Your chance to feature on Classic Games Crusader DVD & entry to VIP launch party!

edited November 2008 in Announcements
EMI is releasing a commercial retro DVD in February 2009. Presented by games enthusiast Iain Lee and created by production house Phoenix Film & Television, ?Classic Games Crusader? looks set to deliver a huge rush of excitement to your nostalgia gland. Features will include unique ?Director?s Commentaries? on certain hit games. Iain and the game?s programmer chat while watching a playthrough sent in by a fan who?ll also be present for the commentary.

Phoenix are currently looking gamers who are big fans of the following games:

Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy (Spectrum)
Head Over Heels (CPC)
Paradroid (C64)
Pitfall (Atari 2600)
Ghosts ?N? Goblins (Arcade)
Elite (Special Missions) (BBC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

If you want to take part, or know someone who would like to take part then contact Phoenix Producer Anthony on anthonyc@phoenixmedia.co.uk. You?ll be expected to provide an AVI or similar of you completing the game you choose. If you are selected you'll be invited to London (expenses paid) to feature on the DVD giving commentary.

This is a genuine chance for anyone to showcase their game playing skills and get their name on the DVD. They will also get an invite to the DVD launch party in London with all manner of gaming celebrities, both past and present attending.
Post edited by Lee Fogarty on
My test signature

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Iain Lee is a tit, and this thread is an abuse of moderator power.
  • edited November 2008
    I'm sorry, I posted something I thought would be of interest. How is that an abuse?

I have never heard of Iain Lee btw.
    My test signature
  • edited November 2008
    I approve of sticky threads for wide-interest newsy announcementy things. We should really have them more often.

(I was almost tempted to sign up, but I'm probably crap at Manic Miner again these days. I was never particularly brilliant at that or JSW in the first place, just good enough to complete it while mostly gaining more lives than I lost...)
  • edited November 2008
    I'd do it, but nah! Chop's right Iain Lee is a bit of a tit :lol:

Plus I'm not guarenteed to finish MM or JSW under pressure.

Nice thought though Foggy I won't hold it against you ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2008
    I'd agree, Ian Lee is a tit! I saw him on a programme about retro games and the way he spoke to some of programmers - he was very patronising.
    I wanted to punch him! He is a tit
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2008
    In fact why don't we all enter the competition and the winner has to tell Ian Lee to his face that he is a tit.
  • edited November 2008
    zx1 wrote: »
    In fact why don't we all enter the competition and the winner has to tell Ian Lee to his face that he is a tit.

Well I know I'm from the Northeast of England, but you're a sweaty so if you win you're more likely to deliver a better headbutt to the lanky tool :lol:
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2008
    Well I know I'm from the Northeast of England, but you're a sweaty so if you win you're more likely to deliver a better headbutt to the lanky tool :lol:

a sweaty? I've been called many things but never that! Is that Geordie slang for Scots? I doubt i could headbutt him as i'm only 5ft 4!
  • edited November 2008
    fogartylee wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I posted something I thought would be of interest. How is that an abuse?

I'll let you off seeing as you've never heard of Lee, but how does this warrant a sticky
  • edited November 2008
    I think Mile's Mad Mission needs an "Iain Lee Is A Tit" screen :)
  • edited November 2008
    Winston wrote: »
    I think Mile's Mad Mission needs an "Iain Lee Is A Tit" screen :)

Nah too obvious, hang on what am I saying has anyone seen his top game on MSN obvious is the new tit.
  • edited November 2008

Aww, he's not that bad! He shows reasonable respect to Matthew Smith here. He's obviously interested in retro games!!!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmmMZlhcqU
  • edited November 2008
    chop983 wrote: »
    I'll let you off seeing as you've never heard of Lee, but how does this warrant a sticky

Because the first person that asked me to post this (and was the person that originally posted it on another forum), is a friend of mine and is very well respected amongst the retro community.

In addition, there are other highly respected members of the community involved in this project.

Finally, it is something that everyone here can easily be involved in, and there is at least one other forum that has recommended that WoS be involved in this.

I know that this DVD isn't a small time project or "vapourware" It's going to happen and there are going to be very large numbers produced.

So how is announcing it here, and making it sticky so offensive?
    My test signature
  • edited November 2008
    I would love to take part in this, but sadly I don't have the time and also, the only one I've ever played to length is Head over Heels on the CPC, but never got too far in it.
  • edited November 2008

Dudeous Foggie ... I trust you to make the decision whether to create a sticky or not. I am pro-sticky and this thread is neither offensive to me nor out of place here.

Interesting project going on which I would have loved to know more about if I lived in Europe.

-I am ZnorXman and I approve of this message.
  • edited November 2008
    I think the sticky problem is due to the fact that this is a thread about a commercial venture with very little to relate it to the speccy.

Making it sticky is getting close to providing a commercial advertisement for a profit making venture. Although links to these sort of projects have always been allowed I would consider this to be close to being a (written) banner ad, not the sort of thing WOS normally carries.

I have no problem with the post and think its the sort of thing that should be posted as news / general interest but it shouldn't be sticky, the thread should sink or swim on its own merits.
  • edited November 2008
    The thread has been unstuck and moved to Adverts (as you can see :-) ).
  • edited November 2008
    Because the first person that asked me to post this (and was the person that originally posted it on another forum), is a friend of mine and is very well respected amongst the retro community.

In addition, there are other highly respected members of the community involved in this project.

