ZX-Blockeditor version 1.0.1.9 published

edited July 2008 in Announcements
Today I have published the newest release of ZX-Blockeditor, which comes with new file format support (TRD, SCL, $?, CSW, TZX 1.2, SZX 1.3 and updated reader for Z80 file variations).
Furthermore, You may now work with 2 windows of ZX-Blockeditor at once and you can copy complete groups of datablocks from one window to the other by using the icons in the new toolbar "Send bar" (left side by default).

To read about more changes in detail, please go to my homepage at

http://www.zxmodules.de

and click on the "ZX-Blockeditor" button in the left menu. Read the changes in the table over the download section.

If you have some trouble, please contact me here or via e-mail. You find my email address in the about dialog of ZX-Blockeditor.

Kind regards,

Claus.
Post edited by clausjahn on

There are no problems, only solutions (K. Flynn)

Visit my ZX-Modules homepage with lot of free programs, also VU3D-Animator!
Or visit my music-related website if you're interested in synthesizer music.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Humm... no comments?
    Seems to be ZX-Blockeditor is less of interest.

• edited July 2008
    Thanks aowen for your excitation. Well, I'm not really disappointed. I know that in many points my programs may look a bit ordinary...
    The only thing I can (and must) do is to make them clearer and easier to use. And maybe, my advertisement was not detailled enough... ;-)

I have made some little breakthroughs since the last version of ZX-Blockeditor 1.0.1.3 but it's not easy to see them at a glance, especially the TR-DOS file support and common disk file support needed many weeks to implement.

The other thing is that I needed too much time to implement full file support for TZX format 1.2 as well as the Z80 format variations which could not be red properly. I definitely was not up-to-date for years....

I guess that I must make some more breakthroughs to cause ZX-Blockeditor to be known much better.

• jpjp
    edited July 2008
    clausjahn wrote: »
    ...Thanks aowen for your excitation...
    ...good, good, good, good vibrations...[fnar]
  • edited July 2008
    clausjahn wrote: »
    Thanks aowen for your excitation. Well, I'm not really disappointed. I know that in many points my programs may look a bit ordinary...
    The only thing I can (and must) do is to make them clearer and easier to use. And maybe, my advertisement was not detailled enough... ;-)

Hi clausjahn,

I'm still using ZX-Blockeditor, and I highly recommend it.

It's a very useful piece of software. I'm probably still using an old version of it, which does everything I need for the moment. I haven't donwloaded a newer version for a while!

Here's what I've used it for so far:-

On the CSSCGC 2008 website, I'm using the "ZZ Spectrum" emulator in the 128K game section. This emulator loads tzx files in real time, but it can flash-load TAP files which is much faster and more suitable for the arcade page. When competition entrants send me games in tzx format. I use your program to effortlessly create TAP versions for the arcade page.

When I was uploading some "screen grabs" to the archive last year, I often used your program to examine the binary contents of many speccy tape files.

This made many screen grabs possible and they are now in the WoS archive.

For example, I was able to use your program to identify that "Hisoft pascal modules" is really a Tasword document, rather than actual Pascal source modules. So this title now has a screenshot in the archive, thanks to using ZX-Blockeditor.

I also used it to identify what type of data was stored on many tapes - mainly "add-on" or "data" tapes for many programs, again I would not have known how to use these tapes and grab a screen without ZX-blockeditor.

No doubt there are many other tools out there that can also do some of the things that your program does, but I'm used to using ZX-Blockeditor at the moment.

So thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Cheers, DP
  • edited July 2008
    @aowen:
    There are probably no-more than 100 people involved in developing software for the Spectrum.

Really? I did not yet realize that the group of developers is so small. But in that point of view, I understand the response.

@Digital Prawn:
    Great to hear that ZX-Blockeditor already helped a lot at your work. :-)

I was not sure when I decided to develop such standardized block viewing tools if they would be accepted. Nor, if the view I designed would be accepted. Now, as parts of ZX-Blockeditor are working inside all ZX-Modules programs, I'm happy about that decision. It's a very open system that should be able to support nearly all things that will come.

@Martijn:
    Thanks for announcing! :-) *hugs*