Announcing the 2009 CSSCGC

edited January 2010 in Games
as Digital Prawn has already said, the 2009 compo page went live today, so there's a small overlap between the competitions.
obviously you can't submit a game to both, so you'll have to decide whether your game is crap enough to compete with the current front runners in the 2008 compo, or if you want to gamble and hope that no-one writes any stunningly crap entries to beat yours over the next 12 months :)

the competition home page is here: http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/

Da Rulez are here: http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/rules.html

submissions/criticism/spam to here: webmaster@alistairsserver.no-ip.org
Post edited by guesser on
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Great stuff Guesser!

Good to see the CSSCGC 2009 compo getting underway.

I do have an inclincation to submit some of my own awful efforts at some point, sometime after I've finished dealing with CSSCGC 2008 matters.

Best wishes for the 2009 compo,

Cheers, DP :)
  • edited January 2009
    of course now I've announced it, the server will probably die, or the router catch fire, or a massive power cut, or something equally helpful :)

most important of all, I forgot to say, have a Crappy New Year :lol:
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited January 2009
    guesser wrote: »
    of course now I've announced it, the server will probably die, or the router catch fire, or a massive power cut, or something equally helpful :)

You remind me of me. :D

I have to say the 2008 CGC site went offline a few choice times. One day it was when three people submitted games.

It was brown trouser time for a while (well not too much - after all it's the CGC and not the stock exchange).

So I set up the shadow site as a safety net. Sod's law - it hasn't actually been needed since I set it it up though.
  • edited January 2009
    Despite the still going compo 2008 I just sent in the first entry for 2009.
  • edited January 2009
    Dr BEEP wrote: »
    Despite the still going compo 2008 I just sent in the first entry for 2009.

I feel CSSCGC 2009 is going to get off to a speedy start. :D

Despite my earlier post, in fact I have 12 months worth of crap-game ideas built up, like a dam about to burst. (Except it isn't water behind the dam, but crap!) This is because I was unable to submit these ideas until now.

I have just started working on a crap game as I write this.

Hope to have it submitted later this evening. :D
  • edited January 2009
    Ok, my first entry to CSSCGC 2009 has just been sent in also (Oh dear it is awful. :D ).
  • edited January 2009
    Also I'd just like to ask guesser - (theoretically) if I lost the compo and there were no volunteers, then could I be excused from hosting CSSCGC 2010 by playing my "I've already hosted the CGC" card?

That'd make me feel much safer. :D

(I should also mention that hosting the CGC is a highly enjoyable experience for anyone - but perhaps once is enough for most people!)
  • edited January 2009
    Also I'd just like to ask guesser - (theoretically) if I lost the compo and there were no volunteers, then could I be excused from hosting CSSCGC 2010 by playing my "I've already hosted the CGC" card?

That'd make me feel much safer. :D

(I should also mention that hosting the CGC is a highly enjoyable experience for anyone - but perhaps once is enough for most people!)

hehe, well having just sat down and played your game, it's complete crap so I wouldn't worry too much for now :D

page updated with The Love Calculator by Dr Beep, and UnDoku by Digital Prawn
  • edited January 2009
    hehe, well having just sat down and played your game, it's complete crap so I wouldn't worry too much for now :D

page updated with The Love Calculator by Dr Beep, and UnDoku by Digital Prawn

Cheers, guesser - that was a super quick update, I've still got my email message open!
  • edited January 2009
    Cheers, guesser - that was a super quick update, I've still got my email message open!

I just came back upstairs (extended family have been round for tea) and saw the mails there.

thought I'd get off to as good a start as possible and try to avoid a backlog, goodness knows it's bound to slip as soon as I get back to uni! :)

if Dr Beep continues churning out games at his current rate I expect to be buried by February :D
  • edited January 2009
    I'm going to adopt a different strategy, if you folks don't mind. I'm not going to write a crap game. I'm going to write the best game this crap competition ever saw in its sorry existence.

When I'm done with you people, the CSSCGC will be no more because it's rather pathetic to be awarding crap games when someone else (namely me) is doing such great games. Wait for my submission...

Losers.
  • edited January 2009
    Well we already know whos going to come last then.
  • edited January 2009
    Hmm... I'm just getting into character. Don't be intimidated :)
    Perhaps I overdid it a little. But the point being that the best crap game is one you advertise as great.

Anyways, my submission will not be in BASIC so it will take a little while.
  • edited January 2009
    Just submitted my next entry - "Space Whale".

This one is my first ever CSSCGC entry in machine code.

Entire game (apart from the intro screen) written using PASMO.

Doing this poses a question I may post in the "Development" section when I have more time.

Namely "How do you draw 32x32 sprites without flicker?" :D

After Guesser uploads it, you'll be able to look at it to see what I'm talking about!
  • edited January 2009
    "How do you draw 32x32 sprites without flicker?" :D

The flicker is generally a bonus in the CGC. You of all people oughta know that!
  • edited January 2009
    Bob Stains wrote: »
    The flicker is generally a bonus in the CGC. You of all people oughta know that!

Indeed, I agree with this. :D

I do have an idea one day to make a "good game" with sprites though.

