Philips monitor - CM8833 (not II) RGB pinouts?

Anyone know the pinouts for the Philips CM8833 monitor? I can only find the CM8833-II pinouts on the Web, which uses a different kind of connector - mine has a DIN socket.
TIA
trellis
Post edited by trellis on

Comments

• LCDLCD
    edited May 2003
    Mine has a Scart connector, and it works fine with Sprinter and it was working with my fathers +2.
  • edited May 2003
    Problem with the SCART is there's nowhere to connect the "Bright" (Intensity) pin, so you only get 8 colours. I'm assuming (hoping) the DIN socket has an intensity pin.
  • edited May 2003
    Bright? I don't think any display system uses a 'bright' pin - as far as I recall there is no Sinclair specific monitor designed for our weird attribute map.

Why would you expect a bright pin?
  • edited May 2003
    I must admit I thought it was a pretty slim chance, but the CM8833-II has one, as does the Commodore 1084S (although they call it "Intensity" rather than "Bright", but it's the same thing). Neither were (AFAIK) specifically designed for the Spectrum.
  • edited May 2003
    Well neither is likely to work correctly... if it is what you say it is then the monitor is clearly non-standard to fit with the port of said machines.

Some of the pins may be marked, red, green, blue etc... but if this is digital and not analogue then you're basically not going to have any simple solution to this. As I recall through experiments with an old IBM CGA monitor - which used cyan, magenta, yellow inputs FFS! I got some output from the Spectrum on the screen but without some nifty electronics which was way beyond me at the time (and I certainly would have to go away and think about now) I would in no way be able to get firstly CYM -> RGB and the intensity. The peritel output is analogue - the monitor input clearly isn't. Hence some sort of ADC conversion would be required. It'll be quite complex because you need to detect the resistance levels of the RGB to determine bright, or I suppose you could just try linking one of the lines to intensity. Who knows what the threshold of the input but you could use transistor forcing to zero below a certain voltage, forcing to +5 above. I can't think what the setup would be off the top of my head but that should do it.
  • edited May 2003
    The +2 outputs digital RGB+Bright (at TTL +5v level), which is what the monitors mentioned accept. SCART can be TTL compatible - my old Panasonic TV explicitly says in the manual that you can use TTL or analogue on the RGB pins - it detects which is in use. Still no bright, though.
    The Philips monitor I have in front of me has a DIN socket labelled "TTL RGB", which I was hoping to use.
  • edited May 2003
    I can't seem to find any +2 info... I guess the output is not the same as on a +3 then...
  • edited May 2003
    No, the +3 (and +2A) have analogue RGB outputs, AFAIK. Much more convenient :)
    http://www.crumblenet.co.uk/plus2/plus2rgb.gif

[ This Message was edited by: trellis on 2003-05-26 15:01 ]
  • edited May 2003
    http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/Spectrum128/SCARTCable/Spectrum128SCARTCable2.htm

This page may help.

Assuming your monitor has no bright input then it should be possible to use a series of diodes with the bright singal as shown here to alter the voltage of the RGB inputs.

Otherwise I think you'll find it quicker to simply experiment on the monitor input to locate the bright pin.
  • edited May 2003
    Thanks - that looks very interesting.
    I'll try that if it turns out this monitor hasn't got a bright pin.
    I'll see if I can extract some information out of Philips tomorrow.
  • edited May 2003
    Yay!

http://www.hku.nl/~pieter/HARD/MON/commodore1084.html

2080 Pin-Outs (Digital RGB 8-Pin DIN)

Pin 1: Status Computer (?)
    Pin 2: Red
    Pin 3: Green
    Pin 4: Blue
    Pin 5: Intensity
    Pin 6: Ground
    Pin 7: Horizontal Sync or Composite Sync
    Pin 8: Vertical Sync