Favourite arcade conversions

edited July 2003 in Games
Ok, this thread isn't about the best technical conversions, but more about your favourite arcade conversions... The ones that were fun to play.

One of mine was Midnight Resistance, better game than the arcade version in my humble opinion.
Post edited by Swainy on

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Hmm, I still keep going back to Operation Wolf and Chase HQ.

Both at least the comparative equal of their Coin-op originals.
  • edited July 2003
    Yeah Chase HQ was one of my fave arcade conversions. The music when you completed it was brilliant too, reminded me of someone beatboxing!
  • edited July 2003
    planetoids , space raiders , enduro racer , bomb jack , starstrike and ms pac man are all fine arcade conversions
  • edited July 2003
    Yeah, EnduroRacer its brilliant.

DominicRobinson?s FlyingShark its a masterpiece conversion imho. He left some details of the coin op but the essence its there.
    Also Uridium,.. its a conversion from C64 and it rocks.

GreenBeret from Joffa its simply better than coin op.
    Hysteria from Joffa too its a comversion from C64 title, but this is also better imo. coz its as smooth and has better graphics. JoffaSmifff graphics style is very good.

R-Type, RainbowIslands and SuperOffRoad are the closest conversions I guess..

and Pheenix and Mooncresta of coz =)

[ This Message was edited by: judasEZT on 2003-07-09 18:44 ]
  • edited July 2003
    TAPPER is an excellent conversion on the Speccy, and a damn fine and original game too.

• edited July 2003

Yep, I agree with Enduro Racer & Green Beret are both cracking conversions , PowerDrift is another fine example too.

• edited July 2003
    Spy Hunter is an excellent game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Speccy version is better than the original. And I like Bionic Commando very much too.
  • edited July 2003
    On 2003-07-09 20:09, Paul van der Laan wrote:
    Spy Hunter is an excellent game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Speccy version is better than the original.

Spy Hunter was cracking.

I'd say it's a toss up between Rainbow Islands and Renegade. They were really close ports and Renegade was better. Quite liked Commando and G'n'G (despite the missing levels) too. Green Beret was awesome... Le Mans 24 deserves a mention.

Can't think of much else right now that was good. I'll say Out Run for the 128k music if nothing else. Far too slow it was.

-Steve
  • edited July 2003
    Maybe it is that I liked Golden Axe so much in the coin-op version, and I felt like having that game in my speccy a lot, but I love the conversion.

People would hit me if I also say Dragon Ninja... But the same reason as above applies.

Out of the nostalgia, I'd vote for Robocop (really neat), and, of course, Rainbow Islands. Ghost 'n' Ghouls was also a piece of art.

Cheers.
  • edited July 2003
    I always felt Moon Cresta was a pretty good conversion.
  • edited July 2003
    I've only ever played Commando in the arcades, and I must say the Speccy conversion was brilliant. I hated the C64 version with it's dull red and green colours. The Speccy was spot on with great scrolling!

Although I'm not aware of how these compare on the arcade, I liked these conversions too: Chase HQ, Bombjack, Flying Shark, Spy Hunter, and R-Type, among others. I found Green Beret extremely hard to get into.
  • edited July 2003
    Of course - how can I forget R-Type. That's every bit as playable on the Speccy as was down Southend pier.

I played it in the arcade recently actually, against a friend of mine and I was on it for ages on just 10p. Bargain.
  • edited July 2003
    Have Ms Pacman, Robotron, Space Harrier, Hyper Sports and Ping Pong been mentioned yet? These were ace.
  • edited July 2003
    Commando.
  • edited July 2003
    I have to side with R-Type and Commando too. At the time I thought Altered Beast was pretty good, but now it just looks like someone's been drinking paint and then puked all over the screen.

[ This Message was edited by: Zagreb on 2003-07-10 15:32 ]
  • edited July 2003
    R-Type - A most excellent conversion dude! Again like Chase HQ it is better than the 16-bit versions.... OK, the Amiga version has an awesome title screen track but the game just lacks some of the small touches, like the "collecting" of the atoms when you beam-up... the orb roating.. and there are more.

[ This Message was edited by: Yednab on 2003-07-11 15:32 ]
  • edited July 2003
    I'll agree with R-Type. Shame about that missing last level on the initial print batch though!
  • edited July 2003
    Yeah... ALTERED BEAST was a fantasticly ambitious conversion, and although it was a tad clunky, it beat the C64 conversion into submission.

• edited July 2003
    Forgot about that missing level on R-Type! M copy was like that!
  • edited July 2003
    Ah, Jail Break, of course!
  • edited July 2003
    Does anybody happen to have a snapshot of R-Type's last level? I'd love to see it (my copy was one with it missing) but not sure if I can be bothered to play through the 1st 7 levels again.