Joypad or Joystick (or should that be Joyce Stick)

edited February 2008 in Chit chat
I was reading the following article about Joysticks
http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=7488178

It got me thinking. Do you prefer a joypad or a Joystick.
Post edited by Scottie_uk on
Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos

Comments

• edited February 2008
    i stated off on keyboards, went to joy sticks, and now im on joypads. i dont really have a choice in the matter, when playing my DS, i suppose that counts as a joypad. i do play pc games, but i usually use a mouse keyboard combo.
  • edited February 2008
    Depends on the game, but most 2D things with up to 6 buttons I prefer an arcade stick.
    Sometimes if you've done something like play Sonic on a pad for years, it's hard to make your brain switch to playing it with a stick, but on the whole a stick is best for me, but more of the arcade type than an analogue computer type stick, can't use those at all.
  • edited February 2008
    When I'm in gaming mode I get out my Arcade Joystick and play classic arcade games on Mame.

An amidar clone called Amigos is currently the game of choice.

Thats the neat thing about retro arcade games, somtimes the clones are better than the original.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited February 2008
    Hmmm, I find keys very very dificult now.

If I had to choose a joysick, then it would have to be the original Atari one ( I wonder if I can pick one up sometime.) Quickshot one was pretty good too!

I think modern joypads have spoiled us though.
  • edited February 2008
    Well me too, when playing most 2D games or mame I prefer an arcade stick, while when playing fighters, the arcade stick is a must.
    For shooters of course keyboard and mouse, or the newly discovered nunchuck and wii remote....
  • edited February 2008
    Like Vertigo said, it all depends on the game. Some are more suited to joystick (Daley Thompson's Decathlon and Hypersports for example) and others to keyboard (just try playing The Hobbit with a joystick and you'll see what I mean :p).

Necros.
  • edited February 2008
    Still a keyboard person but dont mind using joypads. Cant stand using joysticks, cant have enough control over the character
  • edited February 2008
    For MAME and other arcade emulators, it has to be a joystick. I find the Hori fighting stick to be excellent. For console emulation, I use a joypad and for the Speccy, I like the keyboard, just like I used "back in the day". But, overall, I prefer the joystick.
  • edited February 2008
    I voted Joypad cos' that seems to be the norm these days.

However if I'm playing Speccy I use keyboard.

I guess I was weird when it comes to peripherals, I started off using Joystick, by 86 I was using keyboard only and wouldn't use a stick for anything other than Daley Thompsons Supertest (or equivalent game).

Pads just worked their way in, in about 1990, I had a pal who had a Master System, and the pad just felt normal, since then everything has them.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited February 2008
    I voted Joypad cos' that seems to be the norm these days.

However if I'm playing Speccy I use keyboard.

I'm with you on that one... I'm always playing Xbox, and so I use joypads more than anything else. But if you're talking Speccy, then it's keyboard all the way!!