Who want to remake Double Dragon?

Comments

• edited June 2003
    On 2003-06-15 22:07, Steve Halfpenny wrote:
    Kinda reminds me of a Dizzy background in fact (a GOOD Dizzy background ;)).

-P Ste H

haha sh*t maaaan! Don't mention that D word to Amigo, what with his 400th post looming 'n' all that. The last thing I want is reading the biography of D***Y on 'ere... I'd need a new monitor after putting my fist thro' the screen of that appearing ;)

ps. Nice work!
  • edited June 2003
    Brill stuff Amigo! Now, if only someone would actually code the game using the graphics u and swainy have come up with!
  • edited June 2003
    ( um, when i said that thing about being close to my 400th post, i had 399 posts, then the next day it was down to 394. are the forums going wacky or is someone oulling a fast one on me so ill never get to that 400th post? ;) like whenever i get too close they take away a few. hey, it wont stop me! if it goes on i'll just post a hube rant somewhere anyway! :D )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

thanks people, its okay i guess.

true, it's not many lightyears ahead, maybe just two or three :) ... cant believe i said that j/k. i think the original graphics are very good, it just lacks some detail and there's not much good use of colour, though i wouldnt say theres not much difference between the original and the one i did. not better/worse but i see a difference. i think the original graphics are just great actually, maybe they can be used for the remake just add detail to them, then make good use of colour.

i went for red cause i opted for gray on the floor, then gray stone woudlve been too much then you might say its "gray innit?", i only have so many colours to use, and the jaw door is already all yellow so the rock on the right side had to be ( for me anyway ) different otherwise it'd be too much yellow, unless it were meant to be some sandy stone or a desert theme or pyramids or whatever. so for me it had to be something else and i went for red, but also trying to get enough alternate black dots in there to fake a brownish look, but that works best with interlace, oh well. maybe i coulda done it in another colour, like in green and a bit of white to make those stones look like emeralds or something but i didnt put alot of thought into it, i just went ahead and didnt think much about it. i just did it for fun. i also tried to make alot of it look orange but it didnt work out great cause i decided to leave the insides as yellow to give it that rounded look, anyway, to each his own i guess.

@ Arjun :) - well like i said im not doing the backgrounds, i just did that one for fun but mostly to motivate someone else to do it. Anestis seem interested maybe he'll do it. i think hell do better than me anyway he did a great job on whatever was done with Sonic.

i have no time, and if i did id rather put my effort into an original game, although there are a couple other games i might not mind remaking for Spectrum or something that never came out on Spectrum like Mayhem ( C64 ), i figure if the C64 has the power to do it then so does the Spectrum, and it is a pretty good game, but i cant right now. Sid Spider comes first, then i was thinking on another, which i might do with David also if he has time otherwise hopefully maybe someone else wouldn't mind coding. im trying to learn in what spare time i have but im a MC retard, and wont be anywhere near good enough by then to do one by myself yet. I'm also looking into FigForth ( White Lightning ) as an alternative. Id like to be able to really just on myself to do something if i had to ( Like Jonathan for instance, he's a great coder and does good graphics and can pop out a tune too - i can write music but i refuse to use trackers :barf: ) but i cant code 'for real' just some basic and theres only so much you can do even compiling basic. but I still am not sure if after Sid i'll be able to really do any Spectrum stuff anymore. That might be the end of it who knows.

okay. but hey if you want to use that screen as a initial test and make a teeny demo to see how things work out feel free you have my consent.

once again best wishes.
  • edited June 2003
    Amigo, can you send me a bigger version of the screen? Also, as Amigo won't be able to do the rest (which is a shame, because that first screen is superb) is there anyone else willing to help out?

Regarding the original Spectrum version background graphics, well they were ok on two of the levels. Invade The Enemys Base & the Final level looked ok. However the rest of the games backgrounds were rushed. In the re make (if it happens) then I would like to try and get them as close to the arcade version as possible.

[ This Message was edited by: Swainy on 2003-06-16 23:21 ]
  • edited June 2003
    sure, what would you like? double size, triple size?
  • edited June 2003
    i think the original graphics are very good, it just lacks some detail and there's not much good use of colour, though i wouldnt say theres not much difference between the original and the one i did. not better/worse but i see a difference. i think the original graphics are just great actually, maybe they can be used for the remake just add detail to them, then make good use of colour.

