SPIN 0.7s uploaded; the crowd goes wild...

edited October 2011 in Emulators
...with bug reports!

Get it here: http://sites.google.com/site/pauldunn/ZXSpin_07s.zip

New in this version are RPI filters and Overlays for those of you lucky enough to be able to run this in Direct3D mode. A selection of both have been provided in the appropriate folders - set then in Options -> Display -> Effects.

Gigascreen blending has been enabled for ULA64 and ULA Ramping modes, but will be very much slower with those enabled.

Joysticks have gotten better - you're now able to select which joystick you want to use, and define keys for all the buttons your stick supports. You can also define buttons for the POV hat, but as I've not actually got a stick that has one, I can't test it - expect spectacular failure for that, I shouldn't wonder.

You can, by popular request, hide the UI in the View menu. Use the small border around the display to move the window, and use the menus with a right-click. You can re-enable the UI with that menu's View option.

So go get testing, and send me bug reports. Either here, by PM or email.

D.
Post edited by Dunny on

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Thanks Dunny!

CPU usage by SPIN constant ~97% +/- 1 or 2%

Can't use it ... it's too slow to do anything ... sorry :-(

(What info do you need from me? I'm using XP and 0.666 is still working wonders over here)

EDIT:
    Actually I can use it ... it's soooooper slow when I just have the "(C) Sinclair... " screen but as soon as I am able to get into any of the options (takes a while to get there) it's ok ... or at least moving from one option to another is fine/normal) ... it's the emulated machine which seems to cause issues.

Thought on this?
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for the "Hide UI" ! :-)

Anywho ... I hid the UI (and am liking it) then went back to Options and wanted to have the ZX32 border (i.e. none) but immediately got:

List index out of bounds (-1)

And am not able to change the border at all :-(

Also ... going back and forth from Options to the Speccy, a part of the top (SPIN close/min/etc) shows through the legend around the window.

(anywho ... have to log off but will check back here in an hour or so)
  • edited December 2009
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    Thanks Dunny!

CPU usage by SPIN constant ~97% +/- 1 or 2%

Can't use it ... it's too slow to do anything ... sorry :-(

(What info do you need from me? I'm using XP and 0.666 is still working wonders over here)

EDIT:
    Actually I can use it ... it's soooooper slow when I just have the "(C) Sinclair... " screen but as soon as I am able to get into any of the options (takes a while to get there) it's ok ... or at least moving from one option to another is fine/normal) ... it's the emulated machine which seems to cause issues.

Thought on this?

Try downloading it again - I've uploaded a new version that should be a bit lighter on the CPU. On my dual-core, it was constantly hovering around 90%, now it's about 50%. The rendering thread uses a lot of CPU, so on a single core machine it may slow you down. Try turning stuff off.

D.
  • edited December 2009
    It starts quicker but it's not faster by much (sorry!)
    Dunny wrote: »
    Try turning stuff off.

What stuff in particular?

My settings:
    GDI, Maintain Aspect, Scaling Method None(nothing else checked here), Border Size ZX32 (nothing else checked here)

Audio Engine Disabled, no effects.

And that's it.

I tried Direct Draw and Direct 3D but there was no noticeable change in speed (for me at least).

This machine:
    XP, Radeon 7000/VE family, half gig RAM, AMD Athlon, 1.3GHz (There's your problem, right there guv. -Ed)

Did I mention 0.666 runs perfectly and that the first public 0.7 worked just fine on this machine? :grin:

And I connect to the internet via a string hooked to a can.
  • edited December 2009
    I don't know if I am imagining Spin actually becoming faster or not ... but it now seems to hover closer to 50% and I'm actually able to stretch and play with the border of the screen (UI is hidden) ... still have occasional "bleeding" of desktop through the border when I'm playing with it ... and if stretching any corner(or side) then sometimes the top border (Spin, min/res/close) "ghosts" through in black underneath while moving/stretching but disappears when I stop moving the mouse.
  • edited December 2009
    Oh, and here's a bug/glitch/nuance/deliberate enhancement:

[strike]Fresh install of Spin.[/strike] Doesn't have to be a fresh install, just try changing back and forth to get this glitch.
    Change Border to None.
    Emulator does a reset, and when it's done the window size is a funky User Defined Size, i.e. it fills out the area left by the border.

