CSSCGC 2008 has now officially begun

edited February 2009 in Games
For coming last in the 2007 crap game compo, I have the honour and
privilege of hosting CSSCGC 2008!

I have now put up the CSSCGC 2008 website at

http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

Submissions are being accepted from today onwards. The deadline is
currently fixed at [strike]31st December 2008[/strike] (extended to 9th Jan 2009 @ 4:47pm GMT), so there's certainly plenty of
time.

Maybe some people were too late for CSSCGC 2007. Well now you can
complete your games and submit them to CSSCGC 2008 instead. May you
have plenty of fun writing your crap games. Multiple submissions are
encouraged.

I look forward to playtesting and reviewing your games with great
anticipation,

Cheers,
DP
Post edited by Digital Prawn on
«13456730

Comments

  • edited January 2008
    Nice! Good looking site too!
  • edited January 2008
    Rickard wrote: »
    Nice! Good looking site too!

    Thanks! I just quickly put it together using notepad in work this afternoon, when no-one was looking (that was very naughty).
  • edited January 2008
    One thing I don't understand and don't agree with is not letting people download the games as and when they are submitted. Waiting a whole year to play a game that you've read about on the site is not just a bummer but a wet blanket on proceedings IMO.

    A couple of years ago when jil hosted the CGC, I quite enjoyed participating with everyone in the buzz of lighthearted leg pulling and bonhomie as entries were played and discussed on the forums. And that buzz was the only reason that inspired me to actually write something crap for CGC that year (I would have won too if jil hadn't buggered the voting process - bless his soul!).

    So how about letting people download the entries, eh? I can't see what harm that can do considering it's a one man jury selection system.
  • edited January 2008
    Arjun wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand and don't agree with is not letting people download the games as and when they are submitted. Waiting a whole year to play a game that you've read about on the site is not just a bummer but a wet blanket on proceedings IMO.

    A couple of years ago when jil hosted the CGC, I quite enjoyed participating with everyone in the buzz of lighthearted leg pulling and bonhomie as entries were played and discussed on the forums. And that buzz was the only reason that inspired me to actually write something crap for CGC that year (I would have won too if jil hadn't buggered the voting process - bless his soul!).

    So how about letting people download the entries, eh? I can't see what harm that can do considering it's a one man jury selection system.

    Yes indeed, I agree with your post, and I have no personal objection to this. I'll happilly allow games to be downloaded as they are submitted.

    I just thought it wasn't traditionally permitted for reasons of copying ideas or code, so it seemed that allowing it would be out of step with all the previous years.

    However now that you have told me that this was permitted in a previous compo, I'm glad to also do this in 2008.

    OK, I will certainly amend the website later this evening to reflect this change,

    Cheers, DP
  • edited January 2008
    Yess I too think we sould be allowed to play the submissions.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited January 2008
    Agreed, I have now amended the CSSCGC 2008 web site accordingly.

    Games will be available for download as soon as I have uploaded them to the site.

    I agree this encourages more people to participate.
  • edited January 2008
    That's generally been the case in the past.

    I was thinking, could we also have a message board for each game so we can comment on them ourselves instead of just having the official review? it would have to be moderated/protected I suppose to stop the spammers over running it - perhaps you could open a thread on here for each game as its submitted? I know this isn't CSS & some folks from there don't come here, maybe there's a better way it could be implemented.

    Also - DP, you may want to spamtrap that email address on the page
    General Malthadius Zoff
    Magenta icon
  • edited January 2008
    Agreed, I have now amended the CSSCGC 2008 web site accordingly.

    Games will be available for download as soon as I have uploaded them to the site.

    Thanks DP. I now look forward to playing some really crappy games this year! :D
  • edited January 2008
    Great site. Even empty it's worth visiting!

    Deffo contribulatoring this year. (Filthy swine.)
  • edited January 2008
    Zoffy wrote: »
    That's generally been the case in the past.

    I was thinking, could we also have a message board for each game so we can comment on them ourselves instead of just having the official review? it would have to be moderated/protected I suppose to stop the spammers over running it - perhaps you could open a thread on here for each game as its submitted? I know this isn't CSS & some folks from there don't come here, maybe there's a better way it could be implemented.

    Good idea!

    Yes, we can have a message board, with one thread per crap game.

    I have set this up here, solely for CSSCGC2008 to avoid clutter on the main forums.

    http://csscgc2008.makeforum.org/csscgc-2008-f1.html

    Please visit it.

    I haven't linked it in yet from the main CSSCGC 2008 site, but I will do this later. (EDIT: done this now)

    Also it's possible I may need to tweak the permissions on it as I have only just set it up.
    Also - DP, you may want to spamtrap that email address on the page

    Yes, normally I would.

    I guess its because that email address already receives a massive amount of spam due to previous USENET posting and already appearing unprotected elsewhere on the web, I'm not sure if it would make much difference at this point.

    Fortunately the Junk filter at googlemail seems really accurate,

    So like my predecessor I'll leave it as is for the moment, because if nothing else at least it is more convenient for people to send submissions in.

    Thanks, DP
  • edited January 2008
    Graz wrote: »
    Great site. Even empty it's worth visiting!

    Deffo contribulatoring this year. (Filthy swine.)

    Cheers Graz, Excellent I look forward to everyone's submissions.
  • edited January 2008
    Great Site DP,

    Thank god I didn't Loose, It would've took me all year to create a site.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks, although my web skills are 12 years out of date (I can only do simple HTML using a text editor) I guess it's occasionally useful for some basic things.

    I don't think my site would pass modern validation standards somehow.

    But fortunately I suppose a deliberatly outdated looking site somehow suits the compo. :)
  • edited January 2008
    Nice to see new features being implemented!
    Thanks, although my web skills are 12 years out of date (I can only do simple HTML using a text editor)

    Off topic, but I can also only make HTML pages through notepad and have never used some web creation tools, but does any one know of some good (and preferably free) tool for this?
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks, although my web skills are 12 years out of date (I can only do simple HTML using a text editor) I guess it's occasionally useful for some basic things.

    yeah I love the starry bacground. it reminds me my 10 years old geocities site :)
  • edited January 2008
    Hmmmm sweet! maybe I'll take the time to write one from scratch. Or maybe I'll try and do that without taking the time :D
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited January 2008
    Arda wrote: »
    yeah I love the starry bacground. it reminds me my 10 years old geocities site :)

    Yes, that's pretty much spot on. :)

    The look and feel reminds me of the first web explosion in the mid '90s when everyone had a website which read:-

    Welcome to my homepage. --Under Construction-- My interests include computing, reading and going out with friends.

    I suppose people would be more inclined to use Myspace or similar sites nowadays.

    Still, it was mostly innocent fun back in the day.
  • edited January 2008
    Hmmmm sweet! maybe I'll take the time to write one from scratch. Or maybe I'll try and do that without taking the time :D

    Yes, I think either method can produce interesting results. The game that lost me the compo last year was written without taking the time. So I'd say anyone who does this may come perrilously close to winning the booby prize this year, but that is of course fun too. Also it depends on how many other entrants choose to do the same thing.
  • edited January 2008
    Paul E Collins has got the compo off to a very quick start, by submitting "kabaddi" today.

    I've uploaded it to the CSSCGC 2008 site.

    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/
  • edited January 2008
    Paul E Collins has got the compo off to a very quick start, by submitting "kabaddi" today.

    I've uploaded it to the CSSCGC 2008 site.

    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    Haha! Fantastic! A Kabaddi simulator, who would've thunk it :lol:

    I actually used to watch it sometimes on a Sunday afternoon whilst eating me roast dindins. Odd game to say the least.

    Me and a bunch of friends started playing it down the park in about 1994/5 just for a laugh. One day an old Indian woman sat down on the swings and started watching us. The little kid she had with her (presumably her grandson) was fidgiting and genarally misbehaving, and I actually heard her say to him "Stop that, now sit down and watch the Kabaddi".

    Maybe it made her feel a little bit at home, cos' she had quite a strong accent so I assume she wasn't originally from England.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited January 2008
    DP wrote:
    Fortunately the Junk filter at googlemail seems really accurate,

    So like my predecessor I'll leave it as is for the moment, because if nothing else at least it is more convenient for people to send submissions in.

    My one went through the googlemail filter as well 8)
    Zoffy wrote: »
    I was thinking, could we also have a message board for each game so we can comment on them ourselves instead of just having the official review?

