Image to ZX Spec 1.0 Released

edited May 2009 in Announcements
Image to ZX Spec 1.0 is now available.

Image to ZX Spec allows you to:

- Convert JPEGS or GIFs to a ZX Spectrum slideshow (tap file).
- Convert JPEGS or GIFs to a ZX Spectrum SCREEN image (.scr file).
- Create retro art work, any size image can be "Spectrumized" (.png file).
- Choose from four processing methods as to how the images will be converted.
- Convert an entire directory of images, with previews.

Here's a preview from an earlier version showing black and white conversion (colour is also available :) )

bttf.gif

For more details and downloads (including source) see
http://silentdevelopment.blogspot.com/2009/05/image-to-zx-spec-10-released.html

Apologies for cross post (release note in misc thread on this subject too)
Post edited by brownb2 on

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Thanks! I tested the utility a few minutes ago and it's looking great. Here's some feedback:

-The resize to 256x192 option, does it maintain proportions? It should do it by adding empty space where needed. If a colour for the empty space can't be specified in this version it could use white as a default. We could always change the the colour later using Basin's Screen$ editor or a similar utility.

-The input folder is selected by clicking 'open', but the output folder is selected by clicking 'save'. Shouldn't it be 'save' or 'select' on both?

-The input/output folder is great for batch processing but not that great if I only want to convert one file. If I have one file on a folder with hundreds more and I want to convert it, I'm forced to create a new folder and move or copy the file to it. There should be the option to select one or more files on a folder, not just the whole folder.

-When processing several images the user might want to pause or even cancel the process. For now it isn't possible.

-I got a 'guru meditation: null' error in the middle of the conversion process, but after clicking 'ok' it continued the process and in the end all the converted files looked ok.

-Your utility attempted to convert a .gif that had animation frames. It converted the first frame but the program almost crashed. There was some corruption on the original image preview on the left side, but on the right it showed the successful conversion of the first frame.

-Any chance on implementing the ability to select the 256x192 area to be converted?

That's all for now. Look forward to see the development of this utility.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks for trying the software!
    zxbruno wrote: »
    -The resize to 256x192 option, does it maintain proportions? It should do it by adding empty space where needed. If a colour for the empty space can't be specified in this version it could use white as a default. We could always change the the colour later using Basin's Screen$ editor or a similar utility.
    Most of the options are limited because designing the UI takes me the most time (and I need to refactor a lot of the existing UI code to add new functionality - it's okay for the small number of options it has now), but I can add a new drop down menu option "Keep proportional" or something to that effect short term.
    -The input folder is selected by clicking 'open', but the output folder is selected by clicking 'save'. Shouldn't it be 'save' or 'select' on both?
    I don't have much choice with this unless I start using custom UI widgets, it's either open or save, as traditionally you open a file, then convert and save it I used that option.
    -The input/output folder is great for batch processing but not that great if I only want to convert one file. If I have one file on a folder with hundreds more and I want to convert it, I'm forced to create a new folder and move or copy the file to it. There should be the option to select one or more files on a folder, not just the whole folder.
    Well the other option would be to select multiple files for batches - I just like the idea of selecting a directory, but noted - I'll have a think about it.
    -When processing several images the user might want to pause or even cancel the process. For now it isn't possible.
    Yeah I did want to add a popup window with progress bar too, so this is definitely one I'll be looking to add in future.
    -I got a 'guru meditation: null' error in the middle of the conversion process, but after clicking 'ok' it continued the process and in the end all the converted files looked ok.
    That's one of my bug handlers - guru medition harks back to an Amiga crashing error message, I just thought it'd be more retro. The null is suggestive something is not being set correctly - I suspect this may be related to the anim gif since I've not had this error.

-Your utility attempted to convert a .gif that had animation frames. It converted the first frame but the program almost crashed. There was some corruption on the original image preview on the left side, but on the right it showed the successful conversion of the first frame.
    Very large images will also crash the app since there may not be enough memory (by default it uses up to 64 MB) - although there is a fix to use whatever you like. I'm surprised the app handled anim gifs so well - it uses the underlying Java GIF library to load them and display them on the left hand side, the right hand side is my code ;) Yes, I would say for the moment don't use anim gifs would be the answer.

-Any chance on implementing the ability to select the 256x192 area to be converted?
    Probably - I know you've asked for this before. It shouldn't be too hard but it a few evenings work.

I'm taking a small break from development on it for a few days, but I'll still take feedback from various WOS members as to features/changes/bugs and implement them when I get back to it. I'm trying to avoid coding burnout - starting too many features and never finishing them leaving software in an incomplete state.

Critical bugs - any that break functionality - are an exception to this and I usually fix them quickly - if the null is repeatable with a certain image please send it/provide me the link and I'll fix the bug. I should really add logging next time around so I can get the complete error message....
  • edited May 2009
    Like a wise man (Woody) once said, "Silence is deafening".

I didn't forget about this one. I'll try to re-create the null problem again and identify the file that causes it.
  • edited May 2009
    Like a wise man (Woody) once said, "Silence is deafening".

I didn't forget about this one. I'll try to re-create the null problem again and identify the file that causes it.

Probably best a new thread is started in development or PM me :)