James Bond 007 Action Pack

edited October 2009 in Games
The James Bond 007 Action Pack is currently listed just as a tape, but I am told that it was a pack similar to, say, the ZX Spectrum +2 Action Pack.

Does anyone have more information on this, and perhaps a photograph of the box? What exactly was in the box?
Post edited by mheide on

Comments

• edited October 2009
    It contained a Spectrum +2A, the tape with the game on it (and mission intros from Q, can't remember if that was the B-Side or a seperate audio tape) and a Magnum Lightphaser.
  • edited October 2009
    Mine was on 3 or 4 seperate tapes.
  • edited October 2009
    AndyC wrote: »
    It contained a Spectrum +2A, the tape with the game on it (and mission intros from Q, can't remember if that was the B-Side or a seperate audio tape) and a Magnum Lightphaser.

Thanks!
    Do you happen to know who published the pack? Amstrad? At what price?
    We don't (yet?) have any adverts listed for this pack, so any information would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
  • edited October 2009
    Graz wrote: »
    Mine was on 3 or 4 seperate tapes.

Do you recall which titles were contained on the 3~4 tapes ? Do they differ
    from what we currently have ?

It's possible later on in the pack you got more games as to lure more customers ?
  • edited October 2009
    Do you recall which titles were contained on the 3~4 tapes ? Do they differ
    from what we currently have ?

It's possible later on in the pack you got more games as to lure more customers ?

As far as I know there were no further issues of this pack, it was a one off film tie in, then things quickly pants for the company and they sold off the 007 boxsets for a few pounds each and they ended up in the clearance shops in the highstreet. If I remember correctly I paid ?25 for an unopened one and there were still about another 50 left there. If no-one else posts pictures and full details I will see what I can do. I can get to my set easily, I know exactly where it is, but the photo transfering is another thing entirely. But I will have a go.
  • edited October 2009
    I believe it was Amstrad and Domark who published the package..
  • edited October 2009
    Dingbat wrote: »
    As far as I know there were no further issues of this pack, it was a one off film tie in, then things quickly pants for the company and they sold off the 007 boxsets for a few pounds each and they ended up in the clearance shops in the highstreet. If I remember correctly I paid ?25 for an unopened one and there were still about another 50 left there.

It was quite lucky for us at the time, as the keys had started to snap off of the tape deck on our +2A, plus the UHF socket at the back was very wobbly and intermittent as a result. So, we ended up with a brand new +2B, but I'm not sure we had the James Bond pack with that machine and instead I think that we maybe got the lightgun and the James Bond games from somebody else in our street, one of my brother's friends I suspect.
  • edited October 2009
    Right I have it here in front of me, according to the end of the box, the contents are:

The Living Daylights James Bond 007 Action Pack

Lightgun. ( Instructions for use )

Power supply.

Computer Instruction Manual.

ZX Spectrum + 2 ( Black 128 K with tapedeck - Made in Taiwan, no serial
    number or stickers underneath )

There are no credits to Domark either on the tapes or packaging. I think this is probably a confused story from the past. Domark were working on a major game, reputed that is was Bond, at the time they were in a fight as to who would crack the A.I. computer game market first. I know that Ted Heathcote ( Gargoyle ) was also obsessed with the A.I. issue as well, there was talk that the two companies may work togeather. Gargoyle at that time were just about to launch Dun Darach, but their ambitions were to do The Hunting Of The Snark, with A.I. While at the same time Domark were about to launch Friday 13th.

Action Pack. ( Includes 1 tape with six games including Missile Ground Zero, Solar Invasion, Operation Wolf, Rookie, Robot Attack, Bullseye )

Mission / Game Instructions. ( Brown Top Secret envelope, Memo + Passport )

Software / Audiotape. ( Tape 1 side A - Mission Zero - Side B - Audiotape
    Q`s Message )

( Tape 2 side A - Lord bromley`s Estate - Side B -
    Q`s Shooting Range )

That is it , all that was included. Issued as 1990 Amstrad PLC

WHOOPS I ADDED THE EXTRA INFO IN THE MIDDLE AND DIDN`T KNOW HOW TO CORRECT IT !
  • edited October 2009
    Right I have it here in front of me, according to the end of the box, the contents are:

The Living Daylights James Bond 007 Action Pack

Lightgun. ( Instructions for use )

Power supply.

