Blackstar by Richy Pitch

edited January 2012 in Sinclair Miscellaneous

Discuss. Points will be deducted from the first person who asks "can this be done on a real Spectrum?"
Post edited by evilpaul on

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Great find fella !

Top marks to the agency who did the video who got the beginning totally totally realistic.

Not my cup of tea musically but great to see a video like that. Suppose to be fair they had to add a fair bit of colour to the 'game' otherwise it would have looked quite dull being monochrome. Great beginning to it though
  • edited March 2010
    Fantastic vid. I WANNA PLAY IT!!!! :D
  • edited March 2010
    That was actually really good.

The tune wasn't too bad either.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited March 2010
    thats wicked! higher quality version here btw: http://www.ramjam.co.uk/portfolio/projects/blackstar

there seem to be some "cameo appearances" in this vid. i spot sprites from (i think) renegade, daley thompsons decathlon, deathwish 3, and the "P" powerup from bombjack. could be wrong on some of those and im sure there are more.
  • edited March 2010
    Not bad, missing a bit of colour-clash but cool nonetheless.
  • edited March 2010
    Lee_dC wrote: »
    thats wicked! higher quality version here btw: http://www.ramjam.co.uk/portfolio/projects/blackstar

there seem to be some "cameo appearances" in this vid. i spot sprites from (i think) renegade, daley thompsons decathlon, deathwish 3, and the "P" powerup from bombjack. could be wrong on some of those and im sure there are more.

I thought I saw Rene from Renegade!
  • edited March 2010
    i think colour clash would be a bit much for a music vid. people would think there was something wrong with it!
  • fogfog
    edited March 2010
    1:08.. thats a microgen game.. cop-out?!?! or one of the wally games

2:16 reminds me of the sub outta nebulus

thats an M.I.A right?
  • edited March 2010
    A great video who ever did it knew the Spectrum well. Even the red refresh lines on a black screen were there as the machine reset at the end.

Makes me want to put on my ZX500s and boogie.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited March 2010
    There's a lot of different games graphics used in that. Loads of Renegade, Robocop, Midnight Resistance, Vigilante amongst others.
  • edited March 2010
    When it goes underwater, the fish are from Scubadive.
    Very very cool vid :)
  • edited March 2010
    Lee_dC wrote: »

Cool. I tried to rip it, but I couldn't.
    Can someone rip the damn thing and post a link? ;)
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited March 2010
    Just finished ripping the HQ .mp4 and .flv from YouTube, and the flv from the main site. I used FF, download helper for the YouTube vids, DownThemAll for the big .flv. The url was
    http://www.ramjam.co.uk/assets/files/flvs/Blackstar_Master_12_03_2010.flv

I will post a link in a couple hours.
  • fogfog
    edited March 2010
    thats just a straight video grab off , I'm assuming an emulator?

rest was done in flash I guess? and it's loads of layers ?!?! the sky background , reminds me a bit of an ocean game hmm

so as well as getting a speccy video.. we also find an M.I.A :) bargain.hehe
  • edited March 2010
    Hehe..great vid! Nice to see the Speccy's still inspiring the music industry....:)
  • fogfog
    edited March 2010
    deadpan666 wrote: »
    Nice to see the Speccy's still inspiring the music industry....:)

8 bit machines have been for years.. but well a fair few of the producers now grew up in the age of speccy / c64 etc. and the whole nostalgia trip

look how many speccy people have turned to music :)

dynamite dan coder for 1..

one of "gang of 5"

sensi soft

ian & mic (c64 folk)

sure there is loads more :)
  • edited March 2010
    Here's a link to download the .flv with better quality. VLC, KM and some other good players can play flv.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWMKE6TG
  • edited March 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Here's a link to download the .flv with better quality. VLC, KM and some other good players can play flv.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWMKE6TG

Cool, thanks a bunch!

40megs, not bad.

BUT, oh noes!
    "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Oh, well, I'll try again later today.
  • edited March 2010
    dammit it's coming up temporarily unavailable

edit: here it comes!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    Here's another link for those having issues with Megaupload:

Original High-Quality FLV file
  • edited March 2010
    Following a post by Chris on c.s.s...
    > The loading screen appears to skip the first 2/3rds of the pixel data.

