computer, Inc.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited December 2007
    Cheers thats great. My fault really, not too sure about IP addresses. Always used to use www.samspade.net for web domains and who owns them but didnt realise you could do that with IP addresses.

Thanks
  • edited December 2007
    do what my GF does when she catches me using her computer, smack them over the head with a pan then send them to bed with no supper. they will learn there lesson, beware there may be a wisk of drain bamage. :-?
  • edited December 2007
    Why not attach a web camera to your computer and record a small image every minute or so. With that and the keylogger you will be able to spot who is doing what.

However, I'm not sure what applications will allow you to time lapse record from your webcam in a way the user is un-aware of. I'm sure there is such a program. Google if your friend.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited December 2007
    Linux isn't the answer. Linux is the question. Yes is the answer.

Install Ubuntu, and your spyware problems will go away. With luck, your extended family will be put off using the computer altogether.
  • edited December 2007
    If your using XP, password protect your account and set up a guest account with no priviledges. This will stop stuff being installed.

Its a common problem with XP users - everyone uses admin rights on the accounts instead of setting themselves up properly with limited rights. If you need to install anything, you should log onto the admin account to do it, then log off.

This is a good way to stop people installing limewire and other crap on your machine.
    My test signature
  • edited December 2007
    Scottie_uk wrote: »
    Why not attach a web camera to your computer and record a small image every minute or so. With that and the keylogger you will be able to spot who is doing what.

However, I'm not sure what applications will allow you to time lapse record from your webcam in a way the user is un-aware of. I'm sure there is such a program. Google if your friend.

I'm not sure uncle titus making out to his five finger lover will be required viewing.
  • edited December 2007
    If you must run XP - then wipe it and re-install.

Then do as foggy says and lock it down.

There is a piece of software available, cost's about $20 wich gives you fine grained control of what users can actualy do and see http://www.x-setup.net

If you can leave XP then, like Winston says, give ubuntu a punt - you won't regret it froma security standpoint.
  • edited December 2007
    Put up a sticky note on the side of the monitor saying something to this effect:

"Users of this computer, please stop looking at inappropriate sites as it's becoming infested with all sorts of malicious software which impairs its function."

Then perhaps add towards the bottom this signature: "-Big Brother"

That might keep people at bay.

If you go the "admin vs. limited users" you will be able to prove to your GF that it's not you causing the issues. But maybe you have nothing to prove, as perhaps your GF doesn't even want to discuss the matter in regards to her family. Sometimes it's very hard to get others to understand that it might be others outside the house which are causing issues with computers.

Good luck and such.
  • edited December 2007
    Skarpo wrote: »
    Sometimes it's very hard to get others to understand that it might be others outside the house which are causing issues with computers.

It is!

I keep telling people that there's something fishy about that ice cream van with a satellite dish that's been parked outside for two months, and I'm SURE it has something to do with all the weird things happening to my PC, but everyone says I'm a nutcase!

;-)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited December 2007
    best thing to do is contact Miles's girlfriend. You just know she has a keylogger on his computer :lol:
  • edited December 2007
    I really just wanted a keylogger cos' I wanna know what whoever it is doing this is typing, I certainly do not want webcam pics taken, especially if there is some kind of self abuse going on. I'd rather not know about it.

Another reason I asked really is cos' I've done the obvious and just searched for something like this and I seem to just get warez sites and I don't altogether trust anything you get from those.

Anyway I would have this computer set up nicely, but it's my wifes, and she doesn't trust me installing, or removing anything, or twiddling the settings. If I had my own way I'd remove about 2/3 of her programs so much idle crap on here, an expired Norton which keeps popping up and telling me to renew it (my wife won't let me uninstall it), and several mountains of Dells "Look at me" type software (and yes Foggy I found a limewire icon on here last night when I went digging it looks like it's been installed intentionally).

On the idea of me getting blamed for anything weird on there. Nah! It's my wifes computer, my name isn't on anything on there.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2007
    Get another hard drive and some cradle racks and place a drive in each.
    Install fresh OS on your drive and set it up for your requirements.
    When you leave the computer remove your drive and put the other drive
    in and let her/the family mess it up.

Make sure that the cradle has a keylock to stop it being removed without your permission.

Buy atleast three of them, keep one as a spare and don`t bin the spare outer mounts.

This is what you`re after...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-HDD-Mobile-Rom-Mount-Rack-With-Key-Lock-for-PC_W0QQitemZ270187655027QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16145QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
  • edited December 2007
    MatGubbins wrote: »
    Get another hard drive and some cradle racks and place a drive in each.
    Install fresh OS on your drive and set it up for your requirements.
    When you leave the computer remove your drive and put the other drive
    in and let her/the family mess it up.

