Where: ZX Printer ULA's and ZX interface I ULA's

edited October 2009 in Hardware
Is there any source left for these ULA's? Alot of tings can be replaced, like the ZTX transistors and occasionally you can come accross a normal ZX Spectrum ULA, but I have never seen these anywhere?
Post edited by georgedb on

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Unless someone has some NOS ("new old stock"), they would have to be fabricated in the form of a CPLD daughterboard that fits the original ULA socket (similar to what csmith is doing with the 48K ULA).
  • edited September 2009
    I can understand nostalgia for the Speccy. I don't understand nostalgia for the ZX Printer. There are alternative printing solutions.
  • edited September 2009
    cheveron wrote: »
    I can understand nostalgia for the Speccy. I don't understand nostalgia for the ZX Printer. There are alternative printing solutions.

heh, I have nostalgia for the ZX printer (and have 3 imported from England).
    It was my pride and joy when I got it for my ZX81 as a kid and then got heavy use on the speccy printing out a 'book' in the form of every location playing Lords of Midnight to submit to the competition they had (for a novel based on your successful completion of the game and your printouts).

I got an Alphacom printer too (and have a couple of those) but although the print was nicer I still 'prefered' the ZX printer.

It's back to the things you experiences first I suppose...the ZX Printer was the first 'real' printer along with my first 'real' computer the ZX81.

Those things are so simple too inside.....ingenious design again.
  • edited September 2009
    AHH alphacom 32 thermal line printer (never had the zx printer) that takes me back. I was given a timex printer a while ago, haven't tried it as yet must dig it out.
  • edited September 2009
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    AHH alphacom 32 thermal line printer (never had the zx printer) that takes me back. I was given a timex printer a while ago, haven't tried it as yet must dig it out.

FYI if you didn't know, Timex one is the same as the Alphacom 32..(rebranded I think).
  • edited September 2009
    I have ZX Printer in my collection, although it's somewhat useless with the Amstrad branded speccies (since these machines have different signals on the edge connector).

I loaned an Amstrad DMP 2000 printer from a friend years ago for my plus three. I remember at the time, I had great fun printing out my favourite Speccy loading screens.

It's a shame that nobody has found a way of building an RS232 to USB convertor, so we can hook up a modern day epson compatable printer to 128K/+2/+3.
  • edited September 2009
    ok, so the ZX printer is rubbish at printing, but you can't deny, it smells wonderful :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited September 2009
    Hercules wrote: »
    It's a shame that nobody has found a way of building an RS232 to USB convertor, so we can hook up a modern day epson compatable printer to 128K/+2/+3.

People know the way, it's just it's a huge pain in the ass to do. It's probably easier to print to a network printer than to print to a USB printer from an 8 bit machine.
  • edited September 2009
    Hercules wrote: »

HP still make lasers with Centronics ports.
  • edited September 2009
    Winston wrote: »
    People know the way, it's just it's a huge pain in the ass to do. It's probably easier to print to a network printer than to print to a USB printer from an 8 bit machine.

I agree, as most will print from an emulator nowadays...
    cheveron wrote: »
    HP still make lasers with Centronics ports.

...and they expensive... I wouldn't want to buy an expensive chunky laser just to print from my Speccy. As I already got 2 printers in storage already (altho sadly neither have centronics port).
  • edited September 2009
    I've got two printers that have printer ports, an inkjet and a dot matrix. The only thing I don't seem to have is any need for a printer on my spectrum...
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited October 2009
    Actually I'm not sure at all that the ULA's of my ZX Interface 1s and ZX Printers are broken. They just don't seem to be working... Are there any culprits, other then the ULAs, that I need to check for both? As of course beside the ULA, there are many other parts that can break...
  • edited October 2009
    georgedb wrote: »
    Actually I'm not sure at all that the ULA's of my ZX Interface 1s and ZX Printers are broken. They just don't seem to be working... Are there any culprits, other then the ULAs, that I need to check for both? As of course beside the ULA, there are many other parts that can break...

The caps are the biggest culprit on the Interface 1 are they not after a certain age? I have a interface 1 that has a dead ULA ...would be nice to find one.
  • edited October 2009
    beanz wrote: »
    The caps are the biggest culprit on the Interface 1 are they not after a certain age? I have a interface 1 that has a dead ULA ...would be nice to find one.
    Actually the 3 caps look like brand new, no leakage or anything. Is it worrth swapping them? I see 8 transistors + 1 over the ULA, some diodes, two basic logic chips, are these worth swapping?

Or is there anything I can test with the multimeter? (or even a scope when needed)
  • edited October 2009
    georgedb wrote: »
    Actually the 3 caps look like brand new, no leakage or anything. Is it worrth swapping them?
    Sometimes you can notice that internal pressure has built up, often nothing is visible. For testing purposes you simply 'bridge' them with a good capacitor.