Too few light gun games available? Any ideas for a decent shooter game?

edited December 2011 in New game ideas
Terminator 2: The Arcade Game ported from the original GameBoy would be an excellent addition to the Spectrum's light gun collection.

What shooter did you want back in the day when the Spectrum +2 Light Gun Pack was released?

Term2.jpg

Term2-1.gif

Term3.jpg

Term4.jpg

Term5.jpg
Post edited by retrogod on

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Well, the archive search lets you list all the light gun games. Some of them are for the Magnum (the most popular), some for the Defender, etc. In terms of recent stuff, there's only one "game" that I know about, but it didn't go beyond a proof of concept.

• edited November 2011
    The House of the Dead: Overkill for the Spectrum :) That would be interesting.
  • edited November 2011
    I suppose Beast Busters wouldn't be totally unfeasable? Zombies have a perfect pallette for a Speccy game. Green, Yellow, or Cyan.

If I remember right as well the zombies in Beat Busters were mostly blue anyway.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited November 2011
    How accurate was the gun, anyway?

I'd like to see a free-roaming first-person 3D game controlled by joystick and lightgun.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited November 2011
    joefish wrote: »
    How accurate was the gun, anyway?

I'd like to see a free-roaming first-person 3D game controlled by joystick and lightgun.

A wiimote for the Speccy! :D
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited November 2011
    i had a light gun for the speccy.

it was a nicely made gun, as for accuracy, hmmmmmm :p
  • edited November 2011
    mile wrote: »
    i had a light gun for the speccy.

it was a nicely made gun, as for accuracy, hmmmmmm :p

I dunno my mate had one that worked really well with Op-Wolf? No idea which one it was though, but I'm thinking it may have just been the Sinclair one? But I don't think he actually got it with his Speccy, so I could be wrong, as I'm pretty sure his +2 was the one that came with Punchy, Odd Job Eddie, Disco Dan, Oh Mummy, and wotnot?
  • edited November 2011
    The problem with the lightgun was the damn flashing when you pressed the trigger. I can remember having mass head aches after it.

As for games on the gun I would love to see a 2d versions of house of the dead games. It would also be cool to have a homebrew game where you shot other computers and consoles that invade your screen.
  • edited November 2011
    A space invaders game done in an antique shooting gallery style would be fun.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Missile Command would be a perfect game for a light gun.
  • edited December 2011
    How does the gun work on the Speccy?

The c64 one worked as a lightpen, which was great because you had a constant update and none of that annoying flashing. The downside is that you need a 50Hz CRT for it to work. Fast-scanning TVs and flatpanels kill it dead. so with that in mind if I wrote one on the C64 I'm not sure there would be many (if any) people who could still play it on real hardware.

How would I stand doing one on the Speccy?
  • edited December 2011
    sack wrote: »
    How does the gun work on the Speccy?

The c64 one worked as a lightpen, which was great because you had a constant update and none of that annoying flashing. The downside is that you need a 50Hz CRT for it to work. Fast-scanning TVs and flatpanels kill it dead. so with that in mind if I wrote one on the C64 I'm not sure there would be many (if any) people who could still play it on real hardware.

How would I stand doing one on the Speccy?

It's years since I played around with the lightgun, but from what I remember you have to read an additional register from the sound chip port. The value you get back is something like bits d0 and d1 set if the trigger is pressed, and d2 and d3 set if the gun is pointing at something bright. I think that's correct, but it has been a long time. The rest is up to you.

Assuming you don't want to mess around with timings, you could just black the screen when the trigger is pressed and highlight the sprites in binary sequence to determine which one the player has hit. You'd need 3 flashes to distinguish between 8 sprites though (actually 6 if you want to stop the player cheating by just pointing the gun at a light or dark source).
    No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • How does the computer read what coordinates the lightgun is being pointed at? The potential targets must be emitting something that can be detected?

As for game ideas, I think something like 'Davy Crockett' or 'Muzzle loader' where you have to go through the whole rigmarole to first make then use your weapon to hunt in the woods, maybe have people/animals that mustn't be shot or with disastrous consequences if you do - such as friendly Indians and grizzly bears. Your powder load should affect the range and the weather conditions should affect the pan powder and various other things that need to be set up properly to get a clean shot.
  • Operation Wolf is a lot of fun with the Mouse on a Nintendo DS using the stylus.....but you cant throw grenades...so you cant get very far.
    But anyway...
    A Combat School type thing might be good, the shooting parts.
    and
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0004692
  • The way the lightgun works on a machine that's fast enough (like the Playstation one) is to flash the screen white for one TV frame, then start timing. When the light gun detects something bright it means the TV has just drawn that bit of the screen. From the timing you can work out what line of the screen and how far along it was pointing. Though you'd have to calibrate to allow for delays in the system.

The Spectrum is fast enough to work out what row of the screen the gun is pointing at, but working out how far across, accurately, is a bit too fine a calculation to make. So some games will only flash the targets white to narrow things down. I'm not really sure if the sensor in the light gun was fast enough to do accurate positioning anyway.

The really old lightgun games on those Pong-variant consoles jsut used to rely on a single bright spot on a darker background. The sensor didn't respond fast enough to work out scan-line timing.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Maybe a challenge-type game similar to Point Blank would work well on Speccy?
  • edited November 2016
    Crossbow (1983) Exidy
    Duck Hunt (1984) Nintendo (http://zxart.ee/eng/authors/p/prof4d/duck-hunt-test/qid:49965/)
    Wild Gunman (1984) Nintendo
    Hogans Alley (1984) Nintendo
    Gumshoe (1986) Nintendo
    Chiller (1986) Exidy

This shouldn't be too difficult to produce with Nirvana+ as most are single screen, non scrolling games.

Lethal Enforcers (1992) Konami

A monochrome version of this game could be produced using a fast mass storage device to load the digitised images and background.

Did Space Gun ever allow for a light gun to be used?
    Post edited by retrogod on
  • Action Force II would be a good game to convert to light gun.