ZXDS 0.8.0 beta 1

edited November 2008 in Emulators
Once again a new version is out. Apart from adding TR-DOS and few little features I haven't touched anything else, but I thought you might want to have it anyway.

Patrik
Post edited by Patrik Rak on

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Cheers Pat,

it's the only time my DS gets a workout nowadays :-P
  • edited June 2008
    Will check this out later :)
    Have left you a little donation.
  • edited June 2008
    Great another update for the DS :D

The only thing i have found that doesn't seem to work is the controls !

Selecting kempston as the control option on both a game and also on the emulator but doesn't seem to work, i had better luck using the keyboard option but the others don't work....

Anyway keep up the good work and thank for for a great emulator of a great machine for an excellent hand held :o:D:o

paul
  • edited June 2008
    nice one, good to see these updates, and all your hard work over this excellent emulator.
  • edited June 2008
    paul3100 wrote: »
    Selecting kempston as the control option on both a game and also on the emulator but doesn't seem to work, i had better luck using the keyboard option but the others don't work...

Well, I am pretty sure that kempston works, as I am using either that or sinclair joystick most of the time. Which game did you try in which it didn't work?

Patrik
  • edited June 2008
    If it was Jack The Nipper 2, there's a control issue with Kempston.
  • edited June 2008
    Jack the Nipper II has a known problem with decoding of Kempston ports (clone interfaces behaved differently from the real one. JtN II assumes decoding, and ZXDS uses the other).
  • edited June 2008
    Hmm, I thought that changing the port decoding to just A5 have had fixed that, but obviously it didn't. I will check that one again... A kind of deja vous, really :)
  • edited June 2008
    Haha, qj.net:
    ZXDS 0.8.0 beta 1 - now with safer shutdown
    They really know how to choose the major highlights from the changelog... :lol:
  • edited June 2008
    That's excellent, I'm having a great time browsing trough those TRD files....
    And a new style for the buttons would be fun to play with for a little while.....
    Thanks a lot, another great update !
  • edited July 2008
    Absolutely fantastic, pretty much faultless, now all you have to do is start on those PC Engine and C64 DS emulators you've always wanted to make
  • edited July 2008
    Hey a decent c64 emulator is indeed needed , we were promised one from someone a month or so ago was going to be coming but when i don't know?

Anyway back on topic....

When i had said kempston wasn't working properly i was wrong!, i didn't realize you had to select the joystick every time you changed game, could this be a bug fox for a next release where once you boot up the emulator and choose joystick it keeps that option whilst the emu is on.

Or even better have some sort of file that saves all options such as model,joystick & even last selected game.?

Have to say though since using this update i haven't went back to using the other 2 ds/speccy emulators :-)

paul
  • edited July 2008
    I didn't realize you had to select the joystick every time you changed game, could this be a bug fox for a next release where once you boot up the emulator and choose joystick it keeps that option whilst the emu is on.

The controls are changed only when you load a Z80 snapshot, to whatever controls were saved within the snapshot. This is considered a feature.

If you use tape files instead of snapshots, the controls are left intact (unless there is an .cfg file with the same basename which might override it, but I guess this is not the case).
    Or even better have some sort of file that saves all options such as model,joystick & even last selected game.

If you use the shutdown icon from the system menu instead of the shutdown button on your DS, it works pretty much like that.

Patrik
  • edited July 2008
    Patrik Rak wrote: »
    If you use the shutdown icon from the system menu instead of the shutdown button on your DS, it works pretty much like that.
    Yes. Do as the man says. Set up the Speccy and controls how you would generally want them most of the time, then use the shut down icon. ZXDS will save this as save zero on your card. On the next boot, it automatically loads this save state. For example, mine is set up to boot to the 128K loader menu with a Kempston joystick and the face buttons defined for fire, space, enter and H for pausing.
  • edited July 2008
    And of course you can also use the "save config" icon to store the current key definitions plus the definitions stored in all those customizable key config slots.
  • edited July 2008
    Or anyone of the save state slots :)
    You just ain't looking at it right!
  • edited July 2008
    Or you could also edit your ZXDS.cfg file and manually assign your favorite contrlols and set your custom menu preferences......:)
    There is just so much you can do, next I will try to design my own buttons and customize the Skin !
  • edited July 2008
    Hey a decent c64 emulator is indeed needed , we were promised one from someone a month or so ago was going to be coming but when i don't know?
    Someones already working on a new one? that sounds promising, I've been using frodods but progress for it is really slow, and it's quite hard to get anything to work, I never much liked Frodo in the first place either tbh (prefer Vice or CCS64) here's hoping the guy will stick with it.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks all for your reply's
    Or you could also edit your ZXDS.cfg file

That's what i was talking about in my post above but didn't know zxds had one, ill need to look :wink:

I guess because the emulator has so many GOOD features its hard to get knowing them all straight off and i don't use my ds a great deal but when i do its to try out yet another speccy game i haven't tried before.

regards, paul
  • edited November 2008
    Vertigo wrote: »
    If it was Jack The Nipper 2, there's a control issue with Kempston.
    Patrik Rak wrote: »
    Hmm, I thought that changing the port decoding to just A5 have had fixed that, but obviously it didn't. I will check that one again... A kind of deja vous, really :)

I have promised to Vertigo to look into this, so I did so yesterday. To my surprise, in the version I have the kempston joystick doesn't work at all! I mean, the code in the game itself doesn't work. There is an IN at 49798 which samples the port #1F but the result is then immediatelly discarded. That's why it doesn't work in ZXDS and why it can't work in any other emulator either.

Sorry, Vertigo, but at least I tried.

Patrik