multiplayer games you had to play by yourself.

edited July 2008 in Chit chat
...cos you smell and you have no freinds.

not on about the game with two player options but you could easily play on your own. but did you ever plug in another controller for a player who wasn't there.

i did it in the co-op mode in perfect dark to explore the larger harder level stages.

to practive fatality moves in mortal combat.
Post edited by mile on

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Yeh, I too did it on lots of 16-bit games for practicing, including the following notables:
    Street Fighter 2 for combo practice,
    Mortal Kombat 1/2/UMK3 for same,
    FIFA for shooting practice to suss out the exact places to shoot from for cheaty goal,
    Streets of Rage to distract a particularly nasty boss with stationery character,
    Have done it on old versions of SF2 in the arcade too when it was cheap, because I preferred to play on the 2P side (fnar!) and it also meant I could cheat Ryu out of the way :D
    There were many more on the 16-bit consoles and I still do it on my arcade games like King Of Fighters 98 and Garou to practice combos if someone's coming over to play.
    Also Gauntlet on the Speccy, when P1 was about to die, I'd switch over to P2 and wait for P1 to die then carry on. Stopped playing Gauntlet when I got to the end of side B and there was no more except a rewind to the start of the tape to carry on :(
  • edited July 2008
    mile wrote: »
    to practive fatality moves in mortal combat.

I think just about everybody did that.
    Vertigo wrote:
    Streets of Rage to distract a particularly nasty boss with stationery character

I've done that too, with a few scrolling beat 'em ups. It's the easiest way to cheat to victory, some bosses are just cheap and nasty and deserve it. I had to do it to beat Mr Big on the arcade version of NARC as well, he was bloody impossible to beat on your own otherwise and you had to start the whole fight again if you continued.

There was a mode you could access on Star Wars Episode One: Racer on the N64 that you could access with a cheat code, where you could play the game with two analogue sticks (plug in two controllers and hold one in each hand) to simulate dual hand controls.....I played the game like that a lot, if that counts.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure I used to play Double Dragon 2 on the NES in 2-player mode. If I remember rightly, whenever you killed the other player, you'd gain a life. So at the start of each game, I'd kill off all the other player's lives to give my player more.
  • edited July 2008
    ToxieDogg wrote: »
    There was a mode you could access on Star Wars Episode One: Racer on the N64 that you could access with a cheat code, where you could play the game with two analogue sticks (plug in two controllers and hold one in each hand) to simulate dual hand controls.....I played the game like that a lot, if that counts.

yeah thats right, i think they was a similar control in goldeneye i think, or i may be just thinking of this.
  • edited July 2008
    mile wrote: »
    yeah thats right, i think they was a similar control in goldeneye i think, or i may be just thinking of this.

That's right... I occasionally played that with two pads.
  • edited July 2008
    GreenCard wrote: »
    That's right... I occasionally played that with two pads.

yeah you moved with one and aimed with another. ha two analogue sticks in unison will never take off.
  • edited July 2008
    Perfect Dark (N64) multiplayer played against bots (or sims, as the game calls them) is fantastic, especially if you use more than two teams, and bung in different personality sims (kill an enemy Peace sim and you can get tons of weapons!).

Edit: May as well list more;

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) is superb in multiplayer against bots, especially War: Colours, Heist, and Beach.
    Unreal Tournament (PC) is great - I mean the original, 1999, game, not the (inferior) sequels.
    Unreal Championship (XBox) is so annoying, as with just a few changes it could be a first class game. As it is it's just OK.
    Worms Armageddon (N64, PC) is good against the computer, but much better against humans (like all multiplayer games).
    Jimmy White's Snooker (Atari ST) - a great game against human or computer, but the computer, if it doesn't actually
    cheat, plays better than any human ever could.
    Infection/Think!/Xeno (ZX Spectrum) all great games that play very well against the computer or against a human.
  • edited July 2008
    Here's a good Spectrum one. I used to play things like BMX Simulator or other Code Masters "simulators" as player 2 so I could race against a different bike/jetski/etc
  • edited July 2008
    Does hitting 2 on Bubble Bobble when you lose your last life count :D

Also the same for gauntlet when you're just about to run out of health, did that a few times back then. Not so much now though I try and play my games cheat free, I live by the same principals now as I did then.

.....and that is if you fork money out for a game why bother cheating, it's like wasting money. It didn't apply to Speccy games as such, well not budget titles. But I really adopted this frame of mind when I started playing consoles. The Megadrive is what put me off playing games on the easy setting, haven't played a game on easy since about 1992. Probably never will again, I always start on normal or medium or whatever.

If a game only has normal and hard, I don't go straight to hard though to try and be clever (although I think I may have tried it a couple of times) :D
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited July 2008
    Does hitting 2 on Bubble Bobble when you lose your last life count :D

Also the same for gauntlet when you're just about to run out of health, did that a few times back then. Not so much now though I try and play my games cheat free, I live by the same principals now as I did then.

.....and that is if you fork money out for a game why bother cheating, it's like wasting money. It didn't apply to Speccy games as such, well not budget titles. But I really adopted this frame of mind when I started playing consoles. The Megadrive is what put me off playing games on the easy setting, haven't played a game on easy since about 1992. Probably never will again, I always start on normal or medium or whatever.

If a game only has normal and hard, I don't go straight to hard though to try and be clever (although I think I may have tried it a couple of times) :D

it was castlevania on the n64 that made me never play a game on easy setting again. i knew it was a bit pap so i went through on easy, the game ended half way through, with a message 'to see the rest try playing on hard setting' so i traded it in, that showed it.

i prefer games without level, unless they are mission based, so i could always go back and do them on the harder setting. i also expect some major changes to even bother trying it on a harder setting, it seems pointless just to play it again but with less powerups etc.