Computer Instruction Manual.

ZX Spectrum + 2 ( Black 128 K with tapedeck - Made in Taiwan, no serial
    number or stickers underneath )

Going by the comments above, this seems to be a +2a.
    Action Pack. ( Includes 1 tape with six games including Missile Ground Zero, Solar Invasion, Operation Wolf, Rookie, Robot Attack, Bullseye )
    This tape is known and was shipped with the other Magnum packs as well (Sinclair Action Pack - Lightgun Games.)
    Software / Audiotape. ( Tape 1 side A - Mission Zero - Side B - Audiotape Q`s Message )
    Could Mission Zero in fact be The Living Daylights?
    If so, was Mission Zero the title printed on the tape (i.e. an AKA)?
    That would probably be the Domark link.
    ( Tape 2 side A - Lord bromley`s Estate - Side B -
    Q`s Shooting Range )
    By the looks of it, Q's Shooting Range is what we have as Q's Armoury (its in-game title). Was Q's Shooting Range printed on the tape (i.e. an AKA)?

Many thanks for your help so far!

Edit: publisher details have been updated and a provisionary entry has been added to the hardware database.
  • edited October 2009
    My +2A Action Pack (Not the James Bond edition), came with Bullseye, Operation Wolf, Robot Attack, Rookie, Solar Invasion and Missile Ground Zero.

However, the games came on three unboxed white tapes, paired up with one game per side per tape. If I recall correctly, they were paired up as listed above.

I also bought the James Bond Action Pack years later on ebay, and it came with just the one game as I recall.
  • edited October 2009
    Mission Zero according to the memo in the envelope, is the main game, nowhere is it named as anything else.

On the long edge of the box are film credits for The Living Daylights, but everywhere else the pack is called James Bond Action Pack.

The name on the tape and the memo says Lord Bromleys Estate, and Q`s Shooting Range ( The memo says Q`s Underground Shooting Range ), nothing else.

It appears that the first two games are just practice runs for the skills needed in the main game Mission Zero, it is so long ago I can`t remember off the top of my head, and obviously the third side is the audio briefing tape.
  • edited October 2009
    I've also got this James Bond action pack and the contents list is as outlined by Dingbat. I've only got one of the two tapes in the pack, which has Q's shooting range and Lord Bromleys Estate on. The other (missing) tape is listed as having an audio message from Q and Mission Zero on it.
    Cant see any mention of any more light gun games in the list though - just the 007 ones. And no mention of "The living Daylights" apart from a splash on the side of the box.
  • edited October 2009

My copy very definitely did not contain those (I never had them at all). It's possible they were added later (or removed later, I can't remember how long it had been out by the time I got it).
    mheide wrote: »
    Could Mission Zero in fact be The Living Daylights?
    If so, was Mission Zero the title printed on the tape (i.e. an AKA)?
    That would probably be the Domark link.

It was the lightgun version of The Living Daylights. I can't remember whether or not that was shown on a loading screen or not. The whole pack was timed and focused around the launch of The Living Daylights movie (the other two lightgun games, both duck hunt-esque, are loosely based on some other scenes from TLD).
  • edited October 2009
    As mentioned in the original post, the tapes of the James Bond 007 Action Pack have been preserved already.
    My questions were mainly about possible aliases from the tapes themselves. ;)

I added the aliases for Q's Armoury, plus the Mission Zero alias that only appeared on this particular tape (a hidden alias to the entry, allowing one to search for this name.)
  • edited October 2009
    AndyC wrote: »
    My copy very definitely did not contain those (I never had them at all). It's possible they were added later (or removed later, I can't remember how long it had been out by the time I got it).

I updated the contents list for the James Bond 007 Action Pack to say that not all versions contained this particular tape.