    On a related note, when I finally get round to updating the CSSCGC2007 site the Crap Game Finder will have links to wiki pages for people to write comments/notes on the games. This won't be useful for the 2008 compo (unless DP wants to link across in the correct format) as the finder isn't normally updated until it concludes, and a forum is generally better for discussion.
    Paul E Collins has got the compo off to a very quick start, by submitting "kabaddi" today.

    I think he was first into the 2007 compo too!

    Chris
  • edited January 2008
    Chris_Y wrote: »
    On a related note, when I finally get round to updating the CSSCGC2007 site the Crap Game Finder will have links to wiki pages for people to write comments/notes on the games. This won't be useful for the 2008 compo (unless DP wants to link across in the correct format) as the finder isn't normally updated until it concludes, and a forum is generally better for discussion.

    Yes, the wiki linking sounds like a really good idea in the long term, but for now I agree with you that I will stick with the discussion forums rather than wiki page links for the duration of CSSCGC 2008. The simple reason being that the 2008 site is already set up like this, and it seems suitable enough for the time being. Also, it appears that down the years, each website has a distinct and different feel to it, employing uniquely different methods which is a good thing.

    Cheers, DP
  • edited January 2008
    Also, it appears that down the years, each website has a distinct and different feel to it, employing uniquely different methods which is a good thing.

    Absolutely - along with different rules, methods of judging etc.

    I had to upload something else so I've put the wiki links up now (as well as all the stuff relating to 2008 SPACE BRACKET (cursed smilies - Ed). There may be problems if there are two games with the same name. I'll fix that when I find some.

    The 2007 bits aren't updated yet (although I have added a note on the compo page - just noticed the link's wrong but I can't fix it now), that's going to take some time and motivation.
  • edited January 2008
    Paul E Collins has got the compo off to a very quick start, by submitting "kabaddi" today.

    I've uploaded it to the CSSCGC 2008 site.

    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

    POKES for Kabaddi:
    Avoid need to say "kabaddi": Delete Line 13
    Avoid being hit by the baddies: Type:
    14 FOR n=i TO i
    

    I hope I don't spoil this top crap game :-)
    Rickard wrote: »
    Off topic, but I can also only make HTML pages through notepad and have never used some web creation tools, but does any one know of some good (and preferably free) tool for this?

    If you are not too adverse to Microsoft bloat-ware, you can always download Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition for free (use the Offline download near the bottom - its only a 900Mb download). You don't need to write aspx or C# code, you can stick with html and css files if you wish.
  • edited January 2008
    Notch one point up for Mr. Collins in the "crap" stakes : the description of the game is a touch inaccurate in the instructions. It's not just holding your breath, going to the opponents half and coming back. A raiders real goal is to *touch* one or more opponents in their half and then make it back safely to your own half whilst constantly muttering "kabbadi".

    This one will be a bit hard to top me suspects...

    *mutters kabbadi under his breath*
  • edited January 2008
    Started another entry today. Looking good (I mean bad) so far. Gonna play Kabaddi tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to it!
  • edited January 2008
    Gavin Callard has submitted Advanced Betting Simulator 2008 this evening.

    Cheers, DP
  • edited January 2008
    I added some more notes to the website to clarify (or perhaps to obfuscate) the judging method for this year's compo.

    http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/judging.htm

    It may (or may not) be of interest to any prospective entrants. :)
  • edited January 2008
    I've been obfuscated in a clarified way:

    "The game with the highest score will win the compo. The game with the lowest score will lose, and the author of the losing game will be requested and required to host CSSCGC 2009."

    I thought whoever wins has to host the compo?
    If you didn't win the CSSCGC2k8, then who did?
  • edited January 2008
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    I've been obfuscated in a clarified way:

    "The game with the highest score will win the compo. The game with the lowest score will lose, and the author of the losing game will be requested and required to host CSSCGC 2009."

    I thought whoever wins has to host the compo?
    If you didn't win the CSSCGC2k8, then who did?

    I lost last year's compo with the admittedly dire "The Quest for the Golden Egg", and therefore ended up hosting this year's compo.

    CSSCGC 2007 was won by a game called "Dobsonic Defender (Gold Edition)" by David Mackenzie.

    So as I learnt last year, it appears it is the tradition for the outright loser to host the following compo (It's a sort of twisted punishment). :)
Sign In or Register to comment.