New BASin (Alpha Release 9) up

edited September 2003 in Development
Hi all,

Since you're more interested in here about BASin, here's the new update announcement.

There's no major changes to the way the system works, but some more neat things have been added, and some bugs have been fixed:

Released, and may god have mercy on my soul. Please report bugs!
Removed the software filtering - and te display may look a bit worse when resizing the window. If anyone wants it back in, email me :-)
Added prompts to save any changes to your curent project when you quit BASin.
Added window menu options to resize to 100% and 200% size, and also to force the aspect ratio for windows that have gotten squashed or squeezed.
Fixed a small bug which allowed the Memory editor to crash the app when it's resized.
Added the UDG Editor! This is a simple 8x8 char editor, but works well. Outputs to saved code blocks, and directly to the editor too.
Fixed the selection offsets, any selection now includes the character that the cursor is currently "on", so when you press delete, that character is deleted as well as any selected characters. (Thanks to Bethany Carlton for pointing that one out).
Added correct keyboard ascii handling - non-UK keyboards reproduce the correct characters. Previously, Shift-2 would produce a " character, even on US keyboards which would produce an @ symbol.
Added the ability to read the copyright symbol (? - Alt-0169, if you can't see it) from .bas files (suggested by Bethany Carlton).
Fixed a small bug in the selection code - no more totally black lines... :-)
Fixed an Annoying bug in the token window, which prevented the UDGs from working properly.

So Get it from:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/BASin_r9.exe

I'll upload to WOS in a couple of days if nobody reports any major bugs.

Thanks,
Dunny.
Post edited by Dunny on

Comments

• edited September 2003
    Cheers! I'm a basic coder thru and thru so this is just up my street.. :)

/me clicks to download and check it out
  • edited September 2003

Added the UDG Editor! This is a simple 8x8 char editor, but works well. Outputs to saved code blocks, and directly to the editor too.

This is very cool!

Good job :)

Bethany
  • edited September 2003
    Thanks guys :)

I've got a smallish list of bugs, so I'm working to a resolution before I upload 0.9a to WOS.

These are, in no particular order (and a big shout of thanks to the peeps in #zx on irc.astrolink.org for testing) -

A large-ish bug with long lines - any line longer than a screenful will crash BASin.

A problem with a vanishing edit box in the Goto/Run To dialogs

A bug in the Find... window (which did not find from the start of BASIC memory)

A bug in the evaluation window that blanked the edit line after an evaluation.

Other than that, it appears to be very stable indeed :)

I'm starting to plan the compiler at the minute, so that should be making an appearance in a future release.

In the meantime, there is now an option to run at full PC speed rather than speccy speed.

D.
  • edited September 2003
    On 2003-09-03 10:56, Dunny wrote:
    I'm starting to plan the compiler at the minute, so that should be making an appearance in a future release.

Ah, you're doing it now?
    Lemme just delete this here source then :p
  • edited September 2003
    On 2003-09-03 17:27, Woody wrote:
    Ah, you're doing it now?
    Lemme just delete this here source then :P

Argh! I'm only *planning* it - as I discussed with you the other night!

Crikey, you don't seriously think I could ever write *anything* without your input do you? Without you, none of my projects would exist!

:-p

D.

[ This Message was edited by: Dunny on 2003-09-03 23:00 ]
  • edited September 2003
    So what's your plan then?
  • edited September 2003
    On 2003-09-03 23:26, Woody wrote:
    So what's your plan then?

To start by compiling to point at ROM routines, before gradually converting each routine into my own, and then starting on optimising :)

Which is pretty much what you suggested, yes?

:p

D.
  • edited September 2003
    Nothing like keeping things simple.