What's on your saucer?

Comments

• edited April 30
    Vampyre wrote: »
    I haven't got a picture of the final curry but I thought I'd share this anyway:

https://glebekitchen.com/indian-restaurant-dopiaza-curry/

For years I've been making home-made curries, which are far superior to the crap you get in jars, and 99% have been great but all have been lacking that final restaurant quality. Some have been close but fall a smidgen short. That is until I made the curry in that link on Monday - it's spot-on. Easily in the my top-five curries.

There's a bit of work to it in the prep as you have to make a curry base first, but freeze that and you'll have enough for a good 7 or 8 further curry sessions. The second step, the restaurant spice mix, takes about five minutes to make and, again, will last for a few sessions. Cooking the final curry itself is a doddle and takes less than half-an-hour.

Give it a try whilst we're in the lock-down. You won't regret it.

I quite like a Dopiaza when I'm not searing the roof of my mouth off with something hot and ridiculous I've made. I'll have to give this one a whirl sometime soon, as I've eaten all my curry stuff I had recently, but I still have some leftover samosas, popadums, and a few naan breads.

Same here, love a nice, hot curry but my backside hates me the day after :-) Site also has a Madras I'll try next week

https://glebekitchen.com/indian-restaurant-madras-curry/
    Post edited by Vampyre on
  • edited April 30
    Double post.
    Post edited by Vampyre on
  • Well, I made another burger last night. I didn't really want one, but I had some minced beef and bacon where the Best Before date was yesterday - and I still had two burger buns left from that pack of four - and the spinach was still god too, so although I didn't really want a burger I decided to make one anyway to not have to throw food out.
    So all things told it's a pretty ordinary burger this time, but I decided to post it since it looks great, lol.

... but 3 burgers in a week has cured my burger-cravings for a while, so that last bun goes into the trash :))

42elgLh.jpg
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Could have had a fried egg in that last bun...
    > what a waste <
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • joefish wrote: »
    Could have had a fried egg in that last bun...
    > what a waste <
    Well, I didn't throw it out yet :))

My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
  • Send it to Mike aka Atomic Shrimp ... he could make good use of it.

• A Pot Noodle sandwich.
    potnoodlesandwich.jpg
    It has to be made with toast, in order to maintain structural integrity.

(Sticky rib flavour, in case you were wondering.)

Nope, can't get my head round it. I do like Pot Noodles but only the beef and tomato ones. I much prefer Koka noodles which are mega cheap and nasty but actually quite filling and have better flavours.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Koka noodles ... lemme guess, the seasoning powder is white and very addictive? 8-}
  • Never tried Koka noodles, but this is my favorite type. They have a great taste (all things considered) ;)

3563_6.jpg
  • Well, I'm sure you and me, we eat those noodles the proper way. Young 'uns however, they eat just the uncooked noodles like a snack, I've seen it multiple times! Also the German kids here (interns/apprentices at work) all seem to mispronounce the name as if it was a German word: they say "Yoom Yoom" despite me telling them it's English and means "tasty".
  • edited April 30
    0340430e-0246-4f81-8dab-e98323e6b26e_1.741acfc9f06cea3593e00c7c116999ec.jpeg

These are the most common ones round here I suppose, they're OK for a quick fix, but actually quite nice if you do like the pic from the Duck Ramen above with them.

I like to get 2 packs of noodles, only use 1 seasoning packet with the 2 packs, and then hard boil the water so it's insanely hot. Then I'll throw the noodles in there for a few minutes with the seasoning, and just before I turn it off lob in the meat near the top, and poke it around a bit for a minute or two, then take it out and set it aside. Then I like to get a big bowl and pour in the noodles, and throw in veggies on top, and add the meat back in, and just let it sit for a few minutes (Obviously use pre-cooked meat, raw meat is not an option, unless you're Korean, or Japanese, and know how to do this big bowl of Ramen thing correctly), and the heat from the broth continues to warm the meat and warms the veggies through without losing the texture from overheating or basically boiling them.

There is a brand you can get here called Shin Ramyun, which are supposedly legit Japanese Ramen Noodles, and are supposed to be really good, but I can't justify spending close to $2 on instant noodles, kind of defeats the purpose really...
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited April 30
    Damn you Sokurah, look what you just made me do. First actual picture post of mine in a very long time and it's not even a saucer ...
    EyWmCaz.jpg
    Shin Ramyun
    Is that the evil overpowered secret boss in soon-to-come Street Fighter 6?

Post edited by XTM of TMG on
  • :)) :)) :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • joefish wrote: »
    Could have had a fried egg in that last bun...
    > what a waste <
    Sokurah wrote: »
    Well, I didn't throw it out yet :))
    Well my favourite egg-related trick with a bread bun is to find a nice thick one, and cut it into three layers. I may have already described this here, but here's a reminder.