The more I look at your shot the more I prefer it over the original. It looks more like a detailed loading screen than something in an actual game. I have to say though, I doubt we'd have seen something THAT close to the arcade in 1988 (MAME wasn't around then either :D). It's a shame that you won't be able to do anything more, I really like your work on that shot and I think that it was the right approach to DD.

For now though, someone else is needed! I'm supporting Swainy all the way on this one. It's a fantastic idea and just might spark interest so that people do their own ports, perhaps of games that never made it on the Speccy (I'm not not talking about Doom or something now, I mean stuff a bit more plausable. Super Double Dragon would be great for example).

-Steve

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Halfpenny on 2003-06-16 23:36 ]
  • edited June 2003
    On 2003-06-16 23:35, Steve Halfpenny wrote:
    I have to say though, I doubt we'd have seen something THAT close to the arcade in 1988 (MAME wasn't around then either :D).

i think youd be surprised what people could do if they wanted, even in 1988 ;)

thanks Steve for the nice words.

in case any of you missed it, Anestis showed interest on page 1 his site is HERE

this is his email:

akoutsou AT ceti.gr

he also has another email on his site. he says he thinks it should be monochrome but maybe you could convince him otherwise. He was working on the Sonic game. He's great. ( btw- on his site he has a section with screens of games that were not done on Spectrum that he thinks would be cool if they were )

Javier Alcaniz is also fantastic, at the moment he's doing 'More Tea, Vicar?' with Jonathan Cauldwell, who is the one i think Swainy said might give Double Dragon a shot at coding when he gets back from Greece. I don't know if Javier is too busy but you may want to ask him too. I think he also posted in this topic.

i think these guys are alot better than me anyway.

Jonathan's a great coder, consider yourselves fortunate if he decides to do it :) nice guy too, i did a couple loading screens for a couple of his programs, one being Egghead 3 and a game making program that's coming out soon hopefully, at www.cronosoft.co.uk

there's also plenty of great graphicians hanging around here. one other i remember is one guy that has a site where he just does screens of 'would be' games for spectrum, and they are quite good, many are very very good. just look around the forums. in one of the forums theres a couple topics that go by "fake screenshots" and "more fake screenshots" i think, thatd be a good place to start.

Yerz might like to do the music, you could ask him. if you dont know who that is most here do i think im sure you could get a hold of him. otherwise like i said before maybe you could use the original music. theres some utiliy to play AY files on spectrum, i suppose they get converted to TAP and if so i think that the music is pretty much covered.

okay, well ill wait for Swainy to tell me what size he wants the screen then im outta here for good. need to get on with it.

• edited June 2003
    On 2003-06-16 23:25, Amigo wrote:
    sure, what would you like? double size, triple size?

Double please Amigo! Cheers mate.
  • edited June 2003
    okay, Swainy - here you go pal :)

Double Dragon x 2

I'll leave it up for a while.

Best wishes with everything. I hope to play your remake in time, which I'm sure will be great! I'll try to keep track on it. a webpage for it would be sweet :)

Thanks to everyone at the forums that were cool to me and helpful all this time. I won't forget who you are. It's been a pleasure with you guys around. I won't be coming back I don't think ( maybe just to the archives :D and maybe upload somethings not here from time to time ) but I'll not stop enjoying the Speccy. I do very much and hope to continue. Depends where destiny takes me. I won't be checking for replies.

I'm glad I was able to help someone with my last post. Insomnia is a bastard so it's time to get my zzzzs now, been up all night it's now 8:50am. Best wishes and good luck to all, with your projects and personal lives. :cry:

- tommy pereira :)

bye friends

• edited June 2003
    I don't believe it, he's actually gone! :(
    He was the most interesting poster recently as well, it's a darn shame...
    Oh, and everybody knows that BadBeard loves Dizzy, as we all do. ;)
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited June 2003
    Ok, here's the same screen shot with two sprites added:

http://www.gamestyle.net/rimages/DD_ZX_SCRA.gif

If I find a new graphic artist and a programmer then I'll start up a website for the project.

Oh, here's a screen from the original DD on the Speccy at the same point:

http://www.gamestyle.net/rimages/ORIGINALDD.gif

[ This Message was edited by: Swainy on 2003-06-17 18:01 ]
  • edited June 2003
    what hapen here?!?! why he is gone?
  • edited June 2003
    He wants 400 posts to remain in his account forever?

