Alice in Wonderland (FULL VERSION!) on ZX Spectrum

2»

Comments

  • edited April 2010
    I have finally got around to trying this with my DivIDE+ and real 48K Spectrum. Unfortunately, all I got was: R: Tape loading error.

    Did I do something wrong? It took ages to do that as well, the sort of length of time a tape takes to load in fact. I would love to see this work on my Spectrum.
  • edited April 2010
    Can you describe in detail the steps that you took?
  • edited April 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Can you describe in detail the steps that you took?

    Sure. I downloaded the file, and saved it to my CF card. I plugged the CF card into my DivIDE+ unit, and plugged that onto the edge connector. I switched on, pressed the NMI button, selected Alice in Wonderland and then typed Load"".

    Th eImage to ZX Spectrum screen came up quickly, I typed in 1, and that sent the busy light on the Divide+ flashing furiously for ages. The first time it eventually returned a tape loading error, the second time it was still going after 30 minutes, after which I got fed up and played Tetris instead.
  • edited May 2010
    Alien 8 wrote: »
    I have finally got around to trying this with my DivIDE+ and real 48K Spectrum. Unfortunately, all I got was: R: Tape loading error.

    Did I do something wrong? It took ages to do that as well, the sort of length of time a tape takes to load in fact. I would love to see this work on my Spectrum.

    The program needs the 128k shadow screen to work, so it won't work on a 48k Speccy.

    I bumped this thread as I was hunting for this again to see how it was done. Nothing much different (only that page 5 and 7 are swapped and therefore the load always goes to 49152) from the way I was trying to do it and Digital Prawn was doing it, but I'm still confused as to why I can't get page switching to work properly every time. Sometimes I can get stuff to go to page 7, sometimes I can't. Code that works one time will not work the next time. I'm still messing around with it though.
  • edited May 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    The program needs the 128k shadow screen to work, so it won't work on a 48k Speccy.

    I bumped this thread as I was hunting for this again to see how it was done. Nothing much different (only that page 5 and 7 are swapped and therefore the load always goes to 49152) from the way I was trying to do it and Digital Prawn was doing it, but I'm still confused as to why I can't get page switching to work properly every time. Sometimes I can get stuff to go to page 7, sometimes I can't. Code that works one time will not work the next time. I'm still messing around with it though.

    OK thanks for that. I must have presumed that as it said user should be in 48K mode, I could use it on 48K Speccy.
  • edited May 2010
    Going to 48K mode or going to the 48K editor in USR 0 mode are two completely different things (as previously explained in several topics in the past few weeks). In 128K mode you should type "usr 0", then Enter, and then load "".
  • edited May 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Going to 48K mode or going to the 48K editor in USR 0 mode are two completely different things (as previously explained in several topics in the past few weeks). In 128K mode you should type "usr 0", then Enter, and then load "".

    Since I've been adding some Image to ZX Spec bug fixes (1.2.1_01) I've taken down the links as of today and have replaced them with two 7.14FPS for black simple (48K compatible but flickers) and black buffered (128K only) - links below. 1.2.1_01 will be available on my website in a few hours.

    1.2.1_01 changes:
    - Fixed thread safety issue which might occasionally cause missed frames.
    - Removed some unnecessary code and shortened after conversion wait.
    - Updated text on BASIC loaders to describe what the delay does.
    - Added new BASIC black simple loader.
    - Updated readme text.

    Download Alice in Wonderland (48K)
    Download Alice in Wonderland (128K buffered)
  • edited May 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Since I've been adding some Image to ZX Spec bug fixes (1.2.1_01) I've taken down the links as of today and have replaced them with two 7.14FPS for black simple (48K compatible but flickers) and black buffered (128K only) - links below. 1.2.1_01 will be available on my website in a few hours.

    1.2.1_01 changes:
    - Fixed thread safety issue which might occasionally cause missed frames.
    - Removed some unnecessary code and shortened after conversion wait.
    - Updated text on BASIC loaders to describe what the delay does.
    - Added new BASIC black simple loader.
    - Updated readme text.

    Download Alice in Wonderland (48K)
    Download Alice in Wonderland (128K buffered)

    So I can use it on 48K now?
  • edited May 2010
    Yes. :) ..................................
  • edited May 2010
    Going OT slightly, I couldn't get Image to ZX Spec to work on my Mac. Do you know where I can get a newer version of Java that will allow me to run it, as I think that might be the problem? I found the latest version, but I need a newer version of Leopard to install it :( I'm on 10.5.4 and it needed 10.5.8 IIRC.
  • edited May 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Yes. :) ..................................