It does indeed. And it loads less than 1/3rd too. I think the author didn't want to "bother" those who have no idea what the Speccy is, so he shortened it a little bit.
    >Has anybody checked what is actually
    > in the data blocks at the start of the video?
    >
    > Chris

Already on it. :P Basic loader (123 bytes in lenght, autostart line 10) reads:
    10 BORDER 0 : PAPER 0 : INK 0 : CLEAR 24999 : POKE 23739,111 : LOAD "" SCREEN$ :  LOAD "" CODE :  POKE 23739,244 :  PAUSE 0 : RANDOMIZE USR 50896

The code blocks following the Basic loader are:

Bytes: bionic48$ code 30000, 6912
    Normal Data Block: 1569? (Unsure. Wav2tap isn't being able to output a clean .tap)
    Bytes: bionic48c CODE 25000, 40536
    Normal Data Block: 506 bytes

I'll post a link to the .TAP and .WAV files shortly, so those who know code can take a look and unveil its mysteries. :D
  • edited March 2010
    Yes, I do have some free time today. Here's some text I extracted from the last code block:
    48K Mode - Mastering 128K Game
    SAVE BASIC
    SAVE Loader
    SAVE Gamecoder
    Version 2.40
    1986 Appleby Associates
    James Wood, Antony Dunmore & John Bayliffe
    Use UP DOWN & ENTER to Select Option

My .TAP file is worthless because the wav2tzx utility splits the data block in 2. Can someone figure out how to produce a better .TAP and also how to load the screen data so that the two bottom lines load exactly as shown on the video?

.WAV file

.TAP file
  • fogfog
    edited March 2010
    maybe the mastering has messed up the speccy tones.. just a thought..

also if they don't want you to have a clean version just replace the loading stream with some junk so it messed up and can't be loaded.

also the tones for the headers don't sound pure.. like when I used to do home...errmm home programming ;)

years ago.. a certain someone used the dial tones for their home number on a tune... but reversed..
    and someone reversed it back and called him up..haha
  • edited March 2010
    Specchums have extracted Speccy data from many other things before. We'll do it again. :)

edit: Google tells me those three names are the authors of the Alcatraz protection system.
  • fogfog
    edited March 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Specchums have extracted Speccy data from many other things before. We'll do it again. :)

edit: Google tells me those three names are the authors of the Alcatraz protection system.

that just means they could have just doctored and existing thing before.. tbh.. the data doesn't look 100% or sound it... either because of the audio processing that has gone on OR they have just replaced data with random data... well the noise anyway.

if you listen to the start of the track there is a slight reverb and the double tapping noise when the keys are being hit.. also the track itself has probably been mastered / limited so that might have an effect on things also.. you notice the intro / speccy loading part is hhmm EXACTLY 30 seconds since it's handy to do for anim purposes.

I'd do a loader one day in a tune.., but include hidden messages in it :D gotta be done
  • edited March 2010
    Hello,

I made the Blackstar video.
    Really pleased with the response its been getting so thanks!
    I'm impressed at what you've been able to work out so far, there's been some mighty fine snooping going on!
    Regarding colour clash, I was trying to incorporate it at the start as I wanted to make it as accurate as possible but it ended up making the video unwatchable so I had to ditch it for the sake of making it accessible to a wider audience.
    I had to cut the intro audio down as it was taking too long to get to the actual song that the video was meant for.
    I hope it was an acceptable compromise!

Cheers,

Tom
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Tom, yep its a superb video.

I'm just very impressed by how close it is to an actual Speccy game, obviously the loading up, the noises, the screen building up and some of the graphics in the game.

Did you have a Spectrum back in the day or did you do some great 'homework' and find out about them to make this video very realistic ?

Just impressed by the level of detail
  • edited March 2010
    The slight reverb and double tapping noise is probably because he used Spin. ;)

Here's a few more things I did just for fun:

bionic48.png

Basic Loader with Screen$

Part of the animation as it would look like on a real Speccy:

Blackstarpart256x192.gif
  • edited March 2010
    Now someone just needs to make a game based on the video :)
  • edited March 2010
    Awesome video. I managed to pinpoint the following game references:

- Robot Messiah
    - Daley Thompson's Decathlon
    - "P"s, buildings, the cone-like enemy and the rapacious bird from Bomb Jack
    - fishes and oysters from Scuba Dive
    - Liberty and Taj Mahal from Race Against Time
    - old woman, girl, wounded enemy and rescue doctor from Death Wish 3
    - some enemies and skylines from Renegade
    - an enemy from Narc (not completely sure about this though)
    - some junk parts from Vigilante