Who want to remake Double Dragon?

191011121315»

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Recently, I even considered learning to code (I'm a programmer by trade, see, graphic designer by freelance) but I just prefer doing graphics....and with a 10 month old son, there's only so much time I could dedicate to it and I'd just rather be doing the graphics, man.
  • edited June 2007
    Swainy, all the links you posted to the sprites give a 404 error :(
  • edited June 2007
    utopian wrote: »
    Swainy, all the links you posted to the sprites give a 404 error :(

Very strange, I'll upload them again when I get home from work tonight.
  • edited June 2007
    I know very little about programming for the spectrum (or any computer for that matter), but might another approach be to modify an existing game? The general consesus appears to be that DD is crap but Target Renegade is rather good. I'm not suggesting that you take TR and just swap the graphics for DD themed ones, but surely you could re-use large sections of the code and still come up with a result that looked and felt substantially difference. As I said, I'm a layman, and it may be that in reality this approach would be more trouble than starting from scratch.

This will not work. At first TR is split screen and DD is supossed to scroll (Beside the fact that is probably impossible to scroll a huge screen area with so many details as DD gfx has)

What is more important, the only thing you really can extract from TR is gfx engine. But game logic should be programmed from scratch.
    I would say there is maybe 30+ persons on WOS which are able to write decent gfx routines but only few who have time to play with game logic. It is the most ackward part of programming: you are supposed to do it continually to avoid lose track. Doing it in time when your girlfriend has headache is not very efficient :)

Btw. the lost source code is rather useless for anyone except the original author. The version i saw is .SCL image of some russian assembler with sources in its native format. And its documentation was far from perfect.

Swainy: hmm. and what was the last state of game ?
    i saw some background gfx converted from arcade. there was a huge number of tiles (512 or so) and some sprites, dont remember if it was a handwork or conversion too.
  • edited June 2007
    Fikee wrote: »
    This will not work. At first TR is split screen and DD is supossed to scroll (Beside the fact that is probably impossible to scroll a huge screen area with so many details as DD gfx has).

I still reckon you could get away with a flick screen version of the game, although obviously scrolling would be preferred.

Swainy: hmm. and what was the last state of game ?
    i saw some background gfx converted from arcade. there was a huge number of tiles (512 or so) and some sprites, dont remember if it was a handwork or conversion too.

In the end we decided to go against using the converted background graphics of the arcade. I re-drew the levels, which I believe were then broken down into tiles. I'm not sure what the final number was but it was less than using the arcades graphics. You will notice that there is no detail on the floor for example... This was done to save space. The version on show in that video was the last one I saw working, but it always crashed very early on in the first level.
  • edited June 2007
    swainy, i have to finish my bachelor thesis in these days. but if summer will be rainy then perhaps.. who knows :)
  • edited June 2007
    swainy, i have to finish my bachelor thesis in these days. but if summer will be rainy then perhaps.. who knows :)

That would be cool, no presure of course :)
  • edited June 2007
    Still 404 :(
  • edited June 2007
    Yes it seems that BT have migrated my site without giving me any details or any warning. I'll try to sort it out over the weekend and I'll post here once it's sorted.
  • edited June 2007
    Swainy wrote: »
    That would be cool, no presure of course :)

how big was game window supposed to be ?
    what is dimension of tiles ?
    what are dimensions of sprites ?
    what is maximum number of sprites on screen ?
    is that correct that when avatar is fighting with foes the scrolling is locked ?
    what are dimensions of tiles ?

i could do some quick computations and think about it when travelling from job home and so :)
  • edited June 2007
    Fikee, pm your email address and I'll send you everything I have for the project.
  • 2003. 17 years in the making.
    Last I heard of this didn't it have Baggers, Redballoon and Gasman involved?
    * I may have dreamt this bit, but that would be nice.
  • Sadly I think that it’s safe to say that it’s never going to happen. Jim is too busy with other things.
  • Yeah I'm sure these days people would probably have the Speccy Next titles he's working on than the dream game that's been in the works for almost 20 years :))

A Speccy redux of Double Dragon would be nice, but it seems like a cursed IP, but then again we got a Kung Fu Master redux a year or so back that was f*cking awesome, so maybe there's hope for DD yet?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!