    Thanks ZXBruno, actually, in the end I answered my own question. I was quite amazed at how good it was.
  • edited May 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    Going OT slightly, I couldn't get Image to ZX Spec to work on my Mac. Do you know where I can get a newer version of Java that will allow me to run it, as I think that might be the problem? I found the latest version, but I need a newer version of Leopard to install it :( I'm on 10.5.4 and it needed 10.5.8 IIRC.

    It has been tested on Java 1.6.0_16 upwards (IIRC, _18 could be the minimum).

    Unfortunately it's not back portable to Java 5 because it uses Java 6's concurrency framework for the work dispatcher... however you may have some luck with earlier versions prior to 1.1 on Java 5... have a browse here:
    Code repository for Image to ZX Spec
    Unfortunately I can't guarantee this as they may have been compiled with Java 6 only flag (as that's the base version I was working with).
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks Brownb2, I've just tried 1.0, but I'm still getting an error on startup.


    Console log...
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251) 
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)
    

    I'm guessing it is complaining about the wrong version of Java from the first line there.

    I'll keep trying earlier and earlier versions of it though and report back...


    EDIT: Ah, right, there aren't any before 1.0.

    I wonder if I could compile the source and see if that works?
  • edited May 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    Thanks Brownb2, I've just tried 1.0, but I'm still getting an error on startup.


    Console log...
    05/05/2010 13:06:08 [0x0-0xd90d9].com.apple.JarLauncher[1315] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file 
    

    I'm guessing it is complaining about the wrong version of Java from the first line there.

    I'll keep trying earlier and earlier versions of it though and report back...


    EDIT: Ah, right, there aren't any before 1.0.

    I wonder if I could compile the source and see if that works?

    You are correct in that it's complaining about the Java version. I always release as version 1.0 anything less than that is "inhouse".

    x => Major revision involving rewrite/new functionality
    x.x => Large new functionality
    x.x.x => New functionality, large number of fixes
    x.x.x_xx => Bug fixes to the x.x.x version (possibly some small functionality changes)

    The 1.0.5 and below will probably compile at Java 5... if I get time tonight I'll put out an unsupported 1.0.5 version compiled for Java 5 (if it will compile).
  • edited May 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    The 1.0.5 and below will probably compile at Java 5... if I get time tonight I'll put out an unsupported 1.0.5 version compiled for Java 5 (if it will compile).

    Thanks, that would be excellent if it works! Absolutely no chance of getting Java 6 running on my poor old G4 here, although I've managed to get a package with it installed. It just needs an 64 bit Intel Mac to work, not a Power PC one.
  • edited May 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    Thanks, that would be excellent if it works!

    Fortunately the concurrency framework was introduced in Java 5 (not 6) so only a few source code modifications were needed to get 1.2.1_01 working.

    You can get the Java 5 compatible 1.2.1_01 build at http://mirror.viperfang.net/silentdevelopments/downloads/imagetozxspec/imagetozxspec_java5_1.2.1_01.zip

    Hope that helps :)

    If the UI looks wrong anywhere please let me know, it'd be great if you could give me a screen shot of the main screen (the one which shows original+converted image) too so I can gauge the window layout :)
  • edited May 2010
    Sorry for the delay on this, I was busy yesterday.

    Everything works, except it just doesn't produce the files at the end. None of the options seem to produce anything. I select the output folder alone and nothing happens. If I do that and then type something as a filename into the box, still nothing. I can't find the files anywhere on my machine.

    Picture3.png
  • edited May 2010
    Actually, don't worry, I've got it now. There is a quirk in the folder selection where you have to just select and not double click into the folder you want the files to go into. I was double clicking.
  • edited May 2010
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2668371/tomorrowsworld.tap.zip

    Something I just converted, 12fps, simple method. Seems a bit jerky on Fuse, whilst Alice in Wonderland seemed quite smooth.
  • edited May 2010
    mulder wrote: »
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2668371/tomorrowsworld.tap.zip

    Something I just converted, 12fps, simple method. Seems a bit jerky on Fuse, whilst Alice in Wonderland seemed quite smooth.

    I tried the Java 5 version at 12 FPS with the 80s Speccy advert on YouTube video and it wasn't jerky - I think their may have been a problem with your initial source video?
  • edited May 2010
    brownb2 wrote: »
    I tried the Java 5 version at 12 FPS with the 80s Speccy advert on YouTube video and it wasn't jerky - I think their may have been a problem with your initial source video?

    Yeah, that's probably it. It was smooth when converting another video.
Sign In or Register to comment.