So what Speccy games are you actually playing at the min?

edited August 2010 in Games
I know this isn't the first ever thread like this but I figured I'd start it for a laugh.

Since I'm not really working on anything at the mo' for the last week or so I've been playing a load of Speccy games at a leisurely pace instead of trying to plough through them due to time restrictions, or for review purposes :D

Anyway Last week I went back to playing Egghead 4 since I never actually finished it around about the time it came out, I'm not too far from doing it, but I can't for the life of me work out which objects I'm supposed to be carrying to make the pig fly into the grinder, as I assume this is how you get the sausages?

At the minute I'm playing Cyberbig, I almost did the review of this game when it was up for grabs in the Speccy Bible but someone beat me to it in the end, but I always thought it looked quite interesting. So I've been playing it the last couple of days, I'm actually enjoying it even though normally a game that played like this with it's no jumping and weird physics wouldn't really do it for me. I haven't really got a clue what I'm supposed to be doing I've got the wheels to turn the robot into a tank and grabbed what I think are the discs I've got 4 and started going round in circles I attempted to translate the instructions which made for a very comical version of the story, but didn't really help much.

I now know that I'm supposed to be collecting 36 discs, 4 in each sector, but I have no idea how to get into the different sectors? I have no idea if I look for a door to blow open or go back to the start? But I'll have it worked out in a little while, then maybe just maybe I'll be able to add another Spanish title to my list of Speccy games I've finished.
Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I was playing that JSW:MMM game until I heard there was a far better game around ... :razz:

I have to admit I only played the first 10-15 rooms of MMM BUT that was mainly because I ran out of time ... it is a very "technical" sort of game.

Will be BSing more about it in the proper thread when I can dedicate more time to playing it.
  • edited January 2010
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    I was playing that JSW:MMM game until I heard there was a far better game around ... :razz:

I have to admit I only played the first 10-15 rooms of MMM BUT that was mainly because I ran out of time ... it is a very "technical" sort of game.

Will be BSing more about it in the proper thread when I can dedicate more time to playing it.

I wouldn't waste the time with it since it's apparently complete nonsense and belongs back in 1985 (Funnily enough along with the much better game, well actually the best ever Speccy game ;)) :D

Maybe I should've added some ladders, some snakes, and rolly skulls to MMM then it may have been received a little better :lol:

EDIT: OOP! There's a room idea for the Lost Levels if ever there was one ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited January 2010
    I am currently playing King's Valley, I finished yesterday Gommy Defensor Medieval, and also tried a lot Miles Mad Mission, but couldn't get very far. That is in emulator.

On my real Spectrum +2 I am playing Rainbow Islands, Gryzor, Smash TV and MIdnight Resistance. 4 great games from Ocean.
  • edited January 2010
    I think I'll have another bash at Gommy later on, I don't think I actually finished that one either, got pretty far quite quickly though so lets see if I can plough my way through that in the next day or so.

It's nice to have some time to play some games again, and after last years yield I have quite a bit of catching up to do :)
  • edited January 2010
    Am playing (On various Speccies):

Xeno II
    Galactic Abductors
    Missile Defense all by Anirog

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005789
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001924
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003227

Wow, this company produced such slick games, I gotta be on the look-out for more!

Also

Roadblasters (as always)
    Skull (another all-time favourite of mine)
  • edited January 2010
    Mushroom Man (stuck at level 80, that is corrupted so I think I'm done with this by now).

MMM (I think I have collected all the "easy" objets, now I have to figure out how to get to the difficult ones, I mean those that you have to gain access by another screen, or look at a map).

Gommy (stuck at lvl 20 something).

Yesterday I started playing Preliminary Monty.

When I finish my tour over 2009's games, I have to revisit some old games like Psytron (once I read the instructions) and HoH.
  • edited January 2010
    Enjoying Kings Valley at the moment but also playing a lot of Rallybug, big fan of that game.
  • edited January 2010
    I've been playing a range of classics for the last couple of weeks , even better is that ive been showing a range of speccy games to my son (he's eight) and he's really enjoyed playing them.

Skool daze (he adores it)
    Jet set willy.
    Match Day
    Ghostbusters

Makes me smile when i see him on them when i come in from work.
  • edited January 2010
    sirclive1 wrote: »
    even better is that ive been showing a range of speccy games to my son (he's eight) and he's really enjoyed playing them.

Skool daze (he adores it)
    I love hearing about kids today enjoying some Speccy classics. Good gameplay is good gameplay, regardless of graphics or era.

I love Skooldaze (I was 10 when it came out!), although I spent as much time trying to get it to load as I did actually playing it. At least your son doesn't have that hassle (assuming he's playing via emulator)!

So as to not derail this thread (too much), the game I still play most often is mainly Bomb Jack.
  • edited January 2010
    Mousey wrote: »
    I love hearing about kids today enjoying some Speccy classics. Good gameplay is good gameplay, regardless of graphics or era.

I love Skooldaze (I was 10 when it came out!), although I spent as much time trying to get it to load as I did actually playing it. At least your son doesn't have that hassle (assuming he's playing via emulator)!

So as to not derail this thread (too much), the game I still play most often is mainly Bomb Jack.

Totally agree, always said graphics/sound dont matter as much as gameplay. Look at Warioware Inc on the GBA, lots of mini games which was a huge seller.

