Booty - completable?

edited April 2009 in Games
I'm recording a new Booty RZX for the RZX Archive, but am wondering if the game just loops around forever. I got all the treasure, then found the Gold key, then I got all the treasure again, and again found a Gold key.

NickH mentioned a Gold, Silver, and Bronze key in a post in this thread, but the instructions don't mention them, nor can I find any other reference to them.

The first post in this thread seems to confirm my suspicions:
"In the good old days of the Spectrum, lot of games did not have an ending. Once you completed the game you went straight back to the start again. Like booty after finding all the items and the golden key you went straight back to the start again."

Does anyone know for sure if the game ever ends?
Post edited by Mousey on

Comments

• edited April 2009
    I don't think it does ever end, no. Which for a game of it's era isn't such a bad thing. :)

With regards to the silver and bronze keys, I don't have my original copy anymore unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure that they were referenced on the instructions inside the inlay for the 'silver 199 range' re-release that I had. Unfortunately there's no way to confirm that on the archive at the moment, as it only shows the outside of the inlay.
  • edited April 2009
    ToxieDogg wrote: »
    With regards to the silver and bronze keys, I don't have my original copy anymore unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure that they were referenced on the instructions inside the inlay for the 'silver 199 range' re-release that I had.

That's the release I bought, so is probably where I read it. Maybe it's like that in the (original?) C64 version.
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks for your input guys. For now I'll assume it loops round forever getting Gold keys. If someone proves otherwise and shows Booty does have an ending then I'd be only too delighted to see it!
  • edited April 2009
    The instrutions in the white/silver Firebird version:

Jim the Cabin Boy must make his way below decks to collect various items of booty (automatically picked up when he walks past it ) strewn around the ship.
    When you have collected all the items from the Black Galleon's 20 holds, you will be given 45 seconds to locate the Bronze key to the next pile of booty. Clearing all booty a second and third (impossible!) time causes a search for the Silver and Gold keys, each increasing the game's speed and hazards.
    Jim will meet an untimely death if he falls through a trap door, drowns, is bitten by a ship's rat, or pecked by one of the Captain's parrots, or cut down by a Ghost Pirate, or blown up (some pieces of booty are booby-trapped so step lively, mates) or steps through a hold door into mid-air (heh! heh!).

So it looks like the rzx isn't complete or there are two different versions of Booty. Or they didn't have time to put in three keys so they just made it loop instead of getting harder.
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited April 2009
    VincentAC wrote: »
    When you have collected all the items from the Black Galleon's 20 holds, you will be given 45 seconds to locate the Bronze key to the next pile of booty. Clearing all booty a second and third (impossible!) time causes a search for the Silver and Gold keys, each increasing the game's speed and hazards.

So it looks like the rzx isn't complete or there are two different versions of Booty. Or they didn't have time to put in three keys so they just made it loop instead of getting harder.
    Thanks for typing the inlay up. I agree with your "didn't have time" comment, and had already thought the same myself. The first key you find is gold (and it says find the "Gold" key in the on screen text), and the second key is still gold. The game doesn't get any faster or harder either - it's exactly the same second time around!
  • edited April 2009
    Mousey wrote: »
    Thanks for typing the inlay up. I agree with your "didn't have time" comment, and had already thought the same myself. The first key you find is gold (and it says find the "Gold" key in the on screen text), and the second key is still gold. The game doesn't get any faster or harder either - it's exactly the same second time around!
    No probs.

I was just going to type up the middle paragraph but I thought I'd be aswell doing the whole thing. Good job I'd gone through my tapes a few weeks ago getting out some of the duplicates :-D

I've never really played it that much so I never got all the booty and had to find the gold key. I guess they just didn't get round to doing the bronze/silver keys and making it harder.
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited April 2009
    It's also likely that they didn't expect many people to finish it, and probably even less to finish it multiple times so they thought that they'd gotten away with it....only to be rumbled, decades later :lol:
  • edited April 2009
    Hi there,

Some years before I was wonder how to enter in the secret game (why only with Currah or a POKE) then I disassembled.

Unfortunately this game has no end. Loop forever.

About golden key: The position is not random, its place is always the 75th collected key position (50 left).

Key(No.6) bug in a room: One place there is key very near to a door. Sometimes you can stuck between two doors without key. This POKEs move the key (No. 6) to a better position: 44524,14 and 44525,11

Walkthrougth all doors: POKE 60576,0 60577,0

Bugs? Who knows. You can find lots of part like this or others.

LD HL,fontbuffer
    LD DE,$FFFB
    LD BC,$0064
    LDIR
    RET

Pgyuri
  • edited April 2009
    Pgyuri wrote: »
    Bugs? Who knows. You can find lots of part like this or others.

LD HL,fontbuffer
    LD DE,$FFFB
    LD BC,$0064
    LDIR
    RET
    Interesting post Pgyuri, especially about the golden key position, although I have no idea what that piece of code means?
  • jpjp
    edited April 2009
    Mousey wrote: »
    Interesting post Pgyuri, especially about the golden key position, although I have no idea what that piece of code means?

It's attempting to copy stuff beyond the boundary of upper memory
  • edited April 2009
    Hi again,

I forget to write this point: The birds and the rats come closer after 100th collected treasure.

Bug...not bug but interesting: when you enter into the trap, you should hear a sound-effect...but the programmer forgot to write it :)

and many-many more...

Checking any source code shows you many interesting thing about programmers. Sometimes you can find bugs, sometimes you can find unforgetable procedures, graphics, source codes. I like it.

Pgyuri