Finally, it is something that everyone here can easily be involved in, and there is at least one other forum that has recommended that WoS be involved in this.

I know that this DVD isn't a small time project or "vapourware" It's going to happen and there are going to be very large numbers produced.

So, you deliberately posted an advert for a commercial project outside the adverts forum, and made it sticky to promote it still further, without discussing this with Martjin or anyone else? You seem to be using your moderator privileges on WoS to provide free advertising for your friend's project.

I can't see any way in which this isn't a blatant abuse of moderator powers.
  • edited November 2008
    mheide wrote: »
    The thread has been unstuck and moved to Adverts (as you can see :-) ).

Hah! I'm so used to the "New Posts" button that I had early forgotten about the different sections within WoSF ... my bad ... I usually check what section it is I'm in and base my eloquence upon whether I'm inside or outside of Chit Chat, i.e. it goes from bad to worse ... or is it the other way around.
  • edited November 2008
    OMG - how over the top can u get ?? Abuse of moderator powers? Bloody ell m8 - get off your high horse!!

From what I know, this DVD has quite a lot of Speccy input and will be of interest to these forum members. All the thread is asking for is a little support from the retro community as there could be a number of these kind of DVDs if this first one is successful.

I fail to understand why the retro community does not embrace projects like this instead of being suspicious, complaining of commercial implications and generally being negative.
  • edited November 2008
    I suggest you learn some facts about the situation before going off on a rant.

Martijn's policy (which Lee is well aware of) is that WoS will never be associated with commercial ventures of any kind, as that is part of the guarantee given to copyright holders when asking for free distribution of their product.

Yet Lee decided to ignore this because it was a friend of his, and make it sticky as well. All good luck to the project, but Lee was completely wrong to use his WoS moderator privileges to advertise it. Why do you think Martijn moved the thread and unstuck it?
  • edited November 2008
    For the record, it was not on a rant. Just passing my opinion as an observer. Surely if you had a problem with Lee and his moderating, stating your opinions on a public forum was probably not the best course of action. Surely a PM, E-mail or private phone call would have been more appropriate.

Just to make it quite clear, the above paragraph is not a rant.

Also, my understanding is that permissions have been received for all assets used in the DVD so your point about copyright hodlers is void.
  • edited November 2008
    Phoenix are currently looking gamers who are big fans of the following games:

Oh dear me I'm gonna be on topic...

Does that mean we may get some more Matthew Smith? I hope so! Please see if you can find out Foggy.

Cheers.

...Staying on topic has exhausted me. I have to go lie down now.
  • edited November 2008
    dekh wrote: »
    Oh dear me I'm gonna be on topic...

Does that mean we may get some more Matthew Smith? I hope so! Please see if you can find out Foggy.

Cheers.

...Staying on topic has exhausted me. I have to go lie down now.
    I suspect Matthew Smith will be having little to do Spectrum coding in the future...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited November 2008
    karingal wrote: »
    I suspect Matthew Smith will be having little to do Spectrum coding in the future...

He heading to jail? What's new with him?
  • edited November 2008
    zx1 wrote: »
    a sweaty? I've been called many things but never that! Is that Geordie slang for Scots? I doubt i could headbutt him as i'm only 5ft 4!

Sorry late reply but I didn't even realise the thread had been moved, I thought it had been deleted.

Sweaty is quite simple really, but the whole "You're a Sweaty" thing came from something this mad old guy in a bar I used to drink in shouted at a mate of mine who was Scottish.

Sweaty = Sweaty Sock = Rhyming Slang = Jock

Nothing to it really.

As for a DVD like I said I'd think about it, but Iain Lee is a tit, and I can guarentee, if I was required to complete MM I'd get to either the warehouse or Solar Power Generator and fold. Plus I'm in Yanksville, if they're willing to travel that far to watch a Geordie play MM then send them my way :lol:
  • edited November 2008
    Iain and the game’s programmer chat while watching a playthrough sent in by a fan who’ll also be present for the commentary.

I thought he was writing for mobiles now, but haven't watched any of the youtube stuff for ages.

However the announcement does give the impression that he will feature in the DVD.
  • edited November 2008
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    He heading to jail? What's new with him?
    What was the point of your post?
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited November 2008
    What was the point of your post?

I don't have the background information needed to understand your comment. You know something about Matthew Smith which was left out when you posted. I was just wondering what that "something" was, i.e. why will he not be coding for the Speccy.
  • edited November 2008
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    I don't have the background information needed to understand your comment. You know something about Matthew Smith which was left out when you posted. I was just wondering what that "something" was, i.e. why will he not be coding for the Speccy.

I can't imagine why any commercial programmer would code for the Spectrum. I'm sure that all those new and technically excellent games that keep coming out through Chronosoft etc. barely make enough money for the authors to buy a round of drinks at the local.

The only reason to write for the Spectrum would be love of the platform.

From what I remember of the recent Matthew Smith interviews he is broke, living with his mum and trying to write commercial software.

There is such a mythos surrounding him that he would be my preferred choice for any retro program. However he did recently do the article in retro gamer which included a talk through of each MM level. So I would like to hear about JSW and other projects.

Hopefully he'll be a bit more with it, but in the last TV thing I saw he *looked* like he had had a serious mental breakdown.

I only say *looked* because a friend of mine had a collapse and suddenly developed the same scary wide eyed expression and strange head movements.

Hopefully it's nothing of the sort as the condition doesn't seem to ever go away and there are frequent relapses.

Damn... I went off topic.