Good call on Bomb Jack, I tend to play that quite a lot as well, you often get too greedy and wait for another P thing to appear but get killed before hand
  • edited January 2010
    Aye! Bomb Jack along with Renegade is one of the few Speccy games that surpassed the actual arcade machine.
  • edited January 2010
    At the moment I'm making my way through all the games submitted for the CSSCGC 09 as I hadn't tried any until a couple of days ago.

It's just so I can offer a fair & carefully considered vote. Suffice to say I haven't been spending very long on any of them so far. :cry:
  • edited January 2010
    Had a quick blast on PEKING from a Your Sinclair cover tape, not quite sure how I set a record of 4'.20" all those years ago, can't get near it now, must have been a real easy set of tiles. A fluke if you will.
  • edited January 2010
    At the moment, I'm trying a few of the remade JSW's , normally I'd have to quickly patch them with a couple of cheats (fall any height / lives / immunity) , but it lets me play the "not so well known" or "too difficult" (for me!) ones :)
  • edited January 2010
    spider wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm trying a few of the remade JSW's , normally I'd have to quickly patch them with a couple of cheats (fall any height / lives / immunity) , but it lets me play the "not so well known" or "too difficult" (for me!) ones :)

Try this one , ZX Heroes...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0014529

Its superb seeing all the different screens and games
  • edited January 2010
    Every weekend I switch on my grey +2 to play "Supaplex" and "Cannon Bubble".
    ZX Spectrum +2 & PicoDiv SD,
    Timex 2048 & divIDE 57c
  • edited January 2010
    PopoCop wrote: »
    Every weekend I switch on my grey +2 to play "Supaplex" and "Cannon Bubble".

I have tried many times Megaplex by Cronosoft but it seems that there is a bug in the game cos I can't get past level 1 :S
  • edited January 2010
    Ivanzx wrote: »
    I have tried many times Megaplex by Cronosoft but it seems that there is a bug in the game cos I can't get past level 1 :S

Nope, there shouldn't be a bug. My one goes through the levels okay. Get onto the gaffer right away!

(Megaplex is fab!)
  • edited January 2010

He's been playing via emulation (through this site).
  • edited January 2010
    My five-year-old son was addicted to the Skool games for a while. And it was worth it: he actually found some bugs that I never knew existed, for which I've given him credit in the Skool Disassemblies changelog (he's 'Alex').
    SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
    Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
  • edited January 2010
    Jet Set Willy 16K, which is good :-) then I'll have to move onto playing some games on 'other formats'.

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited January 2010
    I gave up playing Cyberbig, once I worked out what I was supposed to be doing I got to the 3rd level with great ease, and ended up switching it off cos' I got bored. Shame it seemed a little more enjoyable with an air of mystique around it :D

I suddenly seem very crap at Gommy, when I reviewed it I was pretty close to finishing it, now I can only get to about the 4th boss? Maybe I'm just a bit out of practice?

Gonna go through my games folder and see if I can get into any of the many games I've nabbed over the last couple of years and see if I can get into any of them.

Must avoid Apple Jam though, opened that up a night or 2 ago intending to have just a quick go, and I ended up playing it for over 2 hours (sometimes the oldies really are the best I guess) :lol:
  • zx1zx1
    edited January 2010
    Played Minder and JSW last night just to pass the time.
    I tried to play High Frontier but couldn't get into it.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited January 2010
    always got a bit of Chaos and Match Day II going on.

Sometimes a bit of Laser Squad as well. Couple of saved games with practically no hope which I'm trying to see if I can complete.
  • edited January 2010
    I play Speccy at night pre-bed on that nice Mr Rak's emulator.

Currently playing Skool Daze having never completed it before, last night's near-sleep save state was with 3 master letters and just waiting on the old man's birthday question. Back 2 Skool will be next, although sadly has more than 10 keys so will still have to resort to keyboard screen prodding for the odd less-used function like mouse catching.

Also got a save state on Miles Mad Mission on the drugs screen, playing around with counting to 8 and seeing if I can beat it in one life. Haven't beaten the game yet.

And been going through the Mojon Twins back catalogue. They likes the nudey rewards :)
  • edited January 2010
    SkoolKid wrote: »
    My five-year-old son was addicted to the Skool games for a while. And it was worth it: he actually found some bugs that I never knew existed, for which I've given him credit in the Skool Disassemblies changelog (he's 'Alex').
    I'm pretty sure I used to fire the catapult through the wall on B2S.
    Enjoying that page right now, I love reading about broken bits in games.
  • edited January 2010
    Just stuck on Preliminary Monty at the mo.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm often going back to my favourites: Laser Squad and Lords of Chaos. I've been playing more Turbomania 16k since Jonathan told me how to deal with impossible mazes. And lately I've been playing Lords of Midnight too. I'm surprised there weren't more games made in the LoM genre - it really was impressive.
  • edited January 2010
    psj3809 wrote: »
    Good call on Bomb Jack, I tend to play that quite a lot as well, you often get too greedy and wait for another P thing to appear but get killed before hand
    It's not a case of waiting. The bar (on the arcade, possibly counter on Speccy) increments 1 each time you collect a lit bomb. Now, go at it ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Played Bomb Jack a bit today (cuz you lot are) - Hey, it's still great innit!
    Also a lil bit of Altered Beast, but you know that, don't ya! :)