How to connect a computer monitor to a Spectrum ?

edited June 2009 in Hardware
Is it possible to connect a computer monitor to a Spectrum 48K ?
An how to do it. What is needed ?
Reason: I live in Denmark and here you MUST pay TV-licence if you have a TV-set. Even if you have an old black and white 30-Year old TV in the Cellar and have not used it for Years.
Rearly - I don't have a TV-set and I don't want it.
Can you help ?
Regards
Tommy
Post edited by Tommy F-H on

Comments

• edited May 2009
    The best way is to use a VGA to video adapter with TV receiver inside. You can easily find someone from China selling thru Ebay. The cost is not low (about 70 eur) and you should be careful to buy the version with the TV tuner inside (not all models have one).

Or you can find an used, cheap, TV card for your PC, but the video quality is very low.

Anyway, *any* card or box with TV features inside (e.g. a TV PC card or the adapter above) could need the payment for TV-licence.

There's another chance. If you want to modify your Spectrum and keep your video-composite signal outside, you can also use a PC capture card or the VGA to video adapter described above, but without the TV receiver inside (cheaper, about 40-50 eur).
  • edited May 2009
    On a standard 48K the only video output is the RF (TV) out, but see http://user.tninet.se/~vjz762w/rebuild.html for some internal mods you can make to get composite video or S-Video output.

If you want to use a VGA monitor, you'll need an additional box called a "scan doubler". I don't have the details to hand though, and they're not cheap...
  • edited May 2009
    Would it not be easier to just buy a TV licence? :D
  • edited May 2009
    What about a VGA Box on the later models? (128K and +2/+2A/+3)
  • edited May 2009
    gasman wrote: »
    If you want to use a VGA monitor, you'll need an additional box called a "scan doubler". I don't have the details to hand though, and they're not cheap...

They aren't *that* expensive, about ?30 for the Farmer VGA box (although you may need a small amount of circuitry for a rubber key machine, you need to feed it YPbPr component video).
  • edited June 2009
    i know im a bit late to this thread but here goes any way. Im in the same situation here inthe uk and i had the tv tuner on my tv de-activated and run everything through the scart socket dvd,xbox etc. which left me unable to use older machines that required the rf socket. so i checked on ebay and there is someone on there who sells custom made scart cables for older machines. Im prety sure they had one listed for the spectrumm but i havent checked yet. I used them when ordering a scart for my megadrive and the cable was top quality and the service was realy good.

i think the name of the ebayer is pcenginesales and they are based here in the uk but will probably post throughout europe.

hope that is of some help. :-P
  • edited June 2009
    just checked ebay it seems i was mistaken only listed c64 cable not spectrum and looking at that listing for the c64 it says must have 8 pin video out socket on machine. so thats my idea ruined. :(
  • Just tell the TV Licence man to f*** off.They try to tell you this in the UK - if you own a TV you need a license. It's not true - you only need a license if you are set up to receive broadcast channels in any way. If you are using your TV with a device such as a DVD player or games console, you dont need one.

Another fact they dont want you to know, is the TV Licence officers have NO RIGHT OF ENTRY into your home. If they say they're going to come in and do a search, you can say "No, youre not". The only way they could gain entry is with a court order - which they won't get.
  • Blimey...

54393164.jpg
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • TV licence rip-off is a particular irk of mine ;)
  • Obviously necro-posting doesn't irk you though, as your last 4 answers has all been threads that are over 6+ years old. 8-}
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • i was bored ;) plus others may read historical threads looking for good answers
  • Well, I suppose it's (slightly) better than being bored and starting threads about going to other peoples houses and taking a dump. :))
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • I know this is an old thread, but I am very interested in how to get my Spectrums through the PC and into the monitor. What exactly is this device called?
  • Old CRT sets with analogue tuners must be exempt from a telly license now here in the UK. Isn't the old UHF tv freq's being used for 4G?
  • Seeker wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I am very interested in how to get my Spectrums through the PC and into the monitor. What exactly is this device called?

Old TV tuner cards could do this but it would have to be an older device with an analogue UHF PAL 50hz receiver, and be compatible with a good media player like VLC. Newer freeview/digital tuners aren't compatible. If you were to composite mod a Spectrum, then there are some cheap USB devices like one's for digitalizing old video tapes which connect up via composite, but unsure about the software they use if it's just for recording or playthrough.

I know this is an old thread, but I am very interested in how to get my Spectrums through the PC and into the monitor. What exactly is this device called?

Old TV tuner cards could do this but it would have to be an older device with an analogue UHF PAL 50hz receiver, and be compatible with a good media player like VLC. Newer freeview/digital tuners aren't compatible. If you were to composite mod a Spectrum, then there are some cheap USB devices like one's for digitalizing old video tapes which connect up via composite, but unsure about the software they use if it's just for recording or playthrough.

Thanks!
    Do these USB devices have lag?
    Seeker wrote: »

Thanks!
    Do these USB devices have lag?

I had one of these when they first came out, can't remember the make but it was called a video grabber. I don't remember it lagging, but the software was very simple that came with it, like a basic Windows Movie-Maker on old WinXP.

• Old CRT sets with analogue tuners must be exempt from a telly license now here in the UK. Isn't the old UHF tv freq's being used for 4G?
    No, I don't expect analogue tuner TVs are exempt. As in theory you may be able to pick up a signal from a non-UK broadcaster. Or use another device that can receive a digital signal and decode it so that an older TV can display it.
    Most of the UHF TV band is still used for digital TV transmission. Only a relatively small number of transmission channels have been used for mobile phone services.

Mark
  • I know it is an old thread. But I have a recent alternative. :)

It appears there are a lot of small resolution projectors available nowadays, starting from 30p. For example on Amazon. Some have composite video input.. They offer output native resolutions starting from 320x200 which should do for most 8 bits from that period.
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    No, I don't expect analogue tuner TVs are exempt. As in theory you may be able to pick up a signal from a non-UK broadcaster. Or use another device that can receive a digital signal and decode it so that an older TV can display it.

If you aren't doing that it's exempt, but then it was already.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • tstih wrote: »
    It appears there are a lot of small resolution projectors available nowadays, starting from 30p. For example on Amazon. Some have composite video input.. They offer output native resolutions starting from 320x200 which should do for most 8 bits from that period.

I would say, be wary of cheap/pocket projectors. They might be fine, maybe the cost of projector bulbs has crashed through the floor. But the specs are often a complete lie when it comes to brightness, and cheap brands probably use cheap and nasty COB LEDs which are unlikely to be bright enough to make an image bigger than a small TV, have poor colour reproduction, and then die bit by bit.

So order from Amazon if you are going to take the risk, as returning it is straight forward. And don't expect it to last, there is a reason a decent projector bulbs are expensive to replace, and why they cost more than £150.