That is all really.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanx Dunny ! :)

I have tested the Overlays here now and they work PERFECTLY ! No CPU Usgae! YAY!

I will test the POV joystick when I get home and will report back :)

Thank you once again. This is the best customer support ever !

TC
  • edited December 2009
    Nice work Dunny. It mostly works very well for me here, the one exception I've noticed so far is that pressing F4 to go into fullscreen mode doesn't work (by "doesn't work" I mean it results in a black screen until F4 is pressed again) if you have "Enable scanlines" ticked and don't also have "Reduce filter blurring" ticked. In other words, you must have either both options ticked, or neither option ticked, for full screen mode to work.

This is the case only on Direct3D rendering mode. GDI and DirectDraw modes aren't affected.
  • edited December 2009
    I'll fix the scanlines under D3D issue later when I've had some sleep :-)

For now, anyone suffering from the high CPU usage should re-download - that should be sorted now.

D.
  • edited December 2009
    :smile: Everything working here and no lag issues.....superb stuff.
  • edited December 2009
    hi,
    now i found time to test it. it works fine on vista 32 and xp pro. the cpu usage and speed is ok.
    i think sontime the tape counter disapears, on my computer at work. but it has rubbish graficcard. no matter i think. at home all works fine.
    great work !! the new tv mode is cool, i feel like back 1983... :-)
    ZX Everyday in Germany
  • edited December 2009
    I only use GDI mode, because the other two gives blurry Spectrum screen and I don't like that.

In version 0.666 I also use the GDI mode, however, now in 0.7s there's a difference: with the border active and loading with "edge loader" the tape loading stripes in border no longer appear. During loading the emulator looks like freezing, but in fact after a while the game just start normally, skipping the visual tape loading emulation.

Why is that ?

There is also another annoying thing – now the pixel transitions (like any black text on white [strike]border[/strike] background, just the 128k logo for example) have overshoot effect, similar to that seen on poor quality VGA card, monitor, or cable.

Cristi
  • edited December 2009
    @ secarica

I get the display on mine - so it's there :smile:
    but has the tape loader not jumped to Fast Loader when you change display mode

Spin has a weird way of ignoring what you select in the drop down menu bar and reverting back to the option settings when you change your display.
    (and spin's default option on a new install is Flashload)
  • edited December 2009
    No, it does not here, even after flip-flopping the display and tape options several times.
    It is like that:

version 0.666
    normal loading - tape loading stripes are in normal density
    edge loading - everything goes fast, tape loading stripes are in high desnsity
    flash loading - depends on file type; normal tape loads almost instantly with no stripes at all; protected tape (for example Gauntlet III) loads similar to edge loading

version 0.7s
    normal loading - tape loading stripes are in normal density
    edge loading - no loading stripes, tape progress bar (in tape browser) moves erratically, or do not move (progress) at all
    flash loading - same as edge loading

Cristi
  • RNDRND
    edited December 2009
    Bug reports from me:

Theres a constant low noise hum which makes it unbearable to use.

It reports that the files it loads (even the included ones) does not exist but loads it anyway.

It crashes on going to full screen.
    Facebook @nick.swarfega Twitter: @sw4rfega
  • edited December 2009
    secarica wrote: »
    In version 0.666 I also use the GDI mode, however, now in 0.7s there's a difference: with the border active and loading with "edge loader" the tape loading stripes in border no longer appear. During loading the emulator looks like freezing, but in fact after a while the game just start normally, skipping the visual tape loading emulation.

I mentioned the same problem several days ago, whole emulator freezing until loading finished..
    Tried different setting in Display section, but nothing helps..
    Everything going smooth in 0.666 version..

Another problem is beeper sound in 0.7 version, sounds somewhat "metallic" but definitely not realistic like in previous halloween version and other emus..
    example: i run Dan Dare in both version and sound effects of laser gun and sound when Dan shoot guards is quite different..

Sometimes after reset, emulator change default model to 16k, but this is really not big issue..
    I would like to see that Spin can handle some special custom loader like SpecEmu and Spectaculator does, you have mentioned one example loader recently, but am afraid its not the only one..
    Phosphor glowe effect is good, but too slow on my 1.8 Ghz Athlon, so i must consider to buy new proccessor to see that effect properly..
    Except this, everything else going just fine..
  • edited December 2009
    The frame-skipping (which is what the disappearing border is) is me messing with different stuff in full speed mode, as that's enabled when the accelerated loaders are set.

Dunno what's up with the beeper, as I can't tell any difference on my machine. I do have some ideas what it may be though, so I'll get a new ZXSpin version up this afternoon.

Odd things happening with the options will be fixed, and I know what's doing it.

D.
  • edited December 2009
    secarica wrote: »
    I only use GDI mode, because the other two gives blurry Spectrum screen and I don't like that.

use the reduce filter blurring option
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited December 2009
    Pegaz wrote: »
    I would like to see that Spin can handle some special custom loader like SpecEmu and Spectaculator does, you have mentioned one example loader recently, but am afraid its not the only one..

Unfortunately (as I explained some time ago) that due to Marko leaving there will be no new loading schemes added to the tape accelerator, and no debugger/assembler fixes. I'm as annoyed as anyone else, but there's nothing I can do. ZXSpin will load your tapes, but you have to turn auto start/stop off and use a normal loading speed.

Marko had promised to get certain things done before he left, but as it turned out... he didn't. And that's that.

D.
  • edited December 2009
    Dunny wrote: »
    Unfortunately (as I explained some time ago) that due to Marko leaving there will be no new loading schemes added to the tape accelerator, and no debugger/assembler fixes. I'm as annoyed as anyone else, but there's nothing I can do. ZXSpin will load your tapes, but you have to turn auto start/stop off and use a normal loading speed.

Marko had promised to get certain things done before he left, but as it turned out... he didn't. And that's that.

D.

Not to worry, the way things are going I'm sure you'll have exorcised SPIN of my corrupting influence / code soon enough. Remove the assembler altogether if it's bothering you that much.
  • edited March 2010
    I am having problems with the assembler.
    If I type I only get symbols on screen and graphics instead of numbers.
    Using windows 7. If I copy-paste text from notepad etc it gets accepted ok.
    Problem seems to be just in character coding.
  • edited March 2010
    batsilos wrote: »
    I am having problems with the assembler.
    If I type I only get symbols on screen and graphics instead of numbers.
    Using windows 7. If I copy-paste text from notepad etc it gets accepted ok.
    Problem seems to be just in character coding.

There are 2 likely causes of this:

One of your shift keys may be "stuck". Press and release all the various shift keys on your keyboard: both SHIFTs, CTRLs, ALTs and windows keys. SPIN will lose focus during this so after you're done, click inside the assembler window again.

Scroll Lock may be turned on. SPIN uses Scr Lk as a "graphics mode" key in the assembler editor. When turned on, you can enter UDGs and the like by typing numbers and letters. Make sure Scr Lk is off to type normally.

If neither of those helps you then it really is a bug, and I'm afraid it won't be fixed as I'm no longer working on SPIN.
  • edited March 2010
    I played about with the font settings and today after a restart it works.
    When I left it last night and posted the message it was just typing letters and got only numbers as graphics....
    My pc with the problem is a laptop so no scroll lock.....
    Bizzare :)
    Anywayz , chears for that mate.
  • edited March 2010
    batsilos wrote: »
    My pc with the problem is a laptop so no scroll lock.....

Every laptop I've ever used has Scroll Lock. Generally quite hard to get to (on this machine its Fn + Num Lock), but it's always been there somewhere.
  • edited October 2011
    Hi. How watch video divIDEo .dvo on ZX Spin 0.7s ? I settings emulator from this http://divideo.zxdemo.org, running player LOAD"", pressing Q but only gray screen with white bar and not view file outline.dvo. Pressing space print 0 OK, 30:2 and nothing played :-(