Image to ZX Spec 1.0.3 Released

edited July 2009 in Announcements
Available for download at http://silentdevelopment.blogspot.com/2009/05/image-to-zx-spec-10-released.html or try online via Java Webstart (see my last post below).

mjackson.png

Also I forgot to mention - all image processing options can be changed on the fly.

Changes
Version 1.0.3
- New options dialog
- New dithering options (including Low Error Atkinson)
- New jpeg image export option
- New pre-processing options such as brightness, contrast etc.
- New image scaling options (proportional scaling)
- Monochrome image mode with colour selection
- Small code refactor, improvements in speed on some operations
(speed is not a priority at the moment).

Version 1.0.2 (Internal build only)
- Numerous new dithering algorithms added
- Small bug fixes
Post edited by brownb2 on

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Looking good. :)
  • edited July 2009
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Looking good. :)

Cheers. I've been working on 1.0.4/5 and done some obvious things to improve speed - like disable tap and scr export by default (doh - they were left on by default in 1.0.3 - although you can switch them off). This improves conversion speed by about 25%.
    I'm basically doing a point/iteration release a week/fortnight - features in progress (in order of estimated completion):
    - Ordered Dither.
    - Single image preview and conversion.
    - Image region selection.
    - Interactive mode - multiple conversion of the same image with different settings, you click the one you like (and train...)
    - Following on from interactive mode, replacing the interactive element with a NN (Encog) - it remains to be seem how successful this will be so I may drop it :/ I also think this may turn a 60K program into a 60MB program with training data....
  • edited July 2009
    I've Webstart enabled Image to ZX Spec, so if you just want to give it a try online just click the link.

Please note you will need Java 6 (I've not tried it on earlier versions) and will need to accept (click "run") when a dialog appears about its digital signature being unverified (I don't have an expensive third party certificate to use instead which would remove this). You don't have to tick the "Always trust" option - I probably wouldn't :smile:
  • edited July 2009
    1.0.4 (work in progress) now supports 14 different dithering modes (including 6 ordered dithers). In terms of uniqueness it has 11 algorithms/distributions.

A few 1.0.4 screenshots as usual (I'm not having to cherry pick as much :lol: - these are all ordered dithers):

Colours are slightly brighter due to high defaults for ordered dither matrices (up to +60 on a colour channel, I'll probably make this adjustable).

shuttle.png
    shuttle2.png
    shuttle3.png
    indy.png

A slideshow .tap of ALL images I'm using to test it on is available here http://mirror.viperfang.net/silentdevelopments/downloads/imagetozxspec/Img2ZXSpec.zip. Note - as the images are all done in the same dither mode some are not quite as clear as they could be.
  • edited July 2009
    Love this program!

Have one major nag though ... I selected a folder with close to 200 pics not knowing that it was going to be a batch-conversion :-x

Would love it if one were able to to just select one pic at a time, then tinker with the settings.

Excellent work though!
  • edited July 2009
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    Love this program!

Have one major nag though ... I selected a folder with close to 200 pics not knowing that it was going to be a batch-conversion :-x

Would love it if one were able to to just select one pic at a time, then tinker with the settings.

Excellent work though!

I apologise if you tried the online version prior to 20:00 GMT (11 July) - you may find the stupid thing (Java 6 Webstart) has put an "Image to ZX Spec" entry in your Add/Remove on Windows. This is a royal pain in the bum and makes the software look like malware - especially as if you try to remove it via the add/remove options Java fails with a lame and useless cannot remove error message. Java 5 never used to do this :-(
    To remove it from the Add/Remove you will need to click "Java" in the control panel (not in the Add/Remove dialog) and then click the "General" tab. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" click the "Settings" button. In the new dialog click the "Delete files" button. This will rid you of ALL cached Java webstart apps and applets and remove them from the Add/Remove panel (you may need to reopen the Add/Remove panel). Clicking "View" instead of the "Settings" will allow you to delete individual Java apps if you want to do it that way instead. See screenshots below for reference

jws1.gifjws2.gif

I've actually fixed the online Webstart option on the site to not cache for offline use now - specifically I removed the "offline allowed" flag (see here for more details http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html ) that was causing this, however if you've already used the online link you will need to clear your browser cache or it will use the old webstart definition and try and put it in your Add/Remove again.

Apologies once again - I didn't know Java Webstart's behaviour had changed since version 5 :-(
  • edited July 2009
    Am having fun with this prog ... fun that one can do this with the original size pics ... not bad outcome ... well ... whatever ... I'm having fun :-)

Fewsieszx.png
  • edited July 2009
    Theres a few self portraits in there...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited July 2009
    karingal wrote: »
    Theres a few self portraits in there...

The whole page is actually filled with faces but the prog's not picking them up ... the voices I've mentioned before ... them's there spillin' over the pages.