You very lightly toast and butter the top and bottom slice, and add ketchup and pinch of salt to both. The middle slice you tear a big hole in, start to fry it, flip it over and break an egg into the hole. Fry that and flip it over again. Get the bread crispy and not burned and the egg yolk still runny, then re-assemble your stack.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • That will require as much stack trickery as Buzzsaw!
  • Well don't point this stack at the screen unless you want ketchup and egg yolk all over it!
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Now I'm wondering what happens if you put some crispy bacon strips just under the egg layer and some large mushroom slices fried in tarragon and marjoram just above the egg layer...
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • I love a big stack! :))
  • Today's dinner - an Iceland frozen chicken dinner.

FiSwGl8.jpg
  • edited June 1
    My favourite alternative to Pot Noodles are Soba noodles. They cost a bit more but are really worth it. And don't let the name fool you; you can also eat them when p*ssed!

They come in a pot with a coloured plastic lid with holes in. You pour in boiling water and leave for a bit as usual, but then you grip the lid on tightly and drain out all the remaining water.
    They come with a much bigger pack of oil-based sauce flavouring that you then stir in. The Yakisoba and Chilli ones are really quite tasty!
    Post edited by joefish on
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Pasta Alfresco. Cooked on the mountains with a camping stove, eaten on the mountains watching the sun go down. Our Anniversary meal.

101943142_10220886525645482_5981334480483254272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=mbzAkN-Xc0wAX8aUoIa&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.fna&oh=5f9926fdc3a730d2333ca87bb89ee604&oe=5F00A779
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Contender for the subcategory "most socially distanced saucer" in the next saucer awards!
  • edited June 5
    Last night's special: Sofrito-Style Mature Aberdeen Angus Steak with Greek Roast Potatoes.

pva40I2.jpg?1

The spuds are cut into big wedges, put in a pyrex dish, and sprinkled with salt, pepper, oregano and marjoram. I then used some orange-infused olive oil but you can pour over some regular olive oil and a dash of lemon juice. Then add water to the bottom of the dish, roll the wedges over in it a few times, and put in the oven at 200°C.
    (And if you're not having garlic in your main dish, you can add some to the spuds instead).

The steak is seasoned with salt and pepper, dredged in flour and quickly fried on both sides in hot olive oil, then removed from the pan.
    2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped, added to the pan, then loads of parsley, beef gravy stock, dash of balsamic (or even ordinary) vinegar and a good glass of white wine, bring to simmer and put the steak back in.

Turn over those potatoes in the oven dish again and maybe add a little water if there's only oil left, then put them back in the oven. And just leave it all for half an hour.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Looks delish!
    But I'd say it's crying out for a nice fresh green veg to compliment it.
    Maybe some quick-steamed fine green beans, or flash-sautéed sliced leeks?

I'm not a mega veggie-nazi or anything, but in my old(er) age I've come to appreciate that a bit of green veg on the side really works with a rich dish like that. :)
  • edited June 5
    I'd probably have gone with something like steamed or roasted broccoli florets, the florets are great for swirling round in a gravy or sauce, it's like the fine tops of broccoli just grab and hold onto the sauce.....yum!

I used leftover tandoori chicken to make a vindaloo the other night, and it was good, but it did a number on my ring at work. I was in agony most of yesterday afternoon, so what should have been a relatively easy day at work, became a long drawn out squirmfest. Was fine by the time I left, but I ate something a bit blander last night, homemade sausage and bean melts. An attempt to recreate those delightfully unhealthy pasties from Greggs. Worked really well, but I can't claim the credit for making them as Missus Boozy actually made them for me (Although with a little guidance from me of course ;) ). Made a joblot of them a while back, and put the ones I didn't eat at the time in the freezer. Went to look for some food and there they were just sitting at the top, so I went with it. Still think I have a few left, but they're buried under a load of other food.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
  • What about my lovely roast chicken saucer? :)) :)) :))
  • zx1 wrote: »
    What about my lovely roast chicken saucer? :)) :)) :))

About that...Yeah I meant to ask at the time you posted it if the chicken was actually a whole tiny chicken that had curled up in a ball and died of a rare disease, and then Iceland had been like yeah f*ck it we'll sell the c*nt anyway it's good for a portion :))
  • :)) :)) :))
  • I don't think I could do any veg delish enough to go with that steak and spuds! Maybe some carrots or something else roasted in the oven...

To balance it, on other days, I will just have a pan of leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots maybe boiled together then 3/4 strained and cheese and white sauce mixes added to the water that's left. And that's it. Quite tasty for what's almost a vegeatarian option. I cling to the hope that there's some gelatin or some sort of animal bits in the sauce mix. There must be at least some powdered milk in there to keep it un-vegan!
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited June 8
    zx1 wrote: »
    What about my lovely roast chicken saucer? :)) :)) :))
    About that...Yeah I meant to ask at the time you posted it if the chicken was actually a whole tiny chicken that had curled up in a ball and died of a rare disease, and then Iceland had been like yeah f*ck it we'll sell the c*nt anyway it's good for a portion :))

It does look rather like a mole-rat with a mohawk pooped one way, barfed the other, then curled up on the plate for a nap and no-one realised before it went in the microwave...
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -