Norway Spirals - Missiles or Black holes or Aliens or Giant Rave Lasers

edited December 2009 in Chit chat
Somehow I managed to miss all the internet kerfuffle over this weird spiral "thing" that appeared in the sky over Norway a week or so ago...and in my insomnia have decided to inform you lot in case you missed it too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

Be sure to watch the video at the end of the above link for maximum weirdness...

Apparently it's all due to some failed Russian missile test launch, but as it says this in the Daily Mail and judging by the general weirdness of it, I'd say that theory was a bit suspect..Not entirely unbelieveable, just rather odd if it's the case....

Apparently, the Black Hole generator at CERN has been firing up again lately, and crazed conspiracy theorists assure us that it was doing tests at precisely the time this weird event happened, so make of it all what you will...

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject..
Post edited by deadpan666 on

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Looks like a fancy light display to me.

Rave on!
  • edited December 2009
    Not quite the same thing - projected light onto a building...

• edited December 2009
    Here's a video of the spirals for those of you too lazy to bother clicking links.... :)

If it is a failed Russian missile, I'll have five of them for New Year please!
  • edited December 2009
    yup failed russian missiles (they admitted it)

theres nothing to see here, move on
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited December 2009
    yup failed russian missiles (they admitted it)

theres nothing to see here, move on

Yeah, but then again....if it was a black hole created by mental scientists in a bid to smash atoms, they're hardly likely to say "Oops! Sorry..that was us...We nearly created a rip in time & space that consumed our whole planet. Still never mind! Didn't it look pretty!?.....Scone???"
  • edited December 2009
    This thing here is very interesting.

It's a mathematical paper on how it could not have been a missile.

I have to admit that I just glanced over the paper and did not apply full mathematical interest to it.

The main thing which caught my attention is the sheer distances involved. If this rocket blew up over 900km away, and it created that large of a spiral(2xwhite and blue) which lasted up to 10-12 minutes then how large of a rocket was it, or rather what did it contain to be able to spread out over that extreme of an area.

Something here doesn't add up at all, or rather I can not get the distance to the rocket and dispersal area of "expulsion" (not explosion) to work.
  • edited December 2009
    Hawkwind wernt having a gig in the area were they?
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited December 2009
    black hole or a party missile fired out a window. does it really matter.

• edited December 2009
    What really scares me about this story is if this was a failed missle experiment, what would have happen had it been succesfull...
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    Looks like a very fancy laser show to me. Couple of different coloured coloured projectors and you'd only see one of them where the beams crossed giving the 3d spiral effect.
    Fancy though.

No way it's the vapour trail from a missile unless glasnost's gone so far that it's ok to test missiles on the Norwegian border AND illuminate them from below just to make sure they're seen.

Having said that, it does seem an unlikely place to hold a laser show so maybe we'd better all get on the roof and hold 'welcome to earth' parties just to be safe.
  • edited December 2009
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

It's a light show.
  • fogfog
    edited December 2009
    a few times the clouds have reflected / refracted? the lights from wembley.. years ago it happened and people were ringing in a london radio station thinking it was UFO's.. when in fact it was a cliff richard concert , or rather the lighting bouncing off clouds .hehe
  • edited December 2009
    Please explain to me how an explosion/light-show ~900 km away covers that large of an area(in the sky).

Am I the only one picking up on the great magnitude of the coverage here? I'm probably missing something important. (Yes, your morning pills. -ed) This lightshow, this far away and that high up would have been visible in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia.

This is assuming that the rocket went fairly straight up, then went at an angle while having its issues.

Now, having said that, and assuming that the rocket traveled the distance ~800-900km WNW then had its problems, I'm pretty sure Norway, Finland and maybe Sweden would be at war with Russia, or at least have a word or two with them about firing a rocket over their countries(even though they were forewarned that the Russian were conducting this test).

Is my imagination running amok in the muck?
  • edited December 2009
    frocommand.jpg
  • In my opinion this is another old thread, but I just love the picture submitted by an old friend of ours !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • Hmm, it's a bit dusty in here. I'll start to give everything a dust now its back open.

spider_web_up_right.png
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • I remember when this hit the news, it was a malfunctioning rocket as I remember correctly it looked damn cool !