If that's what the big build up was all about it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he got so over-enthusiastic about it.
  • edited June 2003
    Hmm, what a nice project..
    I've seen an excellent Amigo's work, so I thought: what if...
    So I've just converted the first screen of original arcade screenshots, and then redrew some details and added color. You can see a result here:
    http://www.hot.ee/moroz1999/dd1m.png
    http://www.hot.ee/moroz1999/dd1m2x.png
    I used such pc programs: zxgfx for drawing scr files and ulead photoimpact for conversion. It took about 3 hours to finish it.
    If You will like it, I can make some more (may be all:])

[ This Message was edited by: moroz1999 on 2003-06-18 00:10 ]
  • edited June 2003
    I think that looks excellent myself! Again, makes me think of what might have been if the Spectrum was really pushed and they'd have spent time on these conversions. This shot reminds me of how much colour Ocean got away with in Shadow Warriors.

-Steve

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Halfpenny on 2003-06-18 00:37 ]
  • edited June 2003
    Wow! Awesome stuff! Compared to the original, the new graphics from Swainy, Amigo and Moroz simply rock! Hope somebody really really gets around to coding this!
  • edited June 2003
    If You will like it, I can make some more (may be all:])

Yes please!!!!

• edited June 2003
    I can also help with some coding and porting them for russian clones (I mean TR-DOS version)
    I can also make a support for General Sound (I have already made it for FIST, BARBARIAN, SOFT&CUDDLY and GREEN BERET)
    P.S. TR-DOS is a floppy disc standard most common for russian clones (Scorpion, Pentagon, Profi)
    P.P.S. General Sound is an awesome soundcard with its own memory (466Kb) and Zilog processor, which can play 4-channel Amiga modules and 8-bit sound samples. (emulated by Z80 Stealth and Unreal)
  • edited June 2003
    Cool. It would be great if we could get some music in there.

One thing I should say moroz1999, is I think your background looks a little too large for my sprites (the car looks way too big) Would it be possible to scale them down a touch?
  • edited June 2003
    Anyone actually bothered to check the legality of this yet?
  • edited June 2003
    Swainy: That's a good question. I think I can redraw something to make them smaller and I'll try to do so.
    Cyborg: I think this is completely legal until we do not want to make money on this.
  • edited June 2003
    On 2003-06-18 12:39, moroz1999 wrote:
    I think this is completely legal until we do not want to make money on this.
    So you're going to give it away for free, and you think that's legal? I think the truth's a bit more complicated than that.
  • edited June 2003
    Cyborg: I think this is completely legal until we do not want to make money on this.

So very wrong.

If you knew anything about WOS you'd know that.

I suggest you read the copyright page.
  • edited June 2003
    On 2003-06-18 10:08, moroz1999 wrote:
    P.P.S. General Sound is an awesome soundcard with its own memory (466Kb) and Zilog processor, which can play 4-channel Amiga modules and 8-bit sound samples. (emulated by Z80 Stealth and Unreal)
    It's a pity that General Sound wasn't available as some huge add-on that could go in the back of the speccy expansion port. Those eastern clones have seen so many interesting developments.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited June 2003
    I have read Copyrights page and didn't found anything about remakes (with fully rewritten code and redrawn graphic) and given out for free. The only thing is an original idea, but this wont be the first game clone(we can even change the name of remake: something like "triple dragon":). And I don't mean earning ANY money or making profit on this project.
    Please write me CONCRETELY what is wrong with remakes and we will stop this useless discussion.
  • edited June 2003
    Yeah if the worst comes to the worst, we can change the name and some of the the graphics. All we want to do is give Spectrum owners a decent version of a classic game.
  • edited June 2003
    One title:

"Great Giana Sisters"
  • edited June 2003
    Do you want us to remake that too? :)
  • edited June 2003
    "GGS" is a good example, but Rainbow Arts planned to make a profit from it, and we do not. This is a difference.
  • edited June 2003
    It wouldn't be so bad if Technos hadn't recently reappeared. Also in case you don't know, Double Dragon Advance will be out before the year is through with all new versions of DD on the consoles appearing as soon as next year.

Personally, I can't see a major problem if Doom and Mortal Kombat are up on WOS (though far from finished). Furthermore, until Technos complains about the official DDs being on here, I wouldn't worry.

-P Ste H

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Halfpenny on 2003-06-18 18:58 ]