Which two games show the progress made over the lifetime of the Spectrum

edited May 2010 in Games
Just voted for Batty on the free cover-tape poll.

It made me think of the massive leap from thru the wall in 1982 to Batty in 1987.

Which game from the early days (which was considered decent) would you place next to one from the tail-end to show how much progress was made?
Post edited by mickmog on

Comments

• edited April 2010
    perhaps Ant Attack and Head over Heals? showing the advancement of isometric games? or should that be either Gun Fright or Night shade due to the open map rather than the room by room approach of Head over Heals.

you could have Artics World Cup Football to Kick Off? or should the comparison be Match Day because then they're both side-on footy games?

do you mean by genre, or by genre and similar look?
  • edited April 2010
    3D Starstrike and Starglider 2

A sad indictment on how games were were becoming steadly more technically impressive whilst at the same time becoming far less fun to play

Adventure A to The Lord Of The Rings

Simple verb/noun engine became a complex parser allowing the player to enter a string of complex commands whilst controlling several characters.
  • edited April 2010
    Manic Miner and odd job Eddie.

oh wait, that's not right.
  • edited April 2010
    mickmog wrote: »
    It made me think of the massive leap from thru the wall in 1982 to Batty in 1987.
    Those Psion tapes are definitely a good starting point for a comparison. From that series, Chequered Flag is a good first step to compare against later racing games.
  • edited April 2010
    I'd go, Ant Attack->Great Escape on the 3D ones

but I'd say the Spectrums best were before the end,
  • edited April 2010
    Zaph0dd wrote: »
    Manic Miner and odd job Eddie.

oh wait, that's not right.

*Clutches left arm

AAAARGH! Call 911!!!! :D
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited April 2010
    I understand that both should be good, but later should be more technically advanced.

So:

Chequered Flag and Chase H.Q.

Fred and Batman the Movie.

Hungry Horace and Pacmania.
  • edited April 2010
    combat zone -> castle master
  • edited April 2010
    Match Day I Vs Emylin Hughes? I remember when I got Emylin It felt like a completely diferent football universe to me when compared to Match Day! (I never played MDII back in the day... and nowadays, the charecters still look like gummy bears)
  • edited April 2010
    Penetrator to R-Type?
  • edited April 2010
    Catch 23 to Wolfenstein2004 :P
  • edited April 2010
    VanTammen wrote: »
    Match Day I Vs Emylin Hughes? I remember when I got Emylin It felt like a completely diferent football universe to me when compared to Match Day! (I never played MDII back in the day... and nowadays, the charecters still look like gummy bears)

Good call. I remember being amazed that goalkeeps now jump and dived , catching the ball , instead of just bouncing off. Players could accelerate , pass in several directions (including backheels) and different strengths of shot - all with one fire button (try THAT FIFA/Evo). Perhaps the most groundbreaking sports game ever.

Oh ,btw, great idea for a thread
  • edited April 2010
    3D Starstrike and Starglider 2

A sad indictment on how games were were becoming steadly more technically impressive whilst at the same time becoming far less fun to play.

I loved Starglider! And let's be honest, Starstrike was pushing the copyright infringement laws to the limit, and was also just a simple blaster too!
  • edited April 2010
    Rebelstar Raiders and Laser Squad

The former was, and still, is a brilliant game. However, the moves from single screen to scrolling map, BASIC to machine code, and strictly two player to a passable AI really show how the strategy genre had moved on in the intervening years.
  • edited April 2010
    I loved Starglider!

Me too. Amazing game ! Along with Carrier Command, an amazing feat of 16 to 8 bit conversion.
  • edited April 2010
    Sard wrote: »
    Me too. Amazing game ! Along with Carrier Command, an amazing feat of 16 to 8 bit conversion.

Starglider was pretty good - I was referring to the sequel
  • edited April 2010
    Uchi Mata > Fist :razz:
    Turbo Esprit > Chase H.Q.
  • edited April 2010
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Turbo Esprit > Chase H.Q.

I'm not sure I completely agree with you there.