This entry is ideal for the CGC though and was erm.. a valuable learning exercise. (Like how not to do things) :)

So even if I can fix the flicker for future reference, the CGC entry stays as-is!
  • edited January 2009
    rahtgaz wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm just getting into character. Don't be intimidated :)

I certainly won't be intimidated. I have a proven ability of writing extremely crap games using all the worst programming habits, non of this poncy "decent programming" to be found here.

For example I don't do loops, I do cut and paste instead.

My total lack of ability means I fear nobody in this competition.
  • edited January 2009
    Great to see "Space Whale" now uploaded to the CSSCGC 2009 site!

Of course people who followed the "Starfield" thread in "Development" might notice something familiar with it. :D
  • edited January 2009
    Oops, almost forgot, I always provide the sources to everything I make (no matter how crap). :D

Here's the "Space Whale" source. Assembles in PASMO - if anyone is interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wjdmgdm5wlm

Also in this download is the small BASIC listing of the main "wrapper" program and also Z80 snapshot of the "Crap Sprite Designer" I wrote in BASIC just to make the sprites for this game.

Although it's terribly fiddly to use and has to be run at full emulator speed (it is sooo slow)!

Never did get around to looking into TommyGun yet. :D
  • edited January 2009
    Digital Prawn has already mentioned Space Whale, that and Whack-A-Nun have been added.

4 days, 4 games how long can we keep that rate up? ;)
  • edited January 2009
    Count me in! I already have all of the graphics and text done; I just need to implement them. I don't know BASIC at the moment, but my idea is so simple that I'll only need a cursory knowledge of it.
    Spoiler:
  • edited January 2009
    Digital Prawn has already mentioned Space Whale, that and Whack-A-Nun have been added.

4 days, 4 games how long can we keep that rate up? ;)

We can on 5-1-2009 because I just sent in another variant of
    10 PRINT "Hello": GO TO 10

EDIT:
    Mail was bounced due to a type-o.
    Resent now.
  • edited January 2009

Lightweight. Some people have hosted it twice and lived to tell the tale!

(Oddly, I've heard very little from anybody who has hosted the CGC twice since the second results were announced)

Chris
  • edited January 2009
    Guesser,

This is the link for my latest PRINT HELLO game.

http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/PG10.tap

it should be

http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/games/PG10.tap
  • edited January 2009
    Dr BEEP wrote: »

whoops, how did that happen? *cough*

fixed now
  • edited January 2009
    Chris_Y wrote: »
    Lightweight. Some people have hosted it twice and lived to tell the tale!

Just checked your website again today. I see Guesser has now been added to the list of compo hosts. :)

http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk/csscgc/csscgc.cgi
    (Oddly, I've heard very little from anybody who has hosted the CGC twice since the second results were announced)

Chris

Hopefully you will again. I believe that with the proper care & treatment they may one day be able to return to some semblance of normality. :D
  • edited January 2009
    Just checked your website again today. I see Guesser has now been added to the list of compo hosts. :)

Yep, one line in a text file gets another year added onto my age and the CSSCGC. Adding the 2008 results will take a little longer (usually it takes until the next year's compo ends)
    Hopefully you will again. I believe that with the proper care & treatment they may one day be able to return to some semblance of normality. :D

I think they are all cowering behind the sofa every time there is a knock at the door, dreading it being the postie turning up with yet another box of crap Spectrum games recorded onto C15s. They daren't leave the house for fear of being recognised by potential crap game authors, and the sight of blocky graphics and tuneless beeping sends them into cold sweats.

I'm sure you're right, though. They probably made it to the local community centre for the CGC Hosters Anonymous meeting eventually. Oh, that reminds me, what time is it?

Chris
  • edited January 2009
    You can stop the competition now.
    My awesome game/simulator was just submitted and noone has any chance of winning..

2 days before the CSSCGC 2008 ends I have submitted the sequel to the 2008 winner (I know even Digital Prawn seem surprised but my associate from "above " told me the future.I won 2008 even if noone else knows it yet)...

If you all want to know the name of the Sequel of the 2008 winner and -as you can imagine- the 2009 winner is....

Crap Games Competition 3009!!!

This game is so amazing that I didn't even name it 2009 I added 1001 versions on it...

All the judges/hosts of the previous CSSCGCompetitions will be amazed by the accuracy of this simulator... It's just like the real thing.

So, enjoy!
    :D
  • edited January 2009
    firelord wrote: »
    2 days before the CSSCGC 2008 ends I have submitted the sequel to the 2008 winner (I know even Digital Prawn seem surprised but my associate from "above " told me the future.I won 2008 even if noone else knows it yet)...

I am surprised! You can prod on the ceiling with a broomstick and tell your associate from above it ain't over till it's over! (and to turn his TV down). :D

You see, the 2008 winning entry may not yet have even been submitted (although this is becoming increasingly less likely as the hours march on.)

Who knows what may happen yet?

Perhaps we should play "Game of the yet to come" to find out. :D
  • edited January 2009
    http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/rules.html

Where's rule 5? Is rule 5 an unwritten rule that we never speak about rule 5? Or something?
    SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
    Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool