Who want to remake Double Dragon?

Comments

• edited September 2003
    I still haven't finished all the sprites, but thankfully I only have two more to do before I send then off to Dmitry.
  • edited September 2003
    Swainy, what is the address to your DD website?
  • edited September 2003
    It's http://home.btconnect.com/gamestyle/index.htm but it hasn't been updated as I'm still not sure what set of sprites will be used. My second bunch were a bit big, so they might make the game run too slow. http://home.btconnect.com/gamestyle/images/original2.gif

• edited January 2004
    Any news about the progress of the project?

As a young boy chasing dragons with my wooden sword so mighty
  • edited January 2004
    swainy told me, that work gfx and code continues well. some soundtrack is done too, however i have seen only Soundtracker snapshots. as the only coder on this project is moroz, he is probably the only person who can say what is done.

btw.> what about Sonic ?
  • edited January 2004
    All the Double Dragon sprites are complete. 4 music tracks have been completed. No backgrounds have been done yet. Dmitry took a break from the project for a couple of months but when I spoke to him a week or two ago, he was busy coding the game yet again.

While Dmitry is busy with the coding of DD, I'll be helping out with another project that might interest some of you guys. A PC remake of the Spectrum version of Target: Renegade!

Take a look at http://www.screwyouhippy.com/tr/ for all the info.

[ This Message was edited by: Swainy on 2004-01-12 14:42 ]
  • edited January 2004
    Sonic is a dead project for more than 3 years now. :(
    As a young boy chasing dragons with my wooden sword so mighty
  • LCDLCD
    edited January 2004
    It is dead, but still alive in our memory ;). How about change the graphic of the main hero a bit and bring up tha game as "Moonic the cute sprite". Sega has its own problems, so they don't really care about fan-made games.
  • edited June 2007
    Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but I recently found a video of one of the last bits of code that was sent to me from the programmer before he vanished off the face of the earth. So I've decided to bung it up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg_9xy8NmQ

Before you ask, no I don't have the code anymore, I lost that a while back when my hard drive decided to die (the code was always crashing anyway - hence the very short clip) although I do of course still have all the graphics on CD should anyone ever want to start the project again.
  • edited June 2007
    Oh that looks 1000 times better than the original. Would be fab if someone else could give it another go and start the project again. Didn't JC Volunteer at one point? ;)
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, what little I did get to play of it felt a lot more like the arcade original. It would be nice if someone would rise to the challenge but I doubt it will ever happen now.
  • edited June 2007
    Is the demo from a few years ago not still available on the Retro Remakes old site? I think you can still get to the old site from the new one, and as far as I know DD Forever is still in the games list as a WIP, the website it's on has a lot of red text on it as I remember.

As far as I know I have the demo version on my PC back in England, but obviously that's no good as I'm about 4000 miles from there :D
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited June 2007
    It seems this isn't the first time some specchums started a project, had problems, and the project was never finished.
    Ego problems, lack of communication, I dunno. The Spanish guys don't have these kind of problems.
  • edited June 2007
    zxbruno wrote: »
    It seems this isn't the first time some specchums started a project, had problems, and the project was never finished.
    Ego problems, lack of communication, I dunno. The Spanish guys don't have these kind of problems.

It must be those afternoon naps they take.
  • edited June 2007
    Is the demo from a few years ago not still available on the Retro Remakes old site? I think you can still get to the old site from the new one, and as far as I know DD Forever is still in the games list as a WIP, the website it's on has a lot of red text on it as I remember.

As far as I know I have the demo version on my PC back in England, but obviously that's no good as I'm about 4000 miles from there :D

Double Dragon Forever is a different game, this is a remake of DD for the spectrum.
    Thanked by 1p13z
  • edited June 2007
    beanz wrote: »
    It must be those afternoon naps they take.

I'm afraid we too have our own share of vapourware and overambitious hype. Won't mention names as there are so many..

You're certainly right about the afternoon naps though.

J
  • edited June 2007
    Well if a Spanish programmer wants to take up the project, then by all means do :) Like I said before, the graphics and music are still waiting here to be used.
  • edited June 2007
    Are the graphics ready for all levels?
    If so, maybe you could make it make it public (able to download) so we could enjoy it. I'd really like to see it (although I can't promise I'll write the game).
  • edited June 2007
    Swainy wrote: »
    Double Dragon Forever is a different game, this is a remake of DD for the spectrum.

I thought that's what you were on about, but following those old links brought me to DD Forever pages. So I thought that might have been what you were on about. I still haven't seen the sprites for the Speccy version you were doing, is there any working links so that I could have a sly peeky?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited June 2007
    I thought that's what you were on about, but following those old links brought me to DD Forever pages. So I thought that might have been what you were on about. I still haven't seen the sprites for the Speccy version you were doing, is there any working links so that I could have a sly peeky?

Well there is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg_9xy8NmQ

If I were to upload the graphics then what format would be best?
  • edited June 2007
    Swainy wrote: »
    Well there is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg_9xy8NmQ

If I were to upload the graphics then what format would be best?

It depends if they're in some form of Speccy format or something that can be viewed with a paint package of some kind. I can pretty much view any paint package stuff. I can also view SCREEN$ and things as well, so I'd leave the format deciding up to you I supposes :)
  • edited June 2007
    Right, well here are most of the sprites: http://home.btconnect.com/gamestyle/zxdd_sprites/
  • edited June 2007
    zxbruno wrote: »
    errrm, the DD problem is called big ambitions.
    i was 'in' for a while...
  • edited June 2007
    Fikee wrote: »
    errrm, the DD problem is called big ambitions.
    i was 'in' for a while...

No chance of jumping back in then? :)
  • edited June 2007
    Nice looking sprites, pity there's no Abobo but still they look 300% better than the originals. Watched the video too looks pretty good and the music is there too, pity there was only enough for 7 seconds.

Also what sprite package did you use to draw those?

It looks Speccy based so I thunk I'd enquire?

It'd be really nice if somehow this could see the light of day, I can't offer my services really though, I can mod things, make simple POKEs, and draw sprites. I will learn some more code related things one day when I have a spare hour or 2 to myself (probably around about the time hell freezes over the way things are these days).

Good work though :) ......even if it is a lost cause :(
  • edited June 2007
    Actually Abobo is there: http://home.btconnect.com/gamestyle/zxdd_sprites/newsprite6f_walk.bmp

But I never got around to doing any other animation for him. I can't remember what package I used, but it was one of the convertors so I could also draw stuff up in Paint Shop Pro and port it across.
  • edited June 2007
    I wonder how many projects there are that have started and just faded into nothing. I'm going to dig out the graphics I've done for projects that have just Lord Lucan'd (yeah, JMK I'll still be converting those KO99 graphics for the Spectrum, sorry) and stick them on my website.

I was thinking about creating sets of graphics that programmers could use in their games as long as we get the full credit in the final product. If there's\ anything missing, then I could create what the want (or tweak the set graphics for their needs if they got in contact with me).

I recently found the sprites and mountain range graphics I created for that shmup that was doing the rounds in Development a while ago - I never heard from the programmer after an update with some of the graphics were going to be sent to me just to see how it was looking/working).
  • edited June 2007
    I think the problem is that although the graphics might be available and finished for a number of titles, it takes a lot of work to actually code a game. The graphics for all of my games took at most a week, but the code can sometimes take up to a year, or more even, especially as most of the coders here have full-time jobs, children, and other such "distractions" to keep them away from a game.

The emphasis should perhaps be the other way around - produce a list of games that should be written, re-written, or updated, and then see if any programmers want to come up with an engine to do it. Then, with the engine in place graphics & sound can be added to perhaps produce a number of games.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah I agree, I just wish I had the patience and time to learn how to code. I've now worked on the graphics for a few games and sadly so far not one of them has been finished 100%, it's very frustrating at times. Especially when the game is finished graphically.

I think me and redballoon need to find ourselves a programmer each to team up with. :)
  • edited June 2007
    I know very little about programming for the spectrum (or any computer for that matter), but might another approach be to modify an existing game? The general consesus appears to be that DD is crap but Target Renegade is rather good. I'm not suggesting that you take TR and just swap the graphics for DD themed ones, but surely you could re-use large sections of the code and still come up with a result that looked and felt substantially difference. As I said, I'm a layman, and it may be that in reality this approach would be more trouble than starting from scratch.