There are definitely parallels but I wouldn't say Chase H.Q. improved upon Turbo Esprit.
  • edited April 2010
    pick pocket (1983) http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003702

ghost castles (2005) http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0014904

similar concept, massively improved graphics and gameplay in ghost castles.

the fact there ar so many very good games still coming out means I think it would be unfair to say the lifetime of the spec ended when they stopped making them. ( not that anyone is saying that, just an observation)
  • edited April 2010
    Escape - Where Time Stood Still

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001645
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005671

I would also nominate The Sentinel but I can't think of an equivalent from the early years
    General Malthadius Zoff
    Magenta icon
  • edited April 2010
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    I'm not sure I completely agree with you there.

There are definitely parallels but I wouldn't say Chase H.Q. improved upon Turbo Esprit.

Concurrence here.

For me Turbo is a better game
  • edited April 2010
    def chris wrote: »
    pick pocket (1983) http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003702

ghost castles (2005) http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0014904

the fact there ar so many very good games still coming out means I think it would be unfair to say the lifetime of the spec ended when they stopped making them. ( not that anyone is saying that, just an observation)

to cap it you could say when games were still commercially viable?
    azward wrote: »
    Concurrence here.

For me Turbo is a better game

I don't think you can compare tha games either, Chase H.Q was a damn fine racer but what was the first to compare it to, pole position? I don't think it could be compare to Chequered Flag either as it was more of an attempt at a sim.

For me Turbo Esprit was more of a 'sandbox' game and I can't think of another title that ever came close to it.
  • edited April 2010
    Starglider was pretty good - I was referring to the sequel

Ahh well thats true. Was a bit too much for the ol speccy to handle really. Was great on the Amiga though. One of the games that made me buy one.
  • edited April 2010
    I would probably go with something like...

Manic Miner to Rainbow Islands.....
  • edited April 2010
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    to cap it you could say when games were still commercially viable?
    fair enough, in which case when's the cut-off point? I think turbo the tortiose was '93, and I remember that being one of the last 'big' games that got released, and also (I think) the year YS finished. could be wrong, but it's either 93 or very early 94 when things got officially phased out if I remember...
  • fogfog
    edited April 2010
    the worth / value of a game came into it though , even near the end of big commercial releases.. I bet the budgets were affected and the leap from well ?5-10-?25 (16 bit) was a bit WTF..

on one hand you have a less commercial game.. BUT on the other you have shed load of tricks that weren't used back in the day... not being SO clued up on speccy, I'll give a c64 example.. mayhem in monsterland (you can get it on the wii also from what I saw)... which would have been interesting to see if it was released a few years earlier.
  • edited April 2010
    def chris wrote: »
    fair enough, in which case when's the cut-off point? I think turbo the tortiose was '93, and I remember that being one of the last 'big' games that got released, and also (I think) the year YS finished. could be wrong, but it's either 93 or very early 94 when things got officially phased out if I remember...

Turbo was released in '92, Dizzy we did around Oct/Nov the same year so I'd agree and say '93 as a cut off point for UK releases anyway.

I Know CK Dizzy was probably one of the last commercial releases on the speccy for codies but I'm not 100% sure, they were still doing C64 releases. Although I did graphics for Great British Rally on the C64 for Zak Townsend but I don't know if it was ever released. The final C64 game I should have worked on was Fists of Fury a sort of Streets of Rage beat 'em up. I'd started on the sprites, codies were trying to get the lisence for the name but nothing came of it. There were no plans for a speccy version, although I was going to be doing the Amiga and Mega-Drive versions, which I thought was weird.

edit: in 93 it seem Alternative had their last couple of releases, although Zenobi were still going. It seems after this point it was tape magazines and mail order only (bit like back to the start of it all). But are we being pesumptious saying 93 just because it ended in the UK?
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I suppose another example of what I was thinking would be Gulpman to Earthshaker.

Games from a similar genre (both of which were considered decent in the day) but the latter showed the great strides made in programming.

As someone who focused on the speccie from 82 to 85 - then went out drinking - it is interesting to hear about some of the remarkable feats achieved during the machine's old age!
  • edited May 2010
    Orbiter to Defenda also springs to mind!
  • edited May 2010
    Thro the wall - Buzzsaw

Wonder what advancements will be made in the next 30 years?