Make sure that the cradle has a keylock to stop it being removed without your permission.

Buy atleast three of them, keep one as a spare and don`t bin the spare outer mounts.

This is what you`re after...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-HDD-Mobile-Rom-Mount-Rack-With-Key-Lock-for-PC_W0QQitemZ270187655027QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16145QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

That is actually a really good idea I may look into it. But I still wanna nab who's buggering up the wifes computer, of course with my own drive installed with my own OS on it. I would probably no longer care (or need to care for that matter). Although I could be mean and just put a keylogger on there to spy on everyone, weither they're up to mischief or not :D
  • edited December 2007
    My wifes computer has just slapped me with the final insult!

Norton has just told me that:

iexplore.exe is attempting to access "The Internet" (literally).

[Allow?] (recommended)?

What the fuck has windoze come to?

For fucks sake god forbid internet explorer explores the internet

heap of shit :lol:
  • edited September 2008
    I have a new dilemma, quite an interesting one too, whilst curiously browsing Spygadgets.com (they have an actual store about half an hour away from where I live), I discovered that even though this is the first time I have ever visited that site, the Spy camera detector link was highlighted purple as in somebody has already looked at it?

So somebody has been on that site within the last 5 days (the last time I cleared the chche out basically)

Now who where I live and who has used this computer could possibly be worried that someone is watching them?
  • edited September 2008
    I have a new dilemma, quite an interesting one too, whilst curiously browsing Spygadgets.com (they have an actual store about half an hour away from where I live), I discovered that even though this is the first time I have ever visited that site, the Spy camera detector link was highlighted purple as in somebody has already looked at it?

So somebody has been on that site within the last 5 days (the last time I cleared the chche out basically)

Now who where I live and who has used this computer could possibly be worried that someone is watching them?

ive looked at those sites too, i clicked on the spy camera detector and the bug detector to see what they actually did, out of curiosity.

I think the only paranoid person in your household is you. :wink:
  • edited September 2008
    mile wrote: »
    ive looked at those sites too, i clicked on the spy camera detector and the bug detector to see what they actually did, out of curiosity.

I think the only paranoid person in your household is you. :wink:

With good reason, but I'm not talking about it on WOS :(
  • edited September 2008
    With good reason, but I'm not talking about it on WOS :(

maybe you should tie them all to the couch like in 'the thing' and start asking questions. :razz:
  • edited September 2008

I believe you can go to your HISTORY and look at what was accessed on each day.
  • edited September 2008
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    I believe you can go to your HISTORY and look at what was accessed on each day.

I no longer care about what's being accessed on this computer, I care more about who's accessing what in real life if you get what I mean.
  • edited September 2008
    I no longer care about what's being accessed on this computer, I care more about who's accessing what in real life if you get what I mean.

Well ... duuuuuh ... if you check the history then you can see the date and I believe even the timestamp you silly ... from that you might be able to figure out who is/was at home that day/time.
  • edited September 2008
    DM...are you alluding to someone 'accessing' your wife?

As for the computer just enable the Bios bootup password.
  • edited September 2008
    edit your hosts file to send people who are attempting to see those pages to goatse or something similar (I'm sure you have your favourite) if after a week or so if nobody has mentioned anything odd mention quietly to each user that you think you might have a virus because when you attempted to get the latest sports news from home you got a picture of a bloke doing odd things to his arse :)

Who ever says it happened to them is a liar one way or another.
  • edited September 2008
    beanz wrote: »
    DM...are you alluding to someone 'accessing' your wife?

As for the computer just enable the Bios bootup password.

Will that work on a laptop, that does not have anything to do with the computer I'm using namely her laptop. Ever since I kicked off with her about her "internet activity" a while ago she uses a laptop, which funnily enough is passworded so I can't access it. It has a little blue screen with a goldfish that taunts me!!!!
  • edited September 2008
    sparkes wrote: »
    edit your hosts file to send people who are attempting to see those pages to goatse or something similar (I'm sure you have your favourite) if after a week or so if nobody has mentioned anything odd mention quietly to each user that you think you might have a virus because when you attempted to get the latest sports news from home you got a picture of a bloke doing odd things to his arse :)

Who ever says it happened to them is a liar one way or another.

I appreciate your attempt to help me Sparkes thank you, but the bumping of this thread means that my paranoia has became a reality and I want evidence. This computer is no longer accessed by any of the people I wanted to suss out back then, and hasn't been for months. This is pretty much my computer now, My wife and her family only use this computer now if they want something printed.

Thanks anyway